Guitar WIP

Phillip, was that a drop of glue on the fretboard, do you glue the frets in? Is it typical to glue the frets in? If so, it must not be too difficult to tap old frets out when the neck is in need of re-fretting.

Yep, that was crazy glue. On my first guitar, the frets were a little loose, so I decided to glue these in. Although, I used different fretwire for this one, and the fit was tighter, so I could have done without it.

It might make it harder to take the frets off, but I think there are solvents that would loosen the glue. I have seen others use glue, though I think it's not typical.

The heating blanket I ordered FINALLY came in, so last night I bent the first side, and this morning the second one. I also glued the kerfing on both sides. I'll probably get the sides glued to the top today yet.

gwip-203.jpg

gwip-204.jpg

gwip-205.jpg

gwip-206.jpg

gwip-207.jpg

gwip-208.jpg

gwip-209.jpg

gwip-210.jpg

gwip-211.jpg

gwip-212.jpg

Dude, I expected this done by now...

:D

j/k I know you're not Nick Wheeler!:eek:

:eek: Now I see why there is a 2 year wait period for your knives... You make guitars too!

you are very talented and obviously not afraid to try something new. Great work!

:eek: Now I see why there is a 2 year wait period for your knives... You make guitars too!

you are very talented and obviously not afraid to try something new. Great work!

Thanks!
I'm trying not to let the guitar making affect the knife waiting list. Knife production has actually gone up the last couple months. :)

I got the back glued on today, and the top and back routed for the binding:

gwip-224.jpg

gwip-225.jpg

gwip-226.jpg

gwip-227.jpg

gwip-228.jpg

And I just bent the pieces of walnut that will be the binding. I bent 13 pieces at once, which is enough for 3 guitars, with one extra piece.

gwip-229.jpg

gwip-230.jpg

This WIP ROCKS:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Coming along very nice Phillip, looking forward to the finished product. Talk about skill:eek:

Chris

gwip-237.jpg

A few days ago I inlayed the abalone fret marker dots:

gwip-238.jpg

I got the binding glued on. So far, I think the binding is my least favorite part of the whole process...

gwip-239.jpg

gwip-240.jpg

gwip-241.jpg

gwip-242.jpg

Here the neck is temporarily attached so I can locate the bridge:

gwip-243.jpg

gwip-244.jpg

gwip-245.jpg

gwip-246.jpg

Love it, love it, LOVE IT! I always enjoy these threads. Watching traditional and skillful work in wood or metal is always a pleasure!

--nathan

Not much to add right now. I'm in the lacquer spraying stage, but here's a few pics of that:

gwip-255.jpg

gwip-256.jpg

gwip-257.jpg

gwip-258.jpg

gwip-259.jpg

Or tomorrow...

After letting the lacquer cure for a couple weeks, it's now time to sand and buff the guitar, glue the bridge on, level the frets, set the action, etc.

Today I polished the neck, and installed the tuning machines:

gwip-260.jpg

gwip-261.jpg

gwip-262.jpg

gwip-263.jpg

gwip-264.jpg

gwip-265.jpg

Phillip,

The polishing is coming out very very nicely. If I could afford a hand built, I'd probably contract you to make if for me.

I am interested in another acoustic, but it will have a cutaway on the lower bout as I am more of an electric player and I would really like to reach those upper frets when doing acoustic lead and melodies lines.

I checked out a Martin with a cutaway, but it was selling for over 2G at the Guitar Center, well a guy can dream can't he? :)

Can't wait to see it when it's finished. :thumbup:

Phillip,

The polishing is coming out very very nicely. If I could afford a hand built, I'd probably contract you to make if for me.

I am interested in another acoustic, but it will have a cutaway on the lower bout as I am more of an electric player and I would really like to reach those upper frets when doing acoustic lead and melodies lines.

I checked out a Martin with a cutaway, but it was selling for over 2G at the Guitar Center, well a guy can dream can't he? :)

Can't wait to see it when it's finished. :thumbup:

Well, I'm honored that would want one of mine. I don't know yet if I'll be making any to order, but I would like to sell some. Mostly just to help pay for the habit. :D

I got the guitar all sanded and ready to buff, but I want to glue on the bridge and fingerboard first. Bridge down, fingerboard to go:

gwip-266.jpg

gwip-267.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on the nut for the truss rod, then I'll be able to attach the neck/fingerboard. In the meantime, I need to work on knives. :foot:

Back