Handles material...

What is the difference, and advantages / disadvantages to the different handles such as G-10, Micarta, Zytel, etc... any chart as to which is best?

Well.., in my opinion you're looking at three materials that all wear well, although I personally don't like Zytel (for no good reason).

I would give the edge to G10 for endurance, and it also doesn't absorb moisture, or oils from your hands like Micarta does.

-However-.., I do like Canvas Micarta even though it's absorbtion rate is somewhat more than G10, but again.., this is not for any reason other than my own preference.

I do think Canvas Micarta remains decently "grippy" even though it's absorbtion level is higher, and I like it's looks better in general. It would be my choice.., but I would give the endurance nod to G10...

G10 is many thin fiberglass sheets epoxied together and compressed to form a basically indestructable block. Micarta is made the same way except instead of the fiberglass, paper, linen or canvass is used. Zytel is a strong nylon (plastic) that can be injection molded to shape. Micarta and G10 are super tough and aren't affected by chemicals.

I like all three materials but I have to give the edge to G-10. It's surface provides the best degree of purchase while holding the knife, in other words, you're less likely to drop the thing :D . Also, IMO G-10 is much more durable.

Back