Hapstone RS - First Look

There has been a lot of momentum building with the soon to be released Hapstone RS, so I thought I would post some first look and first sharpening photos and answer some questions here. I received this pre-release unit from Gritomatic to experiment with and to see what can be designed as part of any possible upgrades.

The first knife I sharpened on it today was a Bugout. I used my Venev MS-1 Metallic bonded CBN stones.

I have to admit - I was much more impressed with the Hapstone RS than I expected to be! It's meant to be Hapstone's smaller "entry level" system but it performs better than many of the high-end professional systems that I have used.

The clamps are a shortened, smaller version of the Hapstone "Opti" clamps. I am not that big of a fan of the regular length Opti clamps, but these shorter clamps seem to work better than the regular Opti clamps. I tried various Spyderco full flat grind knives in them to see how they sit in the clamps and all of them clamp securely. Using one clamp on the tang area and the second towards the tip works well with most knife grinds that I have tried up to this point. The clamp stock is a little on the thin side, which means they can permanently deform a little bit when over-tightened but the thin profile is an advantage for low angles and small knives. The F80 grit Venev CBN MS-1 made very quick work of re-profiling the well used and chipped Bugout blade.

The Hapstone RS base plate is heavy, sturdy and works very well even though it's smaller than the R2 base.

Hapstone made the module mount point standard, so optional Hapstone modules (M3, V8, Scissors and Chisel module) will work on it. This is a big bonus if you ever wanted to convert it into a magnetic platform sharpener, scissors sharpener or if you just want to expand and upgrade the RS system. You could even mount a R2 rotating bar on it if you really wanted to.

The clamp bar is also standard, so any of the new generation (R2) Hapstone clamps will fit on the Hapstone RS bar.

The Stone holder will accommodate any 6 inch or smaller 4 inch sized stone and also works just fine with non-backed rectangular stones / dual sided stones. I would be careful not to over tighten the stone clamp adjustment screw (black screw below) because the stone arm is a tube that slides over a rod. If you over-tighten the screw and bend the tube, then it might bind up on the rod so don't be overzealous with this screw. With normal tightening it will not be a problem, but some ham-handed individuals might cause damage here. I don't see it as a problem at all - just something to be aware of.

For stone thickness compensation, they use a rubber o-ring...this is not a good idea at all because it can move if bumped. In reality, a stone thickness compensator is not actually necessary at all, as long as you use a digital angle cube and compensate by adjusting your angle when swapping stones or strops.
[EDIT - I was wrong about the rubber O-ring, it is NOT meant for stone thickness compensation. Hapstone Official Hapstone Official explained further down in this thread that it is meant to be a dampener when the vertical rod slips down so it won't strike the table you're working on.]

Due to the stone arm design (rod inside of a tube) you'll only be able to use 1 stopper, not 2 stoppers for sharpening stroke length restriction.

IMG_20230506_164947.jpg

Hapstone very cleverly designed a magnetic bearing mount for the sharpening stone arm. (The first magnetic bearing of this type that I've seen in any system). This makes it quick and easy to pop off and mount back instead of relying on a parking hook system. It's a great feature to be able to quickly remove the whole sharpening stone rod arm when inspecting the blade during sharpening.

IMG_20230506_165513.jpg

15 Degrees per side gives the following clearance with the standard clamp screws mounted, using the Bugout blade and standard clamps. Note, this will vary on blade type and size.

IMG_20230506_165159.jpg

For reference below I have 2 photos of the lowest sharpening angle possible (10.3 degrees) before it touches the rotating clamp unit. Note - with longer R2 clamps, a wide blade or my Leading Edge magnetic platform, you can actually get a much lower sharpening angle than this.

IMG_20230506_165703.jpg
IMG_20230506_165653.jpg

And here are 2 photos of the highest sharpening angle (35.2 degrees), using the standard RS clamps with the Bugout blade clamped in them.

IMG_20230506_165831.jpg
IMG_20230506_165804.jpg

The built-in Fine tuning adapter comes standard with the RS. It has a range of adjustment of 4 degrees.

IMG_20230506_165849.jpg

That's some of the most important points I can think of - for now, but please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them as far as I can.

Last edited:
That looks nice! What do you reckon is the longest blade it can handle?

Check that: on their Indiegogo page they claim it can handle knives up to 9".

Last edited:
disappointing that it can't go lower than 10 DPS, but hey, I guess you can't win em all. [rant] is it just me or is the hapstone website a nightmare to use? I find their lack of proper grammar and the stupid emojis everywhere makes for a terrible experience. [/rant]

That looks nice! What do you reckon is the longest blade it can handle?

Check that: on their Indiegogo page they claim it can handle knives up to 9".

With the original clamps rotated outward, the space between the outside of the clamps is 170mm (6.7 inches). I have a 12 inch ruler clamped in it (below in the photos). It will easily be able to sharpen a blade of that length. I would even say up to 13 inches of blade would be fine. At a reach of 6.5 inches from the center (13 inch blade), it still has about 2 inches of rod to spare inside the stone holder tube.

The only limitation with a 12-13 inch blade, would be that you can't rotate the clamp 180 degrees without lifting the sharpener off the table or raising the front while rotating. If you want full rotation without lifting it, then the max would be about a 7 inch blade.

Space between the clamps:

IMG_20230507_021058.jpg

A 12 inch ruler clamped and the stone holder tube removed off of the rod - here you can see how much rod reaches beyond the far end:

IMG_20230507_021313.jpg

A view from above of (what would be) about a 13 inch blade. Full reach of sharpening is comfortably possible.

IMG_20230507_021356.jpg

Last edited:
disappointing that it can't go lower than 10 DPS, but hey, I guess you can't win em all.
You can go lower than 10 degrees with a set of regular Hapstone R2 clamps (they are longer than the RS clamps). My magnetic platform Leading Edge core module will also allow much lower angles. A wide blade that protrudes further from the clamps will give a lower sharpening angle too.

Last edited:
Minimum Angles:

I just finished designing and testing my Leading Edge Core platform for the Hapstone RS and took some photos of the minimum angle possible.

I designed the Leading Edge platform to sit slightly higher than the original clamp height (this allows a significantly lower sharpening angle if required). It also mounts higher than the Hapstone M3 & V8 platforms. (M3 and V8 platform photos at the end of this post.)

Here is a photo of my Leading Edge Core upgrade magnetic platform for the RS. I designed it to easily mount to the clamp bar using the original Hapstone clamp thumb screws.

IMG_20230507_152223.jpg

Using my Leading Edge platform (with the 3-point knife guide removed), the lowest angle possible would be 2.1 degrees. The limit is the RS vertical angle adjustment rod set as far down as it can go. Photo below:

IMG_20230507_152029.jpg

Leading Edge platform with the 3-point knife guide installed. Only 2 points of the guide is touching the spine of this blade (the center part of the guide is moved back and not in use). Small blades (like the Victorinox blade for example) can easily be sharpened down to 10 degrees in this configuration.

IMG_20230507_152357.jpg

Now for some photos of the Hapstone V8 module mounted on the Hapstone RS platform:

IMG_20230507_152909.jpg

IMG_20230507_153015.jpg

The lowest possible angle using the Hapstone V8 module (M3 module will be the same) with a regular sized EDC blade, is 11.9 degrees. Again, the limit here is the RS vertical angle adjustment rod set as far down as it can go:

IMG_20230507_152815.jpg

Last edited:
Any comments on how that magnetic/ball guide-rod system "feels" in use? I realize that in use any pressure is "downward", but would how would you describe the feel in actual use?

This system looks very nice! What would be the benefit, if any, of buying the R2 model over this one? I assume this model will be priced lower than the R2?

I'm not too concerned about only being able to use only one stop as I currently use an Edge Pro with zero stops and don't have any issue with it. I've been very happy with my Edge Pro which I've owned for about 10yrs (added slide guide and magnet, both MEGA upgrades IMO), but I've been interested in trying a clamp system for potentially even more angle consistency. I was leaning towards the Hapstone R2 model with the original clamps, but this new model is looking pretty good.

This system looks very nice! What would be the benefit, if any, of buying the R2 model over this one? I assume this model will be priced lower than the R2?

I was leaning towards the Hapstone R2 model with the original clamps, but this new model is looking pretty good.

Before I had the RS, I expected it to be far inferior to the R2 but I was wrong. In all honesty, it is a very impressive little system. The only thing I would prefer, is slightly thicker and sturdier clamps to stop any deformation when you're clamping down a blade hard. Luckily Hapstone has lots of clamp options that can work on the RS.

I'm really not sure what the final price and official release date will be, but from what I can tell it should be around August or so.

You certainly won't go wrong with a Hapstone R2 "Standard" model. It is, and remains a top system for the money and the R2 "standard" angled clamps are some of the most versatile clamps around. The bar is a little longer on the R2, which would help sharpen even bigger knives but then again - most people won't sharpen many 13"+ knives.

If you want to "wait it out" for the RS to be released, you'll get a system which will be smaller and more compact and you'll likely find it sharpens pretty much on par with the R2.

If you have a dedicated space on your workbench for sharpening and space is not an extreme issue then the R2 "standard" is still your best bet - but only by a small margin. The RS really is a great sharpener. If the RS clamps don't suit your knives or you want to try different clamps then you can easily swap the RS clamps out for R2 clamps. The clamps are interchangeable between the two systems.

Last edited:
For stone thickness compensation, they use a rubber o-ring...this is not a good idea at all because it can move if bumped. In reality, a stone thickness compensator is not actually necessary at all, as long as you use a digital angle cube and compensate by adjusting your angle when swapping stones or strops.
Thank you for the great review, and the handling of the small details made us very happy as well.

We want to be a little more specific about the rubber band.

The rubber band is not for levelling the sharpening angle during stone changes. And that the vertical guide would not hit the table when releasing the screw.
In case someone has a glass table =)

We want to be a little more specific about the rubber band.

The rubber band is not for levelling the sharpening angle during stone changes. And that the vertical guide would not hit the table when releasing the screw.
In case someone has a glass table =)

Ah, ok that makes sense now! Thanks for the explanation! You have made another excellent sharpening system and I have to congratulate you on the design and implementation. Well done Hapstone Official Hapstone Official !

When do you expect the official release date to be?

Ah, ok that makes sense now! Thanks for the explanation! You have made another excellent sharpening system and I have to congratulate you on the design and implementation. Well done Hapstone Official Hapstone Official !

When do you expect the official release date to be?
Thank you for your words of admiration, we are proud to hear it.

We anticipate a release towards the end of the summer, but we're making a Herculean effort to get it done by July.

Back