Gun Bluing a SOG Tigershark

I recently heard about the SOG Midnight Tiger which was their Tigershark with a blued SK-5 blade. Having recently purchased a first generation Tigershark with the SK-5 blade, and with some encouragement from a certain moderator, I went crazy and bought a small bottle of Birchwood Casey’s Super Blue gun blue liquid.

Arriving home I actually read the directions before beginning and then cleaned the blade several times with denatured alcohol. I doubled-up a large piece of aluminum foil to create a small catch basin and placed this on the workbench and the Tigershark within. Taking two big gulps of Guinness then several deep deep breaths and wearing rubber gloves I began to swab the gun blue over the blade with a small cotton rag. Instant blotching, but I kept going, really rubbing the liquid into the steel. The instructions said let soak for 30 seconds but I kept swabbing with new liquid for 2 or 3 minutes and rubbing it in.

I took the knife into the kitchen and put it under the faucet to rinse (per instructions), then dried it with a soft towel. What a mess. Since the directions said “steel wool” I found some super-fine in my junk box and very gently buffed..... wow, what a difference, now the blade really began to look great, the blotchies went away.

So I alcohol cleaned it again and swabbed again, then rinsed and dried and steel wool’ed. WOW, lookin’ good !! About this time a pal called and said, “Zumaya’s, 20 minutes, be there.” If you know anything about Uptown Whittier, CA you know that is a call which must be obeyed.

Two hours later I’m again alcohol cleaning the blade, swabbing, rinsing, drying, and steel wool’ing. WOW, LOOKIN’ GOOD !! The directions say to use some kind of oil, so I get out the DuraLube and soak the blade for awhile, then gently steel wool it, wipe it, and again give it a DuraLube soak. Then “The Simpson’s” gave me another reason to pause.

A great Friday afternoon/evening project with excellent success. The worst part is that I don’t have a digital camera to take any pictures. I’m thinking it would take some someone with good equipment and much skill, neither of which I have.

Well, that’s it. The blade looks great, a deep non-shiny blue. It doesn’t have the lustrous shine of the SOG Bowie but this Tigershark’s new bluing is nice and even, not splotchy at all. And with a little DuraLube on the blade there is even a dash of irridescence. It looks as good as I’d hoped it would.

Cheers,

Carl

Sounds very cool!
Send it to me, and I'll take perfect pictures of it!!! I won't consider the task done until I am completely satisfied!!!:D ;) :cool: :p

Ain't nothin' like a cold blue steel.
Here's a 'family lineup' that illustrates the size of the Tigershark. http://www.preziosocoltellerie.com/images/catspo38.jpg
How's that for sheer size.

BobbyB: Just wanted to say, "Keep it up, Bud!".
You still are a great vice-mod.
Also, I don't think Carl wants to dispose just yet ;-)
Ain't that so Carl?

Later boyz.

Krizzard, out

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

Did someone mention something about a new Modorator? Was talking to Loretta last week and she told me that there is a new guy in training that will take over soon. Maybe I'll call her back Monday and get some more inside information.;)

Originally posted by wildmanh
Did someone mention something about a new Modorator? Was talking to Loretta last week and she told me that there is a new guy in training that will take over soon. Maybe I'll call her back Monday and get some more inside information.;)

:grumpy:In a hurry to get rid of me, are you???:p ;)
There will probably be someone taking over, I just don't know when...

I'll let you know right after it happens...:rolleyes: :footinmou

"There will probably be someone taking over"

There better not be cause they will suck compared to you:( :( :(

Originally posted by z17813
"There will probably be someone taking over"

There better not be cause they will suck compared to you:( :( :(
OK, you can stay...:D
I'm sure Heber didn't mean it to be mean...;) maybe we'll only edit every other word...:p
I'm sure that even if Spencer replaces me with someone else, I'll still hang around...:D :D :D

Sorry Bobby, didn't mean to sound mean or anything. I hope the powers that be, keep you on as Co-Modorator for a long time. I'm just curious as to when Rons replacement will be taking over Rons duties. Plus, I want the skinny on SHOT/the new products.

Hey Bobby, you heared anything about the new products that are coming out shortly?

BTW Blueing the Tigershark sounds way cool. How's the finish holding up?

The bluing on the Tigershark is holding up just fine.

Matter of fact, it did battle with 2-1/2 lbs of BBQ'ed tri-tip this very evening, slicing up perfectly plentiful plate-proportioned pieces.... which the SOG Bowie then further reduced to bite size.

No problems..... no problems at all.

Sorry Bobby, didn't mean to sound mean or anything. I hope the powers that be, keep you on as Co-Modorator for a long time. I'm just curious as to when Rons replacement will be taking over Rons duties. Plus, I want the skinny on SHOT/the new products.

Hey Bobby, you heared anything about the new products that are coming out shortly?

BTW Blueing the Tigershark sounds way cool. How's the finish holding up?

Heber, it won't be up to me...:confused: But, I don't take offense, I'm just joshin' ya!

They won't tell me what's new, but I'm guessing at a new "concept" of some sort...:confused: - last year it was SAT, this year...???
We'll have to check the industry websites. Last year they had pics of the new SOG products before Ron did...:D

Originally posted by Bobby B
Heber, it won't be up to me...:confused: But, I don't take offense, I'm just joshin' ya!

They won't tell me what's new, but I'm guessing at a new "concept" of some sort...:confused: - last year it was SAT, this year...???
We'll have to check the industry websites. Last year they had pics of the new SOG products before Ron did...:D

Hee hee hee. I remember that. Well, if you figure it out, please let us know. Loretta ain't talking.(But she is sendign me a new catalog with the new products in it. Wonder when it will show up)

Originally posted by New Pig Hunter

Matter of fact, it did battle with 2-1/2 lbs of BBQ'ed tri-tip this very evening, slicing up perfectly plentiful plate-proportioned pieces.... which the SOG Bowie then further reduced to bite size.

Glad it's holding up. Did you manage to get any pics of the knife or carnage?:D:p LOL

I've been working on changing the Edge on my Government and can't wait to try it out in the kitchen tomorrow. Going to make a Dutch Oven Chicken stew.:D

(But she is sendign me a new catalog with the new products in it. Wonder when it will show up)

Right after they are publically introduced at the SHOT show!!!:cool: ;) :p

Originally posted by Bobby B
Right after they are publically introduced at the SHOT show!!!:cool: ;) :p

We need an inside man at SHOT this year. I'll do it, if some one will foot the bill. LOL:p

Hi New Pig Hunter 22 years later , did the bluing on your tigershark is still holding ?!

pff haha , i was absent from the site longuer than this and im still here...
meant it more as a ya might not get an answer quickly......guys been gone awhile.....

also glad to see you're supporting the site with your mind.....

I have done the same bluing job with BC liquid before and it works very well. It also works pretty well with the carbon steel Cold Steel Trailmasters. A number of years ago I was having an old Remingto 1100 shotgun customized which included getting it reblued. I had a NIB SOG Tigershark which I intended to put a new custom Micarta handle on, so I sent the blade to the guy working on my Shotgun and had him reblue it. I have not gotten a round to making the new handle for it but still intend to. I used to do that a lot on CS Trailmasters.

Back