H1 Mule Team

H1 is already integrated into Spyderco's products. And they already offer H1 in fixed blades. I thought the Mule program was to test and gain feedback from newer (or lesser known) types of steels.

I hope I'm not being a party pooper. I do like H-1 :thumbup:.

Oh man that would be great, but aren't the MTs usually made when they are trying out a new steel?

I would buy one for sure.

H1 is already integrated into Spyderco's products. And they already offer H1 in fixed blades. I thought the Mule program was to test and gain feedback from newer (or lesser known) types of steels.

I hope I'm not being a party pooper. I do like H-1 :thumbup:.

Ya you're right. I'm just wanting something other than the Jumpmaster or Warrior in a fixed blade. I don't like sheepfoot blades so the Enuff is out too. I'd love to see the Schempp Rock Salt resurected.

Ya you're right. I'm just wanting something other than the Jumpmaster or Warrior in a fixed blade. I don't like sheepfoot blades so the Enuff is out too. I'd love to see the Schempp Rock Salt resurected.

Might have to pay a premium, but aqua salts, rock salts and caspian salts pop up every now and then on the secondary market.

H1 is a curious "steel". The main problem with using H1 in a Mule Team blade is that H1 requires grinding on each side at the same time or the blade will warp. That's why every Spyderco H1 knife is hollow ground. Making a Mule Team in H1 would require a different grind than every other MT (which contradicts the spirit of the project), or would require slow hand grinding.

H1 is a curious "steel". The main problem with using H1 in a Mule Team blade is that H1 requires grinding on each side at the same time or the blade will warp. That's why every Spyderco H1 knife is hollow ground. Making a Mule Team in H1 would require a different grind than every other MT (which contradicts the spirit of the project), or would require slow hand grinding.

I doubt this. H1 serrations are obviously ground on one side. H-1 are hollow ground to achieve desired RC at the edge.

Planterz is right about the grinding. I remember reading a quote from Sal about it I think.

They made the woodcraft mule hollow ground... how about an H1 woodcraft?

H-1 serrations (and all Spyderco's others as well) are chisel ground. That is, they are ground on one side only. Flat grinding is done on one side at a time. With H-1, by the time one side is ground flat, the blade has work hardened. That leaves you trying to grind a fully hardened blade to do the other side. That can result in warping, and also uses up abrasives very quickly. Hollow grinding is done on both sides at the same time, so the blade work hardens evenly. The serrations are then ground on a shaped wheel, but only one side gets done. Sal has posted that Rockwell testing near the edge has shown H-1 serrated blades with an edge hardness of 67 or 68.

H-1 serrations (and all Spyderco's others as well) are chisel ground. That is, they are ground on one side only. Flat grinding is done on one side at a time. With H-1, by the time one side is ground flat, the blade has work hardened. That leaves you trying to grind a fully hardened blade to do the other side. That can result in warping, and also uses up abrasives very quickly. Hollow grinding is done on both sides at the same time, so the blade work hardens evenly. The serrations are then ground on a shaped wheel, but only one side gets done. Sal has posted that Rockwell testing near the edge has shown H-1 serrated blades with an edge hardness of 67 or 68.

still a bit confused, as chisel grinds and serrations are both still grind on one side only. Nevertheless, I'm learning some interesting stuff today. H-1 is indeed a bit mysterious.

As for the RC 67-68, wow....

It's the grinding of the second side that causes the problems. Since serrations are only ground on one side of the blade, they aren't a problem, but think what it would be like to V-grind them when the steel has gotten that hard doing the first side.

H-1 CAN be flat ground, but it simply takes too long to be profitable on a mass-production scale. I suppose a flat chisel grind would be feasible for H-1, but it consistently comes in last in polls on what blade grinds people prefer.

I'd buy two and enjoy the hell out of them without worry about corrosion.

I believe that Spyderco has made Mule Team blades with steel they already had in use, but not to the extent that H1 is used. H1 is a known quantity and not all that much would be learned by releasing a Mule since they have a Salt Endura which is in the same size category.

I don't use my Mule Team blades as test pieces though. I buy them because they are a phenomenal value and one of the only ways to get a cutting edge steel (pun intended) at a great price. I can make my own handle and sheath.

Back