Harpy or Native?

Decide it was time for another Spyderco. In my modest collection I own a Endura and a Delica.

I like the design of the Native and the CPM440V blade. I like the Harpy and I'm a big movie fan, so when I saw a Harpy in the trailor for Hannibal, I thought that this might be interesting. BTW, do they use the serrated or plain edge version in the movie? (Only starting here end of the week)

Any recommendations as to which one I should get?

Of the two mentioned I have only the native but it is an excellent all round user. The steelholds an edge for a loooong time but does take some effort to sharpen.

I recommend the Native. The Harpy is one of the very few Sydercos I find unattractive! RKBA!

I currently own a G10 harpy, and used to have a lightweight native (until it up and jumped out of my pocket).

They're two completely different knives.

The native has a great grip, a useful blade shape, and is alot of knife packed into a small package. The new blade steel is terrific. Also, it has a reversable clip, so you could carry it left handed. I didn't like the native as much as my other spyderco's, because I found the posistion of the hole difficult to open. I like the pronounced hump on the delica's/other spydercos much more.

The harpy is also a cool knife. I believe in the movie hanibal, they use a plain edge G10 harpy, which is supposedly getting to be rare. I have a serrated G10 harpy, which I like alot. Its a very tiny knife, almost identical to my spyderco standard when closed. The hole on the harpy is a little bigger looking, though. The harpy is very smooth opening, and makes it easy to do the "spyderco drop" with. The harpy works great for cutting rope, and for opening boxes. However, its a pretty sick looking blade, and more than a little likely to scare the sheeple (if you don't conceal it with a finger over the blade). I'd love to see a version of the harpy with a compression lock. (I know its not going to happen, but, the compression lock is soooo cool).

Overall, they're two very different knives. I'd have to say I like the harpy more than I liked the native, although a lot of people are big fans of the native. I believe you should be able to find the native for a cheaper price, and the new steel on the native is better (in my opinion) than the steel on the harpy (ats-55). It depends on how you want to use the knife, where you want to use the knife (in public?) and personal preference.

Go with whichever one you like better.
smile.gif
Or, better yet, go with both.

-- Rob

I intend to get both myself. I don't believe in torturing myself too much with these things... Besides, I agree that each design will excel at different tasks. Jeff/1911.

My mistake, I believe you're right.
I never did see the handle.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThinkOfTheChildren:
In Hannibal he used a SS Plain-Edge Harpy.</font>

Thanks guys. I'm keen on the Hannibal Harpy
smile.gif
Sheeple are of no consequence in this country when it comes to knives. Much bigger problems here.

Where could one get the best price on the Harpy?

Since you are in South Africa, don't bother with a Harpy, get a Matriarch. It's much more knife. Then get a Lightweight Native to go with it. The 440V blade is a wonder, and I just love mine.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

For defensive purposes, the Matriarch or Civvie will serve much better than the Harpy (or Native).

Owning both a Native and a Harpy, I can tell you that they are very different knives. The Native is more versatile, but the hawkbill is more useful than many people tend to think. The Harpy is great for tip work, electrical work, as well as fishing (what it was designed for), opening boxes, etc. The Native is a much better knife for cutting food - I can't for the life of me figure out how to cut a sandwich with my Harpy
smile.gif
I carry my Harpy every day, but I carry other knives as well. I would not carry the Harpy as my only knife, as there's some things it doesn't work well for. I also carry either my Native or 940, and 710, AFCK, and/or Sifu. If you carry more than one knife at a time, the Harpy will compliment your other knife nicely. If you only carry one, I would recommend the Native over the Harpy. I got my G-10 harpy from here: http://www.bayouknifeworks.com/auctions/knives.htm for about $50 shipped, definitely worth the money. They also pop up on eBay and the For Sale forum here from time to time.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

First get the Harpy. Then, if you still are in want of the Native, the time would be right for obtaining the straight-blade.

------------------
Life Member NRA & PMA, member AKTI, NKCA, ATA, and any other worthy cause I can find.

Both are good knives. The Native is one of the best "do all" designs I've found. Definitely among the best EDC blades there is.

Paul

I agree with Paul. In terms of your collection right now, I'd say the Native(plain edge) makes more sense for your next purchase. I think the Harpy is a bit more specialized in terms of use and ease of sharpening. You know you're going to get them both anyways eventually.
biggrin.gif

I am getting a Naitive to add to my collection, but I prefer the CRK&T Seahawk to the Harpy, strange but true.

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Checked out the Native again, but not happy with the way the edge of the opening hole disappears into the grip. I'm going with the Harpy, but I'll probably want a Native as well later on
smile.gif

I have both the Seahawk and Harpy, and like the stain-resistant blade finish of the Harpy for general utility carry. When I have resorted to carrying the Seahawk, it always accumulates a rust-patina overnight from condensation. Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't occur with the smooth finish on my spydies.

------------------
Life Member NRA & PMA, member AKTI, NKCA, ATA, and any other worthy cause I can find.

Back