Hamons and 1095

I think I have enough character on my hands and fingers from over the years than to purposely inflict more upon them.. haha.. :DI'm accident prone enough.. I just did this the other day trying to get a small varmint at the house and had my thumb just a little too close to the breach when I closed it on a pellet gun.

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark, Marc! Not sure if you read my OP, but the thread started as a "can I do all grinding post HT if I want a Hamon" and the answer was no. I saw someone else use the method you are talking about to straighten except that they clamped up prior to the second temper so I'm gonna try that. That person was doing Bushcraft blades with scandi grinds, so he had a large amount of flat to clamp. Someone suggested AgriSupply for less than 20' pieces of 3/8"-1/2" flat bar, so I'm going to try there.

Kuraki, I will be cutting out rectangles and straightening before profiling from now on. I profiled 2 first and got at least 1 flat enough to free-hand grind so far but then ground it too far which is one of my typical, still noob, errors. I cannot keep from trying to get it perfect pre-HT and then wind up grinding too far. Can't seem to grasp the concept of "initial grinding". lol

Thanks,
Walt

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark, Marc! Not sure if you read my OP, but the thread started as a "can I do all grinding post HT if I want a Hamon" and the answer was no. I saw someone else use the method you are talking about to straighten except that they clamped up prior to the second temper so I'm gonna try that. That person was doing Bushcraft blades with scandi grinds, so he had a large amount of flat to clamp. Someone suggested AgriSupply for less than 20' pieces of 3/8"-1/2" flat bar, so I'm going to try there.

Kuraki, I will be cutting out rectangles and straightening before profiling from now on. I profiled 2 first and got at least 1 flat enough to free-hand grind so far but then ground it too far which is one of my typical, still noob, errors. I cannot keep from trying to get it perfect pre-HT and then wind up grinding too far. Can't seem to grasp the concept of "initial grinding". lol

Thanks,
Walt

You may check prices there and call DSI metals. You have to buy 5' min but a lot of times the retailers like agri mark there metal up significantly. If I remember right the shortest they sell is either 3' of 4' in there bins.

DSI won't sell less than a full stick is what I thought. Have you actually purchased just 5'? That's sure a lot closer and while I haven't been there in several years, the hottie at the front desk is worth the price of admission, assuming she's still there.

OK. Maybe it was something they would have had to order. I think I was looking for Sch. 40 pipe and was going to have to buy a whole 21' stick. Been too long ago to remember whether they would have to order or not. I edited my post while you were replying. Is the blond in the office still there? I think I had heard that she had left but IDK.

Idk Walt. It's been a few months since I've been there. I usually go on my lunch break and call ahead of time so when I get there it's already cut and ready to go. Only time I've bought a full stick there was when I ordered a piece they didn't carry in stock and some of the square tubing I have left over I bought a bunch of for building the framing to a roof off of my shop and wanted to frame with steel instead of wood.

Thanks. I'll call the in the morning and see what they have in stock. 3/8"x2" up to 3" should work. Surely they will keep something in that range around. Really glad to know this.

Thanks. I'll call the in the morning and see what they have in stock. 3/8"x2" up to 3" should work. Surely they will keep something in that range around. Really glad to know this.
Pretty sure they'll have it in stock.

Back