Has anyone ever tried this with a liner lock?

The other day I realized the if the space between the G10 and steel lockbar of my 0200 had, say, a coin slid into it when open, then the knife would essentially be impossible to close on the hand. A dime still allows my index finger to fit in the finger slot too, and the dime is held in just by comfortably gripping the knife. I think this could be a handy trick to do in a pinch if you ever had to use a liner lock in a way that might cause the lock to fail (not necessarily saying that anyone should).

examples:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adudenamedjosh/15289935971/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adudenamedjosh/15106368340/in/photostream/

Last edited:
I"d be a little concerned about the wear caused over time when that coin begins to wedge in tighter with use, esp hard, vibratory use, of the knife. Tap that butt on the table firmly a couple times and you'll have to wedge it out with a screwdriver. Won't you?

I'll report back if I ever use that trick.

I used to do this with a small nut inserted between the liner and the frame of my RAT-1. I actually carried it as a fixed blade in a sheath that way. Works under very hard use and didn't damage the knife at all.

Sorry about that! A dime is a ten cent coin used in the United States, as shown in the photo links.

I'd imagine most anything would work in place of a dime anyways. It doesn't have to be really compress resistant as it's just holding the lock in place. Any wood chip should do if you're afraid of wear.

Never tried that, but in your second picture it looks like it would get uncomfortable with some "hard use", i will try this soon. Not to get off topic but hows that ghetto wave working for you?

What are people doing with their knives that cause a liner lock to fail? I've never had any of the locks on any of my knives fail.

I do suppose that a sliding lockface is a concern for some folders, but it shouldn't happen to a well made lock on medium use levels; for rough or hard use, I think the biggest concern should be breaking or bending the liner.

Preventing the lock from slipping at those levels would probably lead to a broken linerlock, though - point being, if you're using the linerlock so hard that you think the (In this case, well made.) lock might slip, you're probably not "using it right", as some people might say.

A lot of good points made here. I also thought about using a piece of wood if you had to do something strenuous to your knife out in the forest and wanted a little extra insurance, since it wouldn't be hard to cut your own shim out of some timber. I agree a lock will never fail if used properly such as when treated like a slip joint, but who doesn't like to plan for a "crap hit the fan" survival scenario :)

@survival&weapons: The ghetto wave actually works really well, but I may take it off because the 0200 is already a beast of a knife and waving it out takes it to another level! The hole left from tapping out the thumbstud bar works well for opening the knife too, so I don't feel the need to press it back in any time soon.

I used to do this with a small nut inserted between the liner and the frame of my RAT-1. I actually carried it as a fixed blade in a sheath that way. Works under very hard use and didn't damage the knife at all.

This would probably be the best reason to do it, sheath carry has a charm of its own. Then you can get creative with whatever you want to use as a shim. As long as you keep in mind that it adds minimal lock strength, but is just keeping the lock in place I see no problem.

I can't say this is something I would ever try. I wouldn't carry a knife which has a lock I don't have confidence in. I've also never needed to "spontaneously" have a fixed blade.

If I'm going camping or hiking, I bring a fixed blade whether or not I think I'm going to need one. If I'm at home or near my car, I'll grab a fixed blade if I need one. If it's my typical EDC... I really can't imagine a task that I'd be concerned would cause lock failure in a CRK or ZT framelock - and if I was I would find a better tool for the job. /shrug

I can't say this is something I would ever try. I wouldn't carry a knife which has a lock I don't have confidence in. I've also never needed to "spontaneously" have a fixed blade.

If I'm going camping or hiking, I bring a fixed blade whether or not I think I'm going to need one. If I'm at home or near my car, I'll grab a fixed blade if I need one. If it's my typical EDC... I really can't imagine a task that I'd be concerned would cause lock failure in a CRK or ZT framelock - and if I was I would find a better tool for the job. /shrug

Confidence and safety are two very different things. I can be confident that you'll read this message since I replied to you using a quote but to be safe I could send you a PM to make sure. See my point? In the end it's all for fun, man.

Back