Hand cranked flashlight

Triton

Gold Member
Hey guys,

I once again am in the market for a hand powered flashlight. I tried to find online reviews, but after looking at about a dozen that were all pretty much the same, I have to conclude that either all the reviewers had amazingly similar results or they were just copying from each other. So... What do you think is the best single purpose hand powered flashlight? I'm not terribly interested in the flashlight radio combos, in my experience they don't do either thing all that well. I can be told different though if you know a really good one.

Hey guys,

I once again am in the market for a hand powered flashlight. I tried to find online reviews, but after looking at about a dozen that were all pretty much the same, I have to conclude that either all the reviewers had amazingly similar results or they were just copying from each other. So... What do you think is the best single purpose hand powered flashlight? I'm not terribly interested in the flashlight radio combos, in my experience they don't do either thing all that well. I can be told different though if you know a really good one.
Although the only hand crank flashlight I have experience with is a 15 year old "shake it" light that I would guess puts out 5-10 lumen, if I were to purchase a new one I'd probably go with the "Clipray" hand crank flashlight sold at the Red Cross website (made by Eton). It seems like the reviews are negative for it's "iPhone charging" issues, but positive for the flashlight aspect.

Personally, I went in a couple other directions... basically I experimented with different candles and candle lanterns as a light source, as well as getting flashlights that have a lower power mode that is bright enough for tasks, but last long enough for extended power outages plus CR123 compatiblity... although I have a couple AA and AAA emergency flashlights, too.

Although the only hand crank flashlight I have experience with is a 15 year old "shake it" light that I would guess puts out 5-10 lumen, if I were to purchase a new one I'd probably go with the "Clipray" hand crank flashlight sold at the Red Cross website (made by Eton). It seems like the reviews are negative for it's "iPhone charging" issues, but positive for the flashlight aspect.

Personally, I went in a couple other directions... basically I experimented with different candles and candle lanterns as a light source, as well as getting flashlights that have a lower power mode that is bright enough for tasks, but last long enough for extended power outages plus CR123 compatiblity... although I have a couple AA and AAA emergency flashlights, too.
Thanks Scott I'll check out the clip ray. Candle lanterns sound interesting too, any source in particular that you would recommend?

Thanks Scott I'll check out the clip ray. Candle lanterns sound interesting too, any source in particular that you would recommend?
Well.... this is where things get complicated. It really depends on if you just want an emergency light source or if you want to actually have a more usable light source for doing work/tasks.

If you are starting out, a good emergency/camping/do it all lantern is the UCO Candle latern. I was lucky and got the version with a button cell flashlight stuck in the bottom when they still offered it. I just wouldn't store it in a hot environment, as candles tend to deform over time, especially if stored in a hot car. IMO, stay away from the tea light version unless you specifically want to work with tea lights... tea lights offer less light output too.

A cheap way to get into using a candle for more tasks, is to pick up a cheap "taper" candle holder at a local Good Will or Salvation Army. You can find "taper" candles at many different stores, but the cheap ones tend to "spit" while burning. The long thin candle with good airflow should allow for a tall flame with decent light (as far as candles go). Put two or three in front of a mirror and you have a decent low light source. These thinner candles usually provide a taller flame for more light, but also burn up more quickly than the thicker pillar style.

Good lanterns for these taper candles are hard to find, though. Many of the lanterns for these taper style are for looks, and have lost the actual functional design characteristics that the real versions (back in the day) used. Also, I should mention that like anything with a flame, candles could be a fire hazard.

Back