Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I don't know actually mate, I've thrown the wrapper away now, but I think it may have actually been Scottish 👍
:thumbsup:. Just having a nice cuppa, bit scary here at the moment. Have a gale force storm going through, the wind is blowing it's guts out.:eek:.

MfybftI.jpg

:thumbsup:. Just having a nice cuppa, bit scary here at the moment. Have a gale force storm going through, the wind is blowing it's guts out.:eek:.

MfybftI.jpg
Hope you're going to be OK 👍 You can't beat a nice cuppa, and those Waynorth Lambs take some beating too :) :thumbsup:

In terms of the history of the firm, they were established by William Needham in 1884, being based in Jessop Street, Sheffield, and after 1911, in Eyre Street. After William died in 1915, his son, William Henry Needham continued to run the firm, moving to Portland Works on Hill Street in the 1930's. Portland Works, which still stands, was famously, where Sheffield cutlers R.F. Moseley were based, who assisted Harry Brearley in producing the world's first stainless steel knives. It was also the home of Jack Black Knives, in the early 1990's ;) Needham's continued until the 1970's.
KPg4tL0.jpg

Being doing a bit of research and found this.

Lunch time here, and cold, all this talk of cheese toasties got me inspired. A lesson in making one.
Step one, BUTTER your bread on the outside of the " Sanga ".☺️.
THjIxmP.jpg

Step two, slice up some nice tasty cheese. Unfortunately i don't have the luxury of Crumbly English Cheddar. Pile on the bread, then place the other slice on top.
YEFopYB.jpg

Place in medium hot pan with some olive oil. Turn pan on before you begin.
xEFfdte.jpg

Flip when done to your liking on first side, remove when done, slice and enjoy. Can spread your favourite condiment over top side before slicing if you like.:thumbsup:.
hQD6scP.jpg

Last edited:
Lunch time here, and cold, all this talk of cheese toasties got me inspired. A lesson in making one.
THjIxmP.jpg

Step two, slice up some nice tasty cheese. Unfortunately i don't have the luxury of Crumbly English Cheddar. Pile on on bread, then place the other slice on top.
YEFopYB.jpg

xEFfdte.jpg

Flip when done to your liking on first side, remove when done, slice and enjoy. Can spread your favourite condiment over top side before slicing if you like.:thumbsup:.
hQD6scP.jpg
Looks good.
That's how we make a toasted cheese sandwich round these parts.

THjIxmP.jpg

Step two, slice up some nice tasty cheese. Unfortunately i don't have the luxury of Crumbly English Cheddar. Pile on the bread, then place the other slice on top.
YEFopYB.jpg

xEFfdte.jpg

hQD6scP.jpg
An excellent tutorial, and a tasty-looking toastie Leon! :cool: :thumbsup:

I finally managed to find a previously-taken pic of that Needham price-list. Jack Howarth was the last owner the well-known Howarth's cutlery firm, and owned Wright's prior to John Maleham. He made knives for many other Sheffield cutlery firms, including Joseph Wright's, and I assume he had some business with Needham's. These papers were among a number given to me by John :thumbsup:

krqY4Gn.jpg

SsFPHpp.jpg

1u83P1W.jpg

Here's an old pic of Portland Works, which housed a number of manufacturers. The main entrance is directly under the clock.

Frontage800x533.jpg

I was there almost every day throughout 1993, and halfway through 1994.

EWHWzs6.jpg

Good morning Guardians, that's another week flashed by, and I hope everyone has had a good one. I have quite a bit of stuff to catch up with today, both here on The Porch, and at home, but I'm supposed to be taking one of my elderly neighbours for a coffee sometime this morning. I hope everyone has a good day, and that you're looking forward to the weekend :thumbsup:

6VMa4sO.jpg

THjIxmP.jpg

YEFopYB.jpg

xEFfdte.jpg

hQD6scP.jpg

Looks tasty, Leon! :thumbsup: That’s pretty much what we’d call a grilled cheese, except the chutney part, although you might see something like that in a place that makes “fancy” grilled cheese (when I lived in Fayetteville, AR there was a restaurant whose whole menu was different grilled cheese sandwiches; some of them were quite… interesting.)

I finally managed to find a previously-taken pic of that Needham price-list. Jack Howarth was the last owner the well-known Howarth's cutlery firm, and owned Wright's prior to John Maleham. He made knives for many other Sheffield cutlery firms, including Joseph Wright's, and I assume he had some business with Needham's. These papers were among a number given to me by John :thumbsup:

krqY4Gn.jpg

SsFPHpp.jpg

1u83P1W.jpg

Here's an old pic of Portland Works, which housed a number of manufacturers. The main entrance is directly under the clock.

Frontage800x533.jpg

EWHWzs6.jpg

Interesting stuff, Jack, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: I particularly enjoy seeing the handwriting on old documents like that.

I posted this photo here a few months back when I bought this bottle. I finally cracked it open last night, so I figured I’d post it again. 😁🥃

brEk8H0.jpg

Looks tasty, Leon! :thumbsup: That’s pretty much what we’d call a grilled cheese, except the chutney part, although you might see something like that in a place that makes “fancy” grilled cheese (when I lived in Fayetteville, AR there was a restaurant whose whole menu was different grilled cheese sandwiches; some of them were quite… interesting.)

Interesting stuff, Jack, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: I particularly enjoy seeing the handwriting on old documents like that.

I posted this photo here a few months back when I bought this bottle. I finally cracked it open last night, so I figured I’d post it again. 😁🥃

brEk8H0.jpg
I think if you were to ask for a grilled cheese sandwich here, most people are probably familiar enough with the term, for you to get something approximating to one. In the past decade or two, I've also seen the term 'melt' use, which I think is imported, as in 'cheese melt', though be aware that a 'melt' is more traditionally used, particularly in London, to mean a coward :D

Yes, barely anyone writes like that anymore do they? :(

Hope you enjoyed a dram or two Barrett :) I still have a few un-opened bottles kicking around, including a Lagavulin 16. I've still not tried that one, or seen it actually, but there are fewer and fewer independent liquor stores here, most of the trade having gone to the supermarkets :( :thumbsup:

krqY4Gn.jpg

SsFPHpp.jpg

1u83P1W.jpg

Frontage800x533.jpg

EWHWzs6.jpg
Sure would be cool to find a Jack Black knife.
Good morning Guardians, that's another week flashed by, and I hope everyone has had a good one. I have quite a bit of stuff to catch up with today, both here on The Porch, and at home, but I'm supposed to be taking one of my elderly neighbours for a coffee sometime this morning. I hope everyone has a good day, and that you're looking forward to the weekend :thumbsup:

6VMa4sO.jpg

We had the inappropriately-named Miss Kinder to beat it into us as kids :rolleyes: A good job she's not around to see my handwriting now! :eek: ;)
I love that bit in the Blues Brothers, where the nun whacks them and every time she whacks them they swear, and every time they swear she whacks them.

I crave my coffee of a morning. I think it's more the ritual than the caffeine, though the the warmth is a factor this time of year and life.
4m7pGQY.jpg

6VMa4sO.jpg
Good morning Jack - or in your case good afternoon. A very fine photo of a very fine knife. Starting off a little cloudy and moist here in NC but the weather man says it will get more sunny later on. In the mean time I will be carrying my HHB again.

brEk8H0.jpg
A fine dram and a fine Lambsfoot knife as well! Lagavulin is my favorite Scotch. I like Ardbeg and Laphroig as well as most Islay whiskey.

Good morning Guardians, hope your Fall Season is going well.

IMG_3050.JPG

Sure would be cool to find a Jack Black knife.
John Maleham offered to stamp up the SFOs Wright's made for me with a Jack Black Knives stamp. I didn't take him up on it at the time, though I reserved the option for the future. Had I known what was going to happen with his old company, and how they would behave, I wouldn't have wanted their name on my knives, and I regret not doing what some of their other customers have done, and either had them stamped with my mark, or the generic 'Made in Sheffield' mark. I have always tried to be open and honest, but sadly, not everyone in the world is like that :(
I love that bit in the Blues Brothers, where the nun whacks them and every time she whacks them they swear, and every time they swear she whacks them.
Yes, me too! :D It's parodied in the second Charlie's Angels film :thumbsup:

I crave my coffee of a morning. I think it's more the ritual than the caffeine, though the the warmth is a factor this time of year and life.
4m7pGQY.jpg
I really enjoyed mine this morning, had it with a croissant at the local Sicilian-Moroccan cafe I've been going to recently. They make great coffee, and I got a free one this morning :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Jack - or in your case good afternoon. A very fine photo of a very fine knife. Starting off a little cloudy and moist here in NC but the weather man says it will get more sunny later on. In the mean time I will be carrying my HHB again.

A fine dram and a fine Lambsfoot knife as well! Lagavulin is my favorite Scotch. I like Ardbeg and Laphroig as well as most Islay whiskey.

Good morning Guardians, hope your Fall Season is going well.

View attachment 1669814

Thanks Bill, that looks like a tasty bagel there with your Barlow :) Enjoy the sunshine buddy, I managed to get to town and back before it started raining again :thumbsup:

Back