H&R alternative question!

Hi, so I was doing some research and decided I wanted an H&R break action single shot 12 gauge. Then later realizing H&R has ceased production I was quite upset! I was wondering if anyone could give some good advice on a solid alternative that wont break the bank. I'm not too familiar with such guns and need some help.

I've seen people online use such guns with adapters to shoot .22 LR and even use them as muzzle loaders with the right adapters. Looks like a versatile option and good fun! People have said a modified choke would be best, although I'm not sure why (explanation would be helpful). Anyway any help would be appreciated!

Single shot shotguns can usually be found on the secondary market for very reasonable prices. Check your local gun shops, pawn shops, flea markets, and gun shows. You should be able to pick up an older H&R if that's what you want. I don't know how cost effective or accurate caliber reducing inserts are.

Gun stores and pawn shops are full of them. They were produced for many years by H&R before they closed in the 1980's under both H&R and NEF brands. And produced again when bought by Marlin and again when bought by Remington. With some searching, you can find one with accessory barrel fitted. They were made in many calibers including a muzzleloader. So not currently produced but still widely available. Note that you can't buy the shotgun/rifle and add a separately purchased accessory barrel to it without having it properly fitted by a gunsmith.

Codger in the early 1990s Kmart sold the NEF Pardner and my friend got a few on sale for $62 each back then! I think this was around 1994. Just wondering if NEF was actually out of business then?

You may want to consider the Thompson Center Arms system. It is likely a more expensive option; however, a single receiver can accommodate around 200 different caliber barrels. The fit, finish, and accuracy are excellent based on my own experiences.

New England Firearms (NEF) was a product line of Harrington & Richardson. A sub-branding. In November of 2000, the Marlin Firearms Company purchased the assets of H&R 1871, Inc. Marketing its products under the brand names of Harrington & Richardson and New England Firearms. Marlin, including all its H&R assets, was later acquired by Remington Arms Company in December, 2007. H&R 1871, LLC production was moved to Ilion, N.Y. (the site of Remington's original manufacturing plant) in late 2008, while their corporate offices are co-located with Remington Arms in Madison, N.C. (HR1871.com and Remington.com).[citation needed] Remington, along with its Marlin and H&R subsidiaries, are now part of the Freedom Group. H&R 1871 production ceased 27 February 2015. But having been made and mass marketed for many years, both the guns and parts are still readily available. A friend of mine in Little Rock did conversions back in the 1980's making the shotguns into muzzleloaders.

If I were searching for an inexpensive single barrel shotgun, I would look at gunshops and pawn shops. Most of the less expensive gun manufacturers had a single barrel model (H&R, Marlin, and Savage come to mind).

You can still find new and used H&R's pretty easy. I have a few. Just go around to all the shops that sell used guns, should be a few single shots on the cheap. Rossi is alright if you really want new and can't find an H&R but the new ones have manual safeties and internal locks. :barf: Got lucky yesterday and found an old Rossi 12ga for $99 the predated the safety and lock and the wood stock has just enough wear to give it character but it's not all beat up.

I was out shopping yesterday and passed on a brand new 20ga and a nice used 12ga. I'm going back Monday to get them even though I already have exact clones of each. Another store had a brand new .45/.140 survivor but they wanted $325 for it. Also found a few other random singles for $100-ish bucks, needed a little work but just some tiny fixes that are really non-issues. I passed only because I have a pretty good pile of singles already and I figured if I ever needed to I would have a hard time finding parts for them. H&R's have excellent aftermarket support and I suspect that will continue for a while even after production ends and the new guns are all sold.

Last edited:
Might check Newrichs (sp) or Brownells for parts or parts kits. I have rat holed lots of parts for various firearms over the years. Make buying something with "PROBLEMS" A LOT cheaper/easier. Hope this helps Mongo

Check out Rossi. They used to have single, matched pairs, and trifecta's. I considered the Rossi when I was looking at the Savage model 42 prices.

Back