Hacksaw Bandwagon!

Well, got a little bored this morning, so I decided to jump on the hacksaw blade bandwagon...

797045knife1.jpg

The new hacksaw/utility knife, my Cold Steel Panga Machete and a Sears Craftsmen hatchet; hacksaw knife on the Cold Steel Machete; side-by-side comparision with a Gerber Paraframe II for size reference.

hmm, I thought they allowed linking, but maybe not... Just lost my web space, haven't signed up for more yet; any recommendations for easy pic hosting?

Yeah, I condensed the three pics into one and hosted it on imagezilla or something like that. Now to make a nicer handle and a clip point blade!

That I don't know much about, but I did do some cutting tests (slicing branches off a tree and cutting rope) and it seems to hold something of a decent edge. The steel ain't soft, at least. Grinding was easy because it was so thin, but putting a finished utility edge on did take a little effort.

When I was a kid I used to make little knives and saws out of broken jigsaw blades. I would rivet them to wooden handles I would carve out of whatever wood I had lying around. A few of them turned out pretty nice, for what they were. I wish I still had them now!

That I don't know much about, but I did do some cutting tests (slicing branches off a tree and cutting rope) and it seems to hold something of a decent edge. The steel ain't soft, at least. Grinding was easy because it was so thin, but putting a finished utility edge on did take a little effort.

Really? What brand of blade? I tried a hacksaw knife before and couldn't get it to hold an edge.

Much has been made on rec.knives about making your own from a high speed steel hacksaw blade. The trick is finding them that are fully hardened all the way to the spine and not bimetal. The tempering temperature is around 1000 deg F, so grinding them without cooling wont hurt them unless the blade turns red. Of course, grinding them in the first place may be the trick, since they are between 64 and 66 HRc.

I'll let you know what brand the blade is when Iget back home Thurs or Fri. Its some all blue hacksaw blade I've had laying around in the garage for ages. Have a good half dozen extra...

I got a couple of Lenox Mo-Speed power hacksaw blades from ebay, plus a 2 pack of regular hacksaw blades in HSS at Home Depot. My wooden blocks for handles scales also came in today. Fun, fun.

Back