Gurhka House vs. Himilayan Imports...

Is there any difference in quality between the kurkis(I doubt I spelled that right) that these two companies offfer?

Rdbyrd,

I have not as yet purchased a HI Khukuri but am soon to be the proud owner of my 3rd knife from GH. I have also given one as a gift and encouraged two fellow collectors to buy from GH. I, and they, couldn't be happier.

If you read through the many threads on the HI and Non-Specific forums you will find that the general opinion voiced by customers of both companies is one of excellent quality and unbeatable customer service. Both Craig (GH) and Bill (HI) are men of honor and stand by their guarantees 100%. No questions, no fine print, no bulls**t.

All knives from both companies are guaranteed 100% (with the exception, I believe, of the handles on the HI Village models). Knives from both companies have withstood the most grueling of tests that could be conducted by the experts. They have been used to chop up wood, iron bars and cars with little adverse effect.

There is a substantial price differential on various models between the companies. As with most purchases, your personal taste and financial situation will influence your decision when the time comes.

Regardless of which company or model you choose, you will have a tool, a weapon of war and a thing of beauty that will last you a lifetime. Just be careful, after the first one it's hard to stop buying them.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

As an owner of both GH and HI's, I think I will say the most noticable difference is in the fit and finish. HI definitely is a grade above. But GH is not too far off. As far as performance I think they are similar, meaning really good for they are designed to do. You should check out the "ultimate testers'", Cliff Stamp, Will Kwan, et. al, for how the khukuris stand up in real life performance.

Both Craig and Bill are men of integrity and stand by their products. You can rest assured of satisfaction or your money back. As far as the worth of these HI and GH khukuris, they are incredible buys for the same money one would spend on factory produced folders. If you need a survival tool, get the right size and you can't go wrong.

sing

Rydbird: the part about khukuris being quite a value for the money can't be stressed enough. A good friend of mine (and a dealer of my blades) is an accomplished knife maker. He's oft commented that for him to purchase the materials alone to forge a khukuri to the same specs as one of mine (or Bills), he'd have to spend at least $50.00. Check out the thread on my pricing policy, and you will see why we can afford to offer such great knives at awesome prices. Both Bill and I have had a couple of "bad ones" recently, but overall, you can't go wrong whatever you choose. Of course, khukuris seem to be addicting, so you'll probably end up with a bunch of both models
smile.gif

Regards,

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I got a price quote on a couple of HI's today. What I can't understand is why they cost 2 1/2 times or so as much as a GH. Anyone know?

A Colt Python is probably at least 2 1/2 times more than a Rossi or Taurus. Same deal, you decide if it's worth it.

Quite awhile back I asked a gunsmith about why Pythons were so expensive and he said that they had a lot of hand finishing because that is the way they were designed, they had to have a lot of hand finishing, especially in the lockwork. The Colt was about twice the cost of a similar S&W and almost three times the cost of a Ruger, the Ruger having rough triggers but probably the strongest actions. I like hand finished if it provides better function, but if I'm not looking for 'pretty' I don't want to pay for it if it doesn't.

Most of the more than 20 khuks I've bought ( I've given a few away to those who have earned them ) have been blems ( up to half off ), HI selected Villagers at 50 to 90 bucks, and maybe 10% full retail price. So to me it's do I take a Rossi or pay a fraction more for a Python that's in 98% condition out of the box? A little use will take it down to 95% condition regardless of whether it started at 100% or 98%. The Villagers are to the HI's as the Official Police is to the Python, in my estimation.

:
Rusty I sure have to agree with that.
I have gotten a couple of H.I. villagers as well as some Shop 2 Kuhkuri's.
The H.I. Villagers are made by different Kamis in different parts of Nepal for people who use them everyday.The quality is outstanding for something so reasonable.

The real Gurka Blessing means a lot to me personally to.
Me being what people call American Indian and actually Cherokee and Osage,with perhaps some Creek thrown in understand such Ceremonies as that and take them very seriously.
Some of us still have similiar Ceremony where blood is freely given.

------------------

>>>>---¥vsa---->®
The civilized man sleeps behind locked doors in the city while the naked savage sleeps (with a knife) in a open hut in the jungle.

I have at least two each HI (Shops 1 & 2), HI villagers, and GH khukuris. I think a better analogy is a Colt 1860 Army for Civil War re-enactment and target shooting. You could get a 19th Century original, but it's too valuable as a collector's item and maybe too worn to use safely. So your choices, in descending price order would be Colt 2d Generation (HI Shop 1), Colt Blackpowder Signature (HI Shop 2), Uberti (GH), and Pietta (HI villager). All represent different levels of quality and finish within an acceptable range of performance and fidelity to an older design.
Berk

Yvsa, I spent five years working on the reservation where the ghost dance originated. There are still about 3 left who will in turn pass the ghost dance on to their heirs. I shared an office with a Mandan my age who was an active dancer. The other older dancers dropped in to talk to him, and told their stories and jokes. (The Sun dance was never mentioned when I was around.) I either make fun of everyone's religious experiences ( especially my own ) or I pay respectful attention. I laugh with people, not at them. I don't hold with mocking anyone's beliefs from a supposedly 'superior' point of view. Hindu or Sherpa or Native American.

Paying more for any product or buying it because of its name brand doesn't mean it's the best. I've had high priced guns and knives that I couldn't trust to last through a weekend camping trip, yet have had less expensive brands that I bet my life on for months at a time without a moments hesitation. Bottom line is, go with what works and what you can trust.

I buy my Khukuris from GH for that very reason. They'll do anything I can ask of them, and more. The fit and finish on those that I own have been of display quality, right out of the box. The overall quality of the knives far exceeds the price and the guarantee is absolute.

Some of the forumites indicate that the Kamis blessing holds a personal or religious significance to them. I deeply respect their views on this issue, but must admit that the ceremony has little impact on my decision to purchase one brand over another. My beliefs are not better or more enlightened, just different.

I was lucky enough to start my Khukuri addiction with GH knives. I found what works and what I can trust on the first try. I could spend 2 or 3 times what I do now for a Khukuri, but have been unable to find any reason that justifies the extra expense.

It works for me. I'll stay with it.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Back