"Hard wire"?

I've seen a few descriptions of multi-tools being able to cut "hard wire". What exactly is hard wire? In my usage I have never cut anything harder than copper wire and standard steel wire.

A recent review of the Gerber Center Drive showed that the cutter bits chipped when cutting hard wire.

So, what's the max thickness of wire that the Center Drive (or any multi-tool with carbide cutter bits in the jaws) can cut?

(07 Dec. '17) ETA - I always thought that the addition of the carbide cutters was for durability, not necessarily to cut 'harder' materials.

~Chris

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure when they say "hard wire" they mean anything harder than copper, so a wire coat hanger is about what they have in mind as far as gauge and hardness. It takes a pretty darn good cutter to stand up to hardened steel like piano wire, I would expect that to damage a multitool. And yes, the carbide cutters are for wear resistance rather than the ability to cut harder material.

Thanks. Yeah, I wondered about the review I saw. During the review below (@2:15) the reviewer says the stainless steel wire is 3/32", but he then mics it at .195, which is over 3/16". First, I'd never cut stainless wire with a multi-tool - mainly because my hand would hurt like hell for a day after (arthritis) - but also because I already have several dedicated tools for that kind of work anyway. Why wreck a good MT?

For the first time in years, I'm actually excited about a new multi-tool hitting the market. I've always wondered why nobody ever engineered a MT that would take regular 1/4"-drive hex bits, without having to carry an extra adapter.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me one. YES - if believing in a weird reindeer-poop covered fat guy will get me a new Gerber Center Drive, I'll believe in him. I promise. :D

Here's the review if anyone's interested:

~Chris

I've had to cut relatively hard fencing wire with my multitools a couple of times, it damaged my SwissTool a bit. I learned my lesson and got into the habit of carrying fencing tools in my saddle bags.

Thanks. Yeah, I wondered about the review I saw. During the review below (@2:15) the reviewer says the stainless steel wire is 3/32", but he then mics it at .195, which is over 3/16". First, I'd never cut stainless wire with a multi-tool - mainly because my hand would hurt like hell for a day after (arthritis) - but also because I already have several dedicated tools for that kind of work anyway. Why wreck a good MT?

For the first time in years, I'm actually excited about a new multi-tool hitting the market. I've always wondered why nobody ever engineered a MT that would take regular 1/4"-drive hex bits, without having to carry an extra adapter.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me one. YES - if believing in a weird reindeer-poop covered fat guy will get me a new Gerber Center Drive, I'll believe in him. I promise. :D

~Chris

Have you ever heard of Spyderco's SpydeRench? Uses standard 1/4" bits, stores 4 in the handle and separates into two parts so you can use the adjustable wrench on one half to hold a nut while you use a bit in the driver on the other half to turn a screw. Long discontinued, but an interesting tool.

~Chris

Don't forget about the MP1. Takes standard hex bits and you don't have to worry about breaking those carbide cutters. I've used mine quite a bit and while I have a few small gripes I've found it to be a pretty good tool. I do want to get my hands on a center drive though:)
7jYjBeT.jpg

Thanks - I hadn't heard of this one 'til now. :cool:

Don't forget about the MP1. Takes standard hex bits and you don't have to worry about breaking those carbide cutters. I've used mine quite a bit and while I have a few small gripes I've found it to be a pretty good tool. I do want to get my hands on a center drive though:)

What deficiencies does it have?

~Chris

Thanks - I hadn't heard of this one 'til now. :cool:

What deficiencies does it have?

~Chris

My biggest concern is that mine has developed a little play in the plier pivot. Seems it can be remedied by peening but I just haven't gotten around to it. Plus they used Velcro on the sheath instead of a snap. This is a pet peeve of mine and drives me crazy.

I started a thread with my observations and a bunch of pics over on MTO if you are interested. https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,74427.0.html

I think the MP1 is priced too high but if you can get a good deal on one I'd say go for it.

I can't believe that reviewer thought this tool would cut steel stock that thick. Maybe a bass guitar string but not 3/16 stainless steel rod. "Oh WOW! I DID break it!" he says........ That was hilarious.

I have never buggered the cutters on a multitool as long as I used it within its design. I don't think I'll ever need to replace the carbide on the ones with that feature.

Multitools are compromise. I find them invaluable to my every day life, but I don't expect even the beefiest of tools to cut that sort of hard wire.

I've seen a few descriptions of multi-tools being able to cut "hard wire". What exactly is hard wire? In my usage I have never cut anything harder than copper wire and standard steel wire....

~Chris

There can be no doubt that the "hard wire notch"
came about as a result of consumers somehow damaging their cutters.
The hard wire notch feature presumably (according to some) came about in 1996 ...
https://www.smartknives.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tools/PST/Leatherman-PST-1996-WN.htm
However I would like to think that it was a design feature meant for the then newly developed PST 2
which was the first PST type tool made specifically
for those who had in the past, used their original PST's for fishing task.
Leatherman's prior experience with warranty returns
meant it had to have the "Hard wire cutter notch" for dealing with "hard" wires ...
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=PST+II
just my two cents.

In my experience it’s not the thickness but how hard the material is as to whether or not it will cut it with out damage. Just a few of the uses that come to mind: safety wire-common on aircraft, race cars, heavy equipment, etc. I’ve run across this at time when I wasn’t expecting it and was unprepared for it. Barbed wire fencing: common in farmland cattle country. Ran across a few downed trees that took out a portion of a neighbors cattle fence while I was out hunting one day, had to cut and splice to repair it. Another fencing use is the heavy gauge aluminum wire often used to secure chain link fence to the fence post. If you’re clumsy like me I’m sure you’ve gotten fish hooks caught in places they shouldn’t be, often times I find it easier just to cut the hook off to remove it than try to intake or work it back out. Also putting that notch right against the pivot give you more leverage to deal with those harder material with less hand fatigue.

Back