Harbor Freight Mini-Mill CNC Conversion

Ok guys, here's part one. A short intro and table disassembly. Skip right to the video or read my boring explanation of why I'm doing this below.

Here's a little background on my interest in CNC. I went to college right out of high school to become a mechanical engineer, but after a couple years of school, I was extremely bored and restless. Got the brilliant idea to quit college and start a roofing business with a friend, which didn't end so well.

Joined the Marine Corps and worked avionics on F18 Hornets. After the military, started college for the second time, in the Electronics Tech program. I became aware of CNC milling in the early 90's while our college class took a tour of a local business that was converting old equipment into modern looking CNC machines bound for factory duty.

I was getting pretty good at computer programming and electronics so I built a couple stepper motor controllers and wrote some code to do basic x and y movements. I even made a cnc Etch-a-Sketch that worked pretty good! Made a crude cnc foam cutting machine for making foam cored R/C airplane parts too.

Then, along came marriage, kids, better job, more school, etc. All those cnc thoughts faded and technology advanced well past what I knew. A few years ago, I bought a Carvewright cnc wood router and it sort of renewed my interest in cnc for a while, but it is pretty limited as to what you can do with it. Everything is proprietary and every little option costs more and more money.

But lately, with this new hobby of knife making, all those cnc thoughts have been creeping back in. Someday, I like to get into some 3d machined pocket knife scales or even some 3d machined fixed blade scales. Pistol grips? I like working on old cars and hot rods, so I've got some ideas for that arena too.

Now, I just hope I can figure all this stuff out again!

<removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been down this road. You're probably better served finding an old CNC with good iron and bad control and doing a control retrofit than putting CNC on a Harbor Freight mill. It doesn't cost more, it's saves time and you end up with better results.

Am I not allowed to post a video link? Or even my name? I see they both were removed? Can someone explain?

Yeah Nathan, I thought about doing that first, but I could find anything locally that I thought I could build. I just wanted to get my feet wet in cnc machining and I think I can recoup my investment if I want to trade it off. I already have someone offering to buy it when its done if I want to sell it. Since I didn't go the kit route, I won't have too much money invested in this project. After I gain some experience, I would like to step up to a big machine center or something someday.

Am I not allowed to post a video link? Or even my name? I see they both were removed? Can someone explain?

Hi, chevytrucking. You aren't allowed a signature line without a paid membership. The Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube links could contain monetized links, for which you would need a higher level paid membership.

Check out the heading to see the FAQ, with Bladeforums rules.

Hi, chevytrucking. You aren't allowed a signature line without a paid membership. The Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube links could contain monetized links, for which you would need a higher level paid membership.

Check out the heading to see the FAQ, with Bladeforums rules.

FWIW, I'm following his video(s) in another forum, and he's simply documenting a process, and doing a heck a good job IMO. There is no "monetizing" or promotion of anything but how to do a HF MM CNC retrofit.
Am I allow to link his video? I have a paid membership...

I guess I should be quit being a cheapskate and get a membership here. What level of membership will allow you to link youtube videos? The "basic" membership says "limited" attachments, but doesn't go into detail.

If you plan on selling any knives, or showing much of your work, I'd probably opt for the maker/craftsmen/service provider membership.

Back