Happy birthday Uncle Henry!

Codger_64

Henry Baer was born on Decenber 24th, 1899.

Born Henry B. Baer in Manhattan on Christmas Eve, December 24th, 1899, the man known to his peers, workers, customers and friends, eventually to the world as "Uncle Henry", was the namesake of his maternal grandfather, Henry Bodenheim (1823-1873).Today would have been Henry B. Baer's 112th birthday.

His maternal grandfather, Henry Bodenheim (1823-1873) was a partner of Aaron Kastor and Abraham Meyer in Bodenheim, Meyer, and Kastor of New York City, importers of guns, cutlery, and hardware from Belgium, England, and Germany, primarily marketed in the South. Bodenheim came to America from Germany in the 1840’s and lived in Vicksburg, MS., until 1865. The Vicksburg, Missisippi city directory of 1860 lists Bodenheim H. & Co., drygoods merchants, Washington St., West side.

Aaron Kastor (Koester) 1822-1885, came to America in 1841 and settled in Natchez, Missisippi becoming a prosperous merchant. He became a naturalized citizen in 1847 and changed his last name to the anglicized spelling (later adopted by his nephews). In 1864, six months after Union forces took Vicksburg, Aaron went to New York City and exchanged his $250,000 in greenbacks for $100,000 in gold. He then went to Europe (England, France, Germany) to buy hardware for import. He joined with Henry Bodenheim and Abraham Meyer in 1865 to form Bodenheim Meyer & Co. Kastor became a full partner in 1867 and their primary market was the American South.
qrkncn.jpg

Bodenheim, Meyer & Co., 149 Duane and 9 Thomas street, New York is listed in a letter of 1872 pleading with the Federal government to end the post war Federal occupation of New Orleans. It is also listed in Wilson's New York City Directory Of Copartnerships in March, 1874. The 42 Warren Street address is listed in the New York Hardware Directory of 1871.

Henry Bodenheim died in 1873 and the company reorganized as Meyer & Kastor, but did not fare well for a variety of reasons. In September of 1876, the company closed up shop for the final time; all debts and assets were liquidated.

In fact, it was Aaron’s nephew, Adolph Kastor, immigrated from Germany in 1870, who hired Henry's younger brother, Albert as a salesman at age 16 in 1922. In October, 1876, the 20-year old Adolph Kastor had his new company operating in a building on Canal Street in New York City, Adolph Kastor & Bros., importers of German made knives. This eventually became Camillus Cutlery. In 1932, August Kastor retired from Kastor Bros. and sold his shares in Kastor Bros. to Albert Baer. This is how the Baer's came to begin Camillus ownership.

Henry started out at age sixteen working for Frank Seeman Inc., an advertising agency in New York in 1916 and attended classes at the Art Student‘s League at night. But he soon joined the U.S. Navy in 1917, serving in WWI.

Returning home at the war‘s end, Henry was employed with his two uncles in their furniture business. Both Uncles died four years later in 1922 and Henry, then 22, took over the business, traveling from Maine to Georgia three weeks of the month as salesman.

It was while making a sales call in New York City that Henry met with a bizarre accident. Opening a door he thought led to a stairwell, Henry plummeted four stories down an open elevator shaft. He survived the fall, but spent six months in Bellevue Hospital recovering from his injuries… a broken pelvis, two broken arms and nose, and a potentially fatal skull fracture.

For those six months he was recovering in the hospital younger brother Albert, then 18 and employed with Adolph Kastor & Bros., visited nightly and wrote to Henry’s customers, taking care of their orders so that no customers were lost.

Henry joined his younger brother Albert in the knife business when the latter bought out the Divine family who owned what would be renamed the Ulster Knife Company in Walden New York. And continued with his brother when he, under the auspices of IKAC, purchased the Schrade family ownership of Schrade Cutlery, subsequently renamed Schrade Walden just at the end of WWII, and still later when he bought the remaining shares of the Kastor family in Camillus Cutlery in 1963, and Imperial Knife Associated Companies in 1983 to form Imperial Schrade Corporation.

Henry's creativity bloomed in the cutlery world with colorful logos, slogans, and unique knife designs including the Old Timer lines (1958) and the Uncle Henry lines (1967) that saw Schrade rise to the top of the heap in the marketplace, holding the title of the world's largest manufacturer of quality cutlery for years.

From the 1989 Schrade newsletter:

“Henry Baer possessed a natural business accumen which along with his sense of humor and affability made him a success. His creativity was evidenced by many Schrade innovations. And his commitment to making quality product demanded that he field test all Schrade designs before they were introduced to the public.”

In 1983, Henry Baer was elected into the Cutlery Hall of Fame for his contributions to the cutlery industry.

He was artistic in the more commonly thought of arts as well as in his knife design work. His inter-office memos were decorated with caricatures of himself doing whatever action he was requesting of his staff in the memos. His communications with customers were often spiced with poems and jokes, his watercolors and self-portrait artwork hung in the factory. I have a few examples of his sketches and caricatures from some papers of the early 1970's.

Henry Baer, retired President of Schrade Cutlery Corporation died in his apartment in Manhattan NY., at age 88 at 12:00 noon, Sunday, June 14th, 1987. He had been the President more than 35 years, and also Vice President of the Imperial Schrade Corporation, Schrade’s Parent Company. Listed in his obituary were his wife, Elsa Baer, sons Henry Phillip and Albert, both of Manhattan and two grandchildren, Hank and Susie Baer.

Happy birthday Henry!

Last edited:
i love reading history, thanks so much for sharing this.
and Happy Birthday, Henry!

You're welcome. An additional UH trivia tidbit... it appears that Henry Baer's birth name was Henry Aaron Baer and that at some time in his life he had it changed to Henry Bodenheim Baer. Larry V. can correct me if my memory is wrong on this.

Thank you, Michael; it takes a bit of care and work to type that up for us. I appreciate it. And it is always nice to see genuine English! Merry Christmas! And, Merry Christmas to all readers and contributors to this forum!

Thank you so much; that was fascinating.

Where can I find out more about the history of Schrade? Can you recommend any books or articles?

Any of you who have ever done any type of historical research are aware of the dead ends and rabbit trails encountered. Some are quite interesting even if they don't bear directly upon the story being researched. In this case I found several such side stories. Two of those in a book about bankruptcies in the South following the Civil War.

By April 1875, the Vicksburg, Missisippi drygoods firm of Bodenheim and Company had become insolvent. Company debts topped $150,000, imcluding more than $100,000 bought on credit from New Yorkers and others that spring. As the assignee of these creditors later alleged, principals of Bodenheim And Company knew that bankruptcy was imminant and "for the purpose of defrauding their creditors, they caused a large number of their confidential friends and customers to be secretly notified to come to their store for the express purpose of disposing of their goods and stock in trade, under the pretence of trading with them in the usual and ordinary course of business."

Later in the same reference book we find yet another odd occurance, the mention of a case of...

Bill of George M. Klein, assignee of H. Bodenheim And Company v. Leopold Baer, Abraham Baer, and Issac Baer (Law & Equity cases filed Feb, 2, 1877)

My research has not connected these cases with either the heirs of Henry Bodenheim or the predecessors of the Baer brothers. But I thought it odd.

Bruce Voyles stated in this Forum he was writing a book on the history of Imperial Schrade some five years ago, and it was to be offered to members of the Schrade Collectors Club....Asbob could perhaps approach one of the active members of that Club for a copy....
I vote Codger Schrade no 1 devotee, for his enthusiasm and extensive knowledge, as a result of his own research, ..and more importantly his willingness to openly share without cost. This forum has benefited greatly from his, and Larry V's, Schrade efforts....Well done. I trust neither of you will suffer being banned like Roland our late active,enthusiastic and popular member...Hoo Roo....

Larry, I try very hard not to give the forum moderators good reason to ban me. But they would do it in a heartbeat if I did. Still, my posts of my research here would remain. And still show up with forum searches, google searches, in WIKI articles and in sellers' descriptions on eBay. One is pleased to be of service.

Larry Vickery is the one who deserves more praise for his efforts. In addition to his hard work building and maintaining the Schrade and Camillus archive sites, he has and continues to actively support my research while preferring to remain behind the scenes.

thank you for all your knowledge. It is such a pleasure to read your posts.

Thanks for bringing that up. I've really enjoyed going through the old post here and learning about Schrade. They were a great company!

I met Irv Tractenberg, VP of marketing at Schrade, at a knife show in Manhattan in 1977. He invited my brothers and I for a tour of the factory in Ellenville. We met Uncle Henry who just happened to be there that day. I believe Dave Swinden was running the daily operations at the time. Uncle Henry invited us to his home if we were ever in Manhattan. One Sunday afternoon my brother George and I were in Manhattan on business and looked up Henry's address. It was published in the white pages, Central Park West. I called him and he invited us over for lunch. Uncle Henry was the real deal. A true gentleman who took a genuine interest in us asking us about our lives and families. I will never forget the encounter and consider it a privilege to meet him.

Happy Birthday

Bumping this one again because... :)
And again! Happy Birthday Uncle Henry!
2qv733m.jpg

The inventor and his invention. Henry Baer sharpening his new Sharpfinger circa 1973 using a Schrade Honesteel. Note the first generation sheath on his desk with the pointed strap end.

Reactions: 315
I enjoy reading the history of where iconic products got their start, wether it be In this country or abroad. Thanks Codger_64 Codger_64

Back