• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Attention Hacked Account

jd4320t

Gold Member
For sale is a Benchmade Super Freek. M4 blade. As new, unused and uncarried. Comes in original box and bag.
Asking $125 via PayPal goods and service. I’ll cover fees and insured priority shipping in the US. Not looking for any trades.

2LR5d2A.jpegW4Kd0JC.jpegbEI1gRF.jpeg

In lieu of sending PayPal to these thieves...please just leave a large bag o' cash down in the culvert at the bottom of my hill in the dead of night.

Thanks in advance.

:cool:

There's a thread in service and support on the topic.

Any idea how people's accounts are being hacked?

Basically, the BF mods are saying that the cause of the problem is the use of the same user name and passwords on BF as have been used by members on other accounts that have been previously compromised. They insist that there has been no breach of BF itself.

Ways to protect yourself:

Activate 2FA on BF and on other sites.

Use different/unique user names on BF and other sites.

Use different/unique passwords (that incorporate letters, caps, numbers and symbols) on this and other sites, especially banking and those involving financial transactions like BF, EB, etc.

It is widely suggested on the Net to use password generators for this purpose. I've tried one but didn't like it.

I create my own unique passwords (ones that I can remember) and record them and the accts they are associated with in an encrypted file on my computer that I print out and store in my gun safe.

Even this isn't completely secure but it beats the heck of of a password generator acct getting hacked or losing/forgetting the master password for the password generator.

--------------------------------------

Note that these steps will only protect your own acct from being hacked on BF and other sites (and to limit the potential damage if they are).

In order to avoid getting scammed in phony ads placed via hacked accounts like this one, your only protection is to NOT agree to buy ANYTHING from ANYONE who is asking for a cash payment via PayPal F&F, Zelle, ApplePay or whatever.

However, the hacker who placed this phony ad has apparently figured out a way to avoid a charge back even if PayPal G&S is used. So, he'll still "take the $ and run" while we're all trying to get our $ back from PayPal and/or the credit card company used for the transaction.

So, even PayPal G&S transactions apparently aren't safe. As they say, cavet emptor!

Last edited:
A possible solution to this is to make 2FA on a requirement on all accounts that have access to make a sales thread.

A possible solution to this is to make 2FA on a requirement on all accounts that have access to make a sales thread.
Making 2FA mandatory, either site-wide, or for all accounts that access the knife exchange, seems like the solution to the “hacked accounts” issue.
Is there a downside, or some difficulty in doing this?

Back