Handles and Hand size

II have about the same size hands as you and id say most of the HI models are very comfortable for the task they perform. Obviously if your using a fighter in a knife fight hopefully you wont be using it long enough to form blisters. I have noticed that the large choppers about 20" and up have more girth to them. I first thought they would be uncomfortable but found out they were actually more comfortable because you could get more torque on them and you didnt have to squeeze as hard to hold them. Then you learn to properly use a Khukri rotating its mass around the ring in the handle instead of trying to whack something western style with a full motion swing. Some of the knives 12" and less do have a very small girth and may be hard for some to use repeatedly. If you do find one you might like and have a pic. feel free to post the pic and we can most likely give you an idea of the size based on our own pieces.

Also if too large a handle its a relatively easy chore to reduce it for a custom fit. Especially rat tails but full tangs aren't difficult either.

Lemme guess?
1. You ran out of bait?
2. Your fishing license expired or Daisy ate it and your waitin for the missus to return with a valid one.
3. Your stuck in the tent and its pouring down rain.
4. Its Friday and you dont eat fish on Friday?
5. Its Monday the fish aint biting and you dont eat bait on Monday?
Oh! ...You just miss us:rolleyes:

My m43 kukri has 4.5 inch handle girth. It feels a bit thin to me.

Can you elaborate about feeling thin?

Just for fun - Baseball bats are more in the range of 1-2 inches
Tennis racket handles are much bigger
handfinder.GIF

Not sure what is best for Kuks, open gap between index and thumb or wrap over. Apparently Nepalese got rather small hands on average. Our Kuk has been North Americanized already with bigger handles than normal.

This is the real deal and this guy seems to be happy with index and thumbs overlap.
CSgtKajimanMCRGR.jpg

More thumb and index overlap.
33908.jpg

pretty constant handle-hand size...
1-a-british-army-gurkha-andrew-chittock.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ Great pics :thumbup:

I've only a small collection of HI knives right now, but I will say that all of the handles are near perfect. I'll second a KLVUK, as I've raved about mine on another thread, and mention that the handles is great for everything. It's longer than some more traditional designs, but that allows you to choke-up or grips towards the pomell, depending on what you're trying to do. As for girth, it feels great in hand, and I'm a smaller guy at 5'8" and 125lbs.

Handles can vary in my experience, but they always suit the knife. One of my thicker handles is on my Kumar BDC, and the thinnest is on a Siru. Both of these knives are 12" overall, but the BDC is much beefier. It feels like you're holding the grip of a .357

One last thing that I want to mention is something I originally considered when ordering my first HI. Since the beginning, this company has been primarily mail-order, phone-order, and now internet-order. This, to me, means that almost all of the people who bought these knives did so without ever seeing or holding it for themselves. Then you look at the amazing response to these knives, and can only come to the same conclusion I did: all of them are perfect.

We all can tell you from experience that your first will not be your last, so I say pull the trigger now. Grab a KLVUK, if for no other reason than affordability, and expect it to spend a good amount of it's life in your pack, on your side, and in your hand.

-SG

Thank you for all the great info. The KLVUK will certainly be one I will look into, and more than likely, try. Right now though my funds are wrapped up in few Finnish Puukkos being made by smiths there in Finland.

You do have an inch and a half on me.

What SingleGrind is trying to tell you is that you're already succumbing to HIKV. There is no known cure.....

I do worry about this. Luckily, I only buy knives to use. I went through a detox a few months back with traditional pocket knives. I plan to limit these to a solid group of four. It's just finding the right group.

II have about the same size hands as you and id say most of the HI models are very comfortable for the task they perform. Obviously if your using a fighter in a knife fight hopefully you wont be using it long enough to form blisters. I have noticed that the large choppers about 20" and up have more girth to them. I first thought they would be uncomfortable but found out they were actually more comfortable because you could get more torque on them and you didnt have to squeeze as hard to hold them. Then you learn to properly use a Khukri rotating its mass around the ring in the handle instead of trying to whack something western style with a full motion swing. Some of the knives 12" and less do have a very small girth and may be hard for some to use repeatedly. If you do find one you might like and have a pic. feel free to post the pic and we can most likely give you an idea of the size based on our own pieces. :

I really am enjoying the insight, thank you. It is encouraging to read such positive feedback on multiple models. I certainly need to take my time and research the proper use and grip, not mention sharpening. Once the funds are available I write Auntie and take a leap of faith and try one.

I am thankful for the abundance of info that can be found in the yellow sticky thread, "How to..."

I wish all sub-forums had such detail.

Ya I only buy knives as users as well...but I have one for the kitchen, and the garden, and camping, and hiking, and the car, and for EDC...I think you get my point. I had more then 4 after the first 2 weeks, so good luck to you sir.

If I had to pick only 4 HIs, I would chose a KLVUK in any size, a 17-18" Dui Chirra (next on my list), a BDC, and last but not least, a Mini Micro Bowie!

If I had to pick only 4 HIs, I would chose a KLVUK in any size, a 17-18" Dui Chirra (next on my list), a BDC, and last but not least, a Mini Micro Bowie!

Excellent set for pretty much every blade jobs.

For scalpel/exacto jobs you might want to consider a Bilton.
Just a notch bigger than a Karda, you can probably fit one in the Dui Chirra scabbard so it would still count as 4 :D
attachment.php

Excellent set for pretty much every blade jobs.

For scalpel/exacto jobs you might want to consider a Bilton.
Just a notch bigger than a Karda, you can probably fit one in the Dui Chirra scabbard so it would still count as 4 :D
attachment.php

I just love to see pics of Snows ibbb.

I have Large / XL hands. My 18 inch M43 feels large but not in a bad way, my BAS 15 feels quite thin. Both feel fine. If I had choose, it would be right there in the middle of those two Kukri.

Ooooooooh that's a gorgeous little bowie! I love the wood look on mine, but man would I love just a little extra grippieness, and if the wood went the full length of the tang, I would be elated.

I've been trying to get my hands on a Bilton for a while now. Actually I've asked Auntie about them with almost everyone order.. that size comparison and vote of approval just makes me want it more. Another Baby CAK came for me today, along with one other toy. Thanks for the pic!!

Edit: which Kami made that bowie/can we see the other side pretty please?

Last edited:
I'm certain Bhakta made snowwolfs bowie, it was one of the original short handle bowies, all made by Bhakta.

I've checkered about a dozen or more wood and horn handles, might be the ticket to get that grippyness you seek.

A guy might be able to splice a tail piece on to fully cover the tang too. I've cut tangs off on a couple but never added wood to cover.

Might be just as easy to knock the whole original wood handle off and put new slabs on too.

Thanks Bawanna, mine is by Bhakta as well!

I did see that double diamond checking and blueing you did on a micro bowie for someone and it got me thinking. It's absolutely incredible work, way outta my league I think. Same with the handle scales. I'm all for replacing them with new wood, but I wouldn't trust myself in the least. Plus it wouldn't match my kitchen knives!

Is there any chance you would be willing to checker one more handle? I would be forever grateful

I'm certain Bhakta made snowwolfs bowie, it was one of the original short handle bowies, all made by Bhakta.

Bow and arrow... Bhakta sounds alright.

Attachments

• CustomHandleIBBBKamiMarks.jpg
    CustomHandleIBBBKamiMarks.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 6
Most of my 15" - 16" khuks are running from 3" - 4.15"; my 18" and above 3.5" - 4.5".

My Tarwar sword is at 5", but still comfortable. The Tarwar is a beast, so speed isn't everything; in it's case, strength, accuracy, and technique is what makes it formidable.

Personally, I find anything from 3" - 4.5" perfectly comfortable; and anything above 4.5" is unwieldy one handed. Swords 4.5" and bigger are pretty comfortable using a 1 1/2 hand - 2 handed grip.

After reviewing your photo, I too agree that your hands do not look excessively large, and the handle seems quite right, and comfortable.

If you are expecting to hold the and use the khukuri like a machete, then you are using it incorrectly. A grip and swing of a machete, is markedly different from a khukuri.

I would recommend watching a video that shows you the proper "snap" technique (I believe someone else has already posted the link on your "M43 arrived" thread).

Good luck!

Another HI Newbie here researching so I'm dredging up this old thread with a question - Where can I see this video you reference?
This has been an interesting and informative thread. Photos were most useful.

Thanks very much for the help.

Ray

I'm in the same boat... I can handle any girth, but a too-short handle kills my hand... on a couple of my heavy users I've actually ground off the upper curve on the end of the handle so it won't dig into the part of the palm it rubs raw (the part of the palm that would be the striking surface in a "karate chop"). Even with a loose grip, the upper curve on the traditional Kukri handle (if too short) rips the skin off.

I think I could safely say, that every Kukri I own would swing better if the handle were at least an inch (or two), longer.

I can get used to almost any girth, but length, if too short is a problem ("That's what she said....") :-D

Back