Guess what I got?!?

A.McPherson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ohhhhh yeaaaaa!!!
Thanks JT!!

y6kQ5Dx.jpg

Last edited:
i got mine too ! i was curious of suggestions on how thick the edge should be before sharpening, and how far back the main bevel should go.

Yeah, I don't know either, I suppose it really depends what you envision it's use to be...

Carving axe? Splitting? Fighting? Entry tool?

Each will have different grinds, different edge thicknesses. I think I'll probably go with a full, or nearly full flat, back to the middle of the checks for the first one. Then maybe a hollow grind or two...

On a belt axe this size, the best edge is usually around .020 before sharpening, and run the bevel back about 1/2". That puts the edge angle at around 20° inclusive.

Grind the bevel to the .020" thick edge and then slightly convex it toa sharp edge to make it more robust.

thanks for the input ! i probably would have went 2 inches back with the bevel and made too fragile and knife-like. i hope someone starts a thread where we can show what we have done with them.

I got mine the other day. I haven't touched them yet because I have no idea about axe geometry. Knife bevels are giving me enough trouble :D

Back