Happy 230th B-Day, USMC! Semper Fi !

Now hear this!

Happy 230th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps, the FIRST official armed force of the United States, created on 10 Nov 1775 at Tun Tavern in Philthadelphia.

This year the USPS is commemorating four Distinguished Marines on First Class stamps to be issued in conjunction with the birthday of the Marine Corps. The stamps honor the service of Lieutenant General John A. Lejeune, the Corps' 13th Commandant; LtGen Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller; Sergeant Major Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, who won two Medals of Honor; and Gunnery Sergeant John "Manila John" Basilone, who won a Medal of Honor at Guadalcanal and a posthumous Navy Cross at Iwo Jima.

StampSheet.gif

The Commandant's 2005 Birthday Message:

"On November 10th, 1775, the Second Continental Congress resolved to raise two battalions of Continental Marines marking the birth of our United States Marine Corps. As Major General Lejeune’s message reminds us, the ensuing generations of Marines would come to signify all that is highest in warfighting excellence and military virtue. Each November as Marines the world over celebrate the birth of our Corps, we pay tribute to that long line of “Soldiers of the Sea” and the illustrious legacy they have handed down to us.

This past year has been one of continuous combat operations overseas and distinguished service here at home—a year of challenges that have brought out the very best in our Corps. In Iraq and Afghanistan, Marine courage and mastery of complex and chaotic environments have truly made a difference in the lives of millions. Marine compassion and flexibility provided humanitarian assistance to thousands in the wake of the South East Asian tsunami, and here at home, Marines with AAVs, helicopters, and sometimes with their bare hands saved hundreds of our own fellow Americans in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Across the full spectrum of operations, you have showcased that Marines create stability in an unstable world, and have reinforced our Corps’ reputation for setting the standard of excellence.

The sense of honor, courage, and patriotism that epitomized those who answered that first call to arms two hundred and thirty years ago is still indelibly imprinted on our ranks today. In commemorating our anniversary, let us strengthen our ties to the past by paying homage to those who have gone before us. As we honor the sacrifices of our wounded and fallen comrades, our commitment to one another remains unshakable. We take special pride in the actions of the Marines now serving in harm’s way, and rededicate ourselves to the service of our Nation and our Corps.

Happy Birthday, Marines. Semper Fidelis, and Keep Attacking!"

M. W. Hagee
General, U.S. Marine Corps

Happy Birthday and Semper Fi, my other green brothers!

Noah
USMC, USMCR '72-'84

Three cheers for the Marine Corps and all their years of service and a Wado Equa for all the sacrifices the Marines have made on the behalf of Freedom for each and every one of us and our Great Country!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Heartfelt thanks all around, each and every one of you are heros in my book!:thumbup:

A very happy birthday, indeed. AND, a big thank you for being the muscle of the USAF. I know it takes a special kind of cat to be a Marine. I never went that route, but I like to think that'd be right up my ally.
Once again, thanks Marines, and thanks to all the rest of you guys that donned the various uniforms of the different arms of the service. We owe you so very much.

Jake

Happy birthday USMC, I was Navy for 13 1/2 years and worked with some fantastic Marines. As has been said before once a Marine always a Marine. It does take a special person to be a Marine and I for one appreciate all they have done for us all. Thanks USMC.

James

I don't understand; how come our own friend Semper fi's picture is not a featured stamp?

munk

munk said:
I don't understand; how come our own friend Semper fi's picture is not a featured stamp? munk

Ain't dead yet, thankfully.

That said, the USPS allows you to customize and print your own stamps with pics of your kids or pet or whatnot. Many restrictions apply.

Noah

Regarding Semper Fi - Our own best of Uncle Sam's Misbegotten Children is camera shy and is holding out for a nude photo shoot in Playgirl anyway.

Happy Birthday USMC...

Welcome Home Brother Johnny!

Nasty said:
Regarding Semper Fi - Our own best of Uncle Sam's Misbegotten Children is camera shy and is holding out for a nude photo shoot in Playgirl anyway.

Happy Birthday USMC...

Welcome Home Brother Johnny!

Hunh? Shy + nude = He'll be naked but wearing a Zorro mask :rolleyes:

Happy Birthday Marine Corps!:thumbup: I know one old marine who's watching our goings on and wearing that big grin of his, Semper Fi Pappy, we miss you down here.

Sarge

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL MY BROTHER JARHEADS EVERYWHERE!

munk, I was asked to have my picture on a stamp but graciouly declined. My picture is already on the post office wall now. :eek:

Brother Nasty, as for the nude photo shoot in Playboy, about the best this old, fat and half bald Marine could do is a spot on the Crispy Cream calendar. :D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMC!

Semper Fi

munk, I was asked to have my picture on a stamp but graciouly declined. My picture is already on the post office wall now>> Semper fi

I think that's the main reason they asked you; cutting production costs considerably as they already had photo rights.

munk

the only service that throw's the bigest Birthday party around the World:D Semper Fi.

Happy Birthday Brothers and Sisters,

Hope this special day finds you and yours happy and in good health.

To those walking in harm's way; know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

"Some people come into our lives
and leave footprints on our heart
and we are never the same" ~ Flavia Weedn

Semper Fidelis and God Bless,
MGySgt. Greg Brannon USMC(Ret.)

fkae86.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/band/m_bandcd.nsf/0/db4ef9f46ed20c1c852567d30050db8a?OpenDocument

A late Happy Birthday to all of my fellow former Marines, and a big Thank You to all you new Marines out there. Semper Fi !! God Bless.

Been lurking for a while but of course this requires a post. Happy birthday brothers! Time for last minute blues prep, the ball is in two hours:D .

hoppy burfday from an old fart reservist in the only service that hits the beach before y'all do!:D

the marines taxi service
cg_image4.jpg

lest we forget

Semper Paratus!
RacingStripe.jpg

p.s.- nice stachoo of the marines raising the flag we loaned y'all on suribachi.
p.p.s. - 'bout time y'all give it back tho.
p.p.p.s - Happy Veterans Day - to old comrades living and dead, to those who have, and are still, given of themselves to maintain the freedoms we cherish, and bought with the blood of heroes.

Happy birthday Marine Corps. How would the world look today had you not left your mark on her?

I have a question. What was the original name? There was no US in 1775.

Andy

Back