Hand Rubbed Satin Finish

How does one obtain a hand rubbed satin finish like on Dan's knives? I know how to take 400 grit or scratch pads and ruff up a mirror finish but what is the technique to get the nice hand rubbed satin finish?

Dan or somebody else would probably have a better way, but I take 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to my khuks. Takes off the mirror polish, which I can't stand, and leaves a smooth satin finish.

-Tycho-

Start with the coarsest grit that is in evidence by the existing scratches on your knife.
When you have all the scratches going in one direction go to the next grit up and sand in an opposite direction until all the scratches are the same depth.
Then go to the next grit up and repeat again going in the opposite direction yet again. Stop at the satin finish of your choice.
Some folks like a rougher grit than others, some like it sanded to a 600 grit.
On the khukuris I find the Scotch-Brite works just fine in giving me the satin finish I want.
The scratches are miniscule and so help prevent rusting by not being too deep.
Methinks a smooth satin finish holds rust preventative better than a polished finish but that's just my opinion.;)

Is the secret going in one direction? I can get the mirror finish off but it just looks scratched up. Maybe pictures make it look a little smoother or more even or maybe I need to rub it longer to put on more minute scratches. Tychoseven, I'm like you I just don't like the mirror finish. It's funny, when I order a new Khuk and open the box sometimes it just doesn't look right and sometimes I just don't like it but after dulling the finish and handle I fall in love with it.

whether you use a scotchbrite pad, or sandpaper, start by making small "circles" with it first. Then, after you've achieved an even finish, go to "straight lines". I used to prefer only longitudinal lines, but have started to see the beauty in lateral lines too (perpendicular to the blade).

Honestly, it depends on the knife for me....whether I go parallel or perpendicular.

And use your fingers directly on the knife. On a perfectly flat knife, this would be a no-no...but the curve of the khukuri lends itself to literal hand-rubbing.

Oh, and spray some WD40 on it before you start sanding/scratching. Works better than anything other lubricant, and works much faster than sanding it dry.

The real secret is pressure. Sometimes I start out at 220 and have to press really hard to get the finish even. You'll notice the blade will be "brighter" where you pushed harder. Then, just even the rest of the blade out to that level.

Hey....come over and I'll show ya....:p

Daniel Koster said:
Hey....come over and I'll show ya....:p
Hey, thanks for the offer. I'll definitely take you up on it. It's my dream to be able to make knives one day like you are doing. I have started to email a couple of times to see if it was alright to drop by and see how you do what you do and now I know. After I get through the holidays, if I get through the holidays, I'll drop you an email.

:thumbup: sounds good to me, Bro. Shoot me an email when you're ready.

I've dulled a few blades...I use a drill brush! go to Ace and get med;and fine just remember to go SLOW so as to not heat your blade (yes you can make an electric drill go slow..takes practice though) if done right it gets real nice :D also go in the same direction,I go up and down the blade width wise.

Then rub down with a Marine Tuf-Cloth,hardly ever rusts.My khuks however are prob gonna get left alone.

Back