Gunhammer... what steel?

Hi, had a gunhammer in s30v a few years back that I never should have traded. Fit my hand like a glove.
Considering a new one. I see S90V, M390, CTS XHp, and S30v available. I do not see S35vn anywhere although I see a review of one stickied here.
What is the steel of choice for you htm afficianados? I am a decent sharpener and am leaning towards S90V just to try it but I want to hear your thoughts. Also, can you get different scale colors if you order direct? I love the green the forum knife had but don't want to deal with the stigma and drama involved with buying one off the secondary market.
Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance. Russ

One more question, is the Rockwell higher on the forum S90V than KC's version? Thanks again, Russ

All "standard" HTM Gunhammers made within the last couple years have S35VN blades. Some dealers may have neglected to update the specs on their product pages, but if you buy a new HTM Gunhammer chances are very good it'll be S35VN. If you have any doubt, especially if you're looking at one on the secondary market, you can post a pic up here and we should be able to tell you whether it's S30V or S35VN since HTM made some minor changes to the blade grinds and pocket clips at right around the same time the steel switch took place.

The green scales are exclusive to the forum knife. It can't hurt to give HTM a call to see if they have any other non-standard scale colors or prototypes around, although I haven't gotten wind of any lately.

As far as blade steel, it's really up to you. I'm a bit of a nut for high wear-resistance steels, so S90V would be my personal pick, with M390 behind that. And yes, aside from the unique handle color, one advantage of the forum knife over the KC version is the heat-treat: the forum knives were, at our request, run harder than what you'll see on any other production or semi-production S90V knife that I know of (60-62 HRC, compared to the 58-60 HRC standard).

Thanks for the info. Got some thinking to do. Had a benchmade in M390 and enjoyed it. Not sure if S90v would be the way to go at that hardness. Hell, S35VN works just fine on my sebenzas.
Thanks. Russ

I really love the M390 Gunhammers, for what it's worth. I'm hard pressed to say which I like more, in terms of steel, although the forum knife has the advantage of green handles, maxx glide, and stonewashed blade.

Thanks for the reply. Lotta info out there. Ankerson loves the s90v but at a higher hardness. I am sure either would be pretty sweet. My memories of my last one where how great the knife felt in hand. Gotta have another. Russ

Thanks for the reply. Lotta info out there. Ankerson loves the s90v but at a higher hardness. I am sure either would be pretty sweet. My memories of my last one where how great the knife felt in hand. Gotta have another. Russ

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the steel offerings for this model. Personally, I'm sorta partial to the Bohler M390 and CTS-XHP. The corrosion resistance of CTS-XHP seems to be as good as or better than 440C. I can't say I've heard about any knives in M390 rusting overnight (without major tool abuse involved) either. I'm the guy you see sweating when it's 20 degrees outside, so I favor the corrosion resistant properties of both of these steels. My two cents. But like I said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these steels. Take your pick and enjoy! :thumbup:

Back