I'm looking for a knife meeting the following specs :

- folder
- around 2 1/2 in. blade
- very good ergonomics
- stout assembly
- thinner blade, no tac
- good stainless steel (ats34, vg10...)
- under $60

It is intended to work hard and to last long, though looking civilized.

I was considering what the market has to offer.

The Spyderco Salsa looks pleasant, particularly with reduced prices. It really seduces me, except for this cobra hook and, more important, for the aus-8 steel. I read much good things about the salsa here.

A.G. Russel offers the "ATS-34 Pocket Lockback" (G-10 or carbon fiber). Here the steel is right, but I'm suspicious about the stoutness of these carbon or G-10 scales, and I imagine it is not as comfortable as the aluminum salsa. Has anyone ever experienced this knife ?

Are there other knives meeting my expectations ?

Unfortunately, as I write, the "Search" function of the forums looks out of use.

Thanks for all feedback,

Mathias

Mathias,

I don't have experience with the Russell but the Salsa is a fine knife. It's a stout little knife that really personifies the Little Big Knife. At the current price, it's a bargain and has the Spyderco quality behind it.

I think the titanium handle Salsa has ATS-34. I have an aluminum handle Salsa. Great knife. There is a Salsa 2 coming out that is a bit slimmer.

Hello.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, the titanium salsa is ATS-34, but although it's been discontinued the price has not been lowered and is still far beyond what I can afford.

So noone knows about the A.G.Russel knife ?

(Gorlank, I really like your avatar !)

My only problem with the Salsa is that the blade is rather wide--while useful for sliceing, it can be difficult to use when you have to get your blade in to a narrow space. And I'm not a huge fan of the Compression-lock.

But here are a few others that you might want to look at:

Spyderco Scorpius
Spyderco Native (or the Native III or SS Native)

Happy hunting,
Allen.

I am a big fan of A.G. Russell knives (I own three of them), but the knife you are referring to is not what I consider a "hard work" knife. It is small, light, and more of a gentleman's knife. It would be more appropriate for an office environment or dress carry.

I had very similar requirements for a knife a little while back. I ended up going with the Spyderco Dragonfly (I bought the Carbon Fiber one, took a lot of searching), but you could go with the SS Dragonfly with ATS-55.

Does the blade need to be 2.5" or less? If so, Have you looked at the SS Kiwi? It sells at some dealers for around $50.00. If a 3" blade will work, try the Delica, which I have seen for less than $40.00 in its FRN hilted form, or the new Scorpius, which I have seen for just under $60.00 and is a real bargain at that price.

Thank you. I had not noticed the Scorpius yet, I'll have a look at it.
For others Spydies, I really hate FRN handles. SS is all right.
And thanks to satherton for his advice. I tend to like several a.g.russel designs on the web site, but could never handle one yet.

Bye.

Back