Guess what I got?!?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by A.McPherson, Mar 25, 2020.

1. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Ohhhhh yeaaaaa!!!
    Thanks JT!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Natlek, FredyCro, kmf600 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Nice!!!

3. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i got mine too ! i was curious of suggestions on how thick the edge should be before sharpening, and how far back the main bevel should go.

4. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Yeah, I don't know either, I suppose it really depends what you envision it's use to be...

Carving axe? Splitting? Fighting? Entry tool?

Each will have different grinds, different edge thicknesses. I think I'll probably go with a full, or nearly full flat, back to the middle of the checks for the first one. Then maybe a hollow grind or two...

john april likes this.
  5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    On a belt axe this size, the best edge is usually around .020 before sharpening, and run the bevel back about 1/2". That puts the edge angle at around 20° inclusive.

Grind the bevel to the .020" thick edge and then slightly convex it toa sharp edge to make it more robust.

john april and Storm W like this.
  6. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    thanks for the input ! i probably would have went 2 inches back with the bevel and made too fragile and knife-like. i hope someone starts a thread where we can show what we have done with them.

7. N.W. Gean

N.W. Gean

Oct 10, 2018
    I got mine the other day. I haven't touched them yet because I have no idea about axe geometry. Knife bevels are giving me enough trouble :D