Gurkha Kukri - ‘working grade’

I’m considering getting a Kukri as I have always liked the design. I know the ones from Nepal (?) can be hit or miss. I’m looking for a working knife, not a presentation grade or collector or anything like that.

As I remember it, one of the ‘go to’ places for Kukris is actually Kukri House on Amazon. Is that still the case?

It looks like they had a name change. GK & Co Kukri house. Is that the same place or is it different?

Check out HI. An email to Mrs. Martino will go a long way as well. She can tell you what she has in stock and what a shipped price will be.

Depending on what you want to chop, she can point you in the right direction. Also, please check out the subforum. Ask any question you like:)

Ive had six khukuris from Khukuri House Handicraft Industry (KHHI) . I can vouch that they were the first and original modern khukuri manufacturers actually set up by an ex member of the British Army 10th Gurkha Rifles .Their quality is as good as you will get and the owner "Saroj" is more than willing to work with exactly what you want or need from a hand made genuine Nepalese khukuri . Im not a fan of overbuilt , heavy khukuris with thick spines that some companies seem to make a point of manufacturing , as apart from a chopping instrument they have no real balance and tend to be too heavy . With KHHI , I always ask for some semi customised changes to whatever model I am after , ie a more narrow spine usually no more than 7mm thickness with a tapering from the bolster down to the tip, decent made fullers or a nice made hollow grind that not only helps reduce the weight but also balances the knife when in practical use .
I am now in the process of ordering my first khukuri from Kailash as according to their website they already address these problems of over built kuks and seem to understand that the original khukuris were not built like that and looking at some of their models Kailash seem to make really nice fullers and hollow grinds . It is amazing how different a nicely made well balanced lighter weight khukuri is to wield as opposed to an overbuilt one .

I'm going to put in another vote for Himilayan imports I've dealt with them a few times and the quality was always great and the service is excellent. At some point I will also order something from Kailash Blades but it will probably be a custom falcata or kopis.

Kukri House wherever you buy them is fine. I would support them directly on their site. gedThe sheaths are traditional and the two knives that come with them have to be worked but that's part of the tradition. I got mine before the earthquake like 10 years ago so don't know how much has changed, but I think that it's the real deal, not tourist stuff. Mine has held up well to do what it is supposed to do.

Another vote for Himalayan Imports. Their 'Villager' knives are precisely what you're looking for.

For anyone who has bought khukuris from any of the Khukuri houses in Nepal will probably have their own favorite manufacturers for different reasons . In my personal opinion based on research and looking at various khukuri forums ,websites , books etc over a period of years . I admire and much prefer the traditional styles and historic models and if you think about it , why , looking back in history would the indigenous tribes people of Nepal and that part of North East India use a khukuri that was overbuilt , heavy and unbalanced as a tool or a weapon , apart from the fact that steel would have been a much harder commodity to acquire and an overbuilt khukuri would have been wasting much needed products . Many of the Nepalese manufacturers have been making overbuilt blades for years ! The original khukuris were not built with thick spines straight handles and no reasonable hollow grind to lighten the weight and distribute the balance as it would not have been practical . I have never tried out a Tora khukuri but apparantly they made them using historical reference with correct measurements , balance and weight in mind which can only be a good selling point . I have never owned an HI khukuri but have had the opportunity to use three different models in a bushcraft environment and find them overbuilt and way too heavy to be using constantly , plus they all had a straight handle . I am not saying they are not strong and well built , just overbuilt , but there again they might have newer models out now .KHHI were my go to company because for a little extra they would usually do a decent job of semi customising any model for you which in my case meant narrower spines , well made fullers or hollow grinds , and the right size handle greatly reducing weight and giving better balance and usage .
Now that I have recently been introduced to and convinced by their website and various reviews that "Kailash Blades" are definitely worth giving a try , as Andrew from Kailash seems to understand how a well thought out and manufactured khukuri should be made . I like the way they have embraced the narrower style of tapering blade together with some of the better hollow grinds and fullers Ive seen , plus the fact that they are oil quenching their blades when heat treating which in my opinion is a step forward in making a stronger khukuri . I suppose the argument can be made that this is not the traditional method , so for the real purists it might not suit , but I think that this is still a part of the hand making process and if I get a quality traditional "Mutiny" khukuri at the end of the day , I will be happy with that . One other small but important point in their manufacture of stick tang models is that they round the angle of the shoulder off as the tang enters the handle , this will obviously help to reduce the immediate stress point of the sharper 90 degree angle and thus reducing the chances of the blade breaking at the ricasso when in heavy use .
Thanks .

Becker BK21....Known steel, tough as nails, well balanced, swings like the dickens.
Highly Recommended

B bigeard09

HI has always filled the demand of heavily built khukuris. It's what they are known for, and generally what people ask them to provide.

They have an unofficial catalog of probably more than 50 models and come in all thicknesses. There are a lot of good manufacturers out there, but HI doesn't make just heavy and thick knives. They make MOSTLY heavy and thick knives, but you can get them thinner as well.

Then again, im glad they do. I much prefer them over thinner stock. Just personal preference. Different strokes for different folks.

B bigeard09 ,
I really tried to read your wall of text, but stopped when you claimed khukris should have hollow ground blades. Not worth reading after that.

So, you HAVEN'T tried one of the HI Villagers that I recommended as precisely what was being sought.

Any of the VUKs (Villager Utility Knives) fits the bill as a working knife bought by, and used by, the local people and those of us wishing to purchase something more 'indigenous'.

For anyone who has bought khukuris from any of the Khukuri houses in Nepal will probably have their own favorite manufacturers for different reasons . In my personal opinion based on research and looking at various khukuri forums ,websites , books etc over a period of years . I admire and much prefer the traditional styles and historic models and if you think about it , why , looking back in history would the indigenous tribes people of Nepal and that part of North East India use a khukuri that was overbuilt , heavy and unbalanced as a tool or a weapon , apart from the fact that steel would have been a much harder commodity to acquire and an overbuilt khukuri would have been wasting much needed products . Many of the Nepalese manufacturers have been making overbuilt blades for years ! The original khukuris were not built with thick spines straight handles and no reasonable hollow grind to lighten the weight and distribute the balance as it would not have been practical . I have never tried out a Tora khukuri but apparantly they made them using historical reference with correct measurements , balance and weight in mind which can only be a good selling point . I have never owned an HI khukuri but have had the opportunity to use three different models in a bushcraft environment and find them overbuilt and way too heavy to be using constantly , plus they all had a straight handle . I am not saying they are not strong and well built , just overbuilt , but there again they might have newer models out now .KHHI were my go to company because for a little extra they would usually do a decent job of semi customising any model for you which in my case meant narrower spines , well made fullers or hollow grinds , and the right size handle greatly reducing weight and giving better balance and usage .
Now that I have recently been introduced to and convinced by their website and various reviews that "Kailash Blades" are definitely worth giving a try , as Andrew from Kailash seems to understand how a well thought out and manufactured khukuri should be made . I like the way they have embraced the narrower style of tapering blade together with some of the better hollow grinds and fullers Ive seen , plus the fact that they are oil quenching their blades when heat treating which in my opinion is a step forward in making a stronger khukuri . I suppose the argument can be made that this is not the traditional method , so for the real purists it might not suit , but I think that this is still a part of the hand making process and if I get a quality traditional "Mutiny" khukuri at the end of the day , I will be happy with that . One other small but important point in their manufacture of stick tang models is that they round the angle of the shoulder off as the tang enters the handle , this will obviously help to reduce the immediate stress point of the sharper 90 degree angle and thus reducing the chances of the blade breaking at the ricasso when in heavy use .
Thanks .

B bigeard09 ,
I really tried to read your wall of text, but stopped when you claimed khukris should have hollow ground blades. Not worth reading after that.
Sorry thats how you feel CWL but I have seen and handled quite a number of Nepalese made khukuris and some of them (not all) are overbuilt and all I was trying to say was many of them have got hollow grinds which in my view not only look good but actually do reduce the weight and help to give balance , but it is only my opinion whichwe are all entitled to without sounding offensive about it

Yep t
B bigeard09

HI has always filled the demand of heavily built khukuris. It's what they are known for, and generally what people ask them to provide.

They have an unofficial catalog of probably more than 50 models and come in all thicknesses. There are a lot of good manufacturers out there, but HI doesn't make just heavy and thick knives. They make MOSTLY heavy and thick knives, but you can get them thinner as well.

Then again, im glad they do. I much prefer them over thinner stock. Just personal preference. Different strokes for different folks.
otally agree Steely _ gunz . Thanks for youe reply

So, you HAVEN'T tried one of the HI Villagers that I recommended as precisely what was being sought.

Any of the VUKs (Villager Utility Knives) fits the bill as a working knife bought by, and used by, the local people and those of us wishing to purchase something more 'indigenous'.
Yep Napalm Cheese , I would agree and as I said they are well built and will do some serious chopping , just not for me .
thanks

As a matter of interest, which manufacturer currently makes the ones issued to the Gurkha regiments of the British army?

As a matter of interest, which manufacturer currently makes the ones issued to the Gurkha regiments of the British army?
Hello Pomsbz ,
There are various Khukuri House companies in Nepal who are given the contract to supply the British Army Brigade of Gurkhas and by all accounts it is all down to the cheapest bidder which does not fare too well as far as producing a quality khukuri goes . I own one and to be honest there is not a great deal of quality workmanship goes into them , that is probably why apart from using their issue khukuries for ceremonial duties , many of the Gurkha soldiers buy thair own from various companies in Nepal . This was proven to me recently when a "Kailash Blades " forum member contacted me to say that both his Father and Grandfather served within British Army Gurkha Regiments and they did not rate the standard issue , prefering to buy their own choice khukuris

Back