• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Has anyone here dealt with a Dennis Ross on EBAY?

I just won an auction on ebay for a DDR fighter at a great price. The seller's name is Dennis Ross and his Ebay id is trucker_dennis@yahoo.com. We have been emailing back and forth, I sent the MO for the knife, I emailed him that I sent it and he said he needed my address and woudl ship the knife. I got an email today form him saying he's giving me a bad rating beacuse he had another buyer and I haven't contacted him. This is sounding to me like the other bidder/buyer may have offered him some more money and he is trying back under the pretense that I failed to contact him. Fat chance, I have kept all of my e-mails. I have contacted ebay for help. I am trying to get this guys phone number. I sent him mine, but if he is ducking me, he won't call.

If anyone has dealt with him and thinks they can contact him, I could use your help.

Thanks

Dirk,
You may want to let the gentleman know that the knife world is a small community and us knife nuts might not deal with someone with who doesn't follow up on deals.

Let us know how this works out. I am sorry about this.

Dirk, I am sorry to hear about this. I have bid on some of this guys knives but never won an auction. He usually has some Darrel Ralph stuff for sale and I'm sure thats what you are after. Anyway, forward your emails to ebay and try to get them to erase that feedback. That sucks. I have been threatened by people on ebay before and it is very hard to get feedback removed (if even possible). I hope you get this resolved. Keep us informed on the situation.
michael

Dirk,

The situation at hand really stinks. Looks like you got a heck of a deal on a heck of a knife. Hope it all works out for you in the end. If he really had an idea of the price he wanted, he should have started the bidding there to begin with.

Get your cash back now. Cancel or recall or whatever the mo and get it done right now. Don't let him have time to cash it. Internet auction sites are a hot bed of crooks. Have yall noticed all the false ads on there? The ads read Custom by so and so. When they are imported junk nock offs,stealing the ideas of US and other makers. Someone should jail these crooks. They also have fake auction where the seller has people bump your bid as much as they can to make the price go up. I have noticed this same crooked stuff on most all the auction sites.I had a guy awhile back call me to trade and then he says the knife is on auction but thats ok. His friends will bid it till the price is so high no one will buy it. That is what I call a crook. I just bid a knife where it said Mohawk by Tom Anderson. Well guess what it aint by Tom and it aint a custom. That is also a crook in my book. The auction sites know about this but as long as the bucks roll in you can be sure they won't do anything about the crooks. Remember what Mom said if you play with s**t it will get on your hands.

"And then folks say what's wrong with the kids today. That's easy they watch the adults."

Dirk,

I had a similar problem a while back.
eBay will supply you with the sellers phone number if you request his contact number.

hope it helps

recoil

I got Dennis' contact info from Ebay. Guess what, he no longer lives there and the lady who answered the phone has no idea how to get a hold of him. From the sound of her voice, I got the impression she was not pleased with this guy. I did a reverse look up on his address, phone and e-mail with no results. :(

Run down to the post office and stop payment on the money order ASAP. They might be able to do it on the phone. The fee is nominal, much less than the banks charge. They can find out if it's been cashed yet -- if it has that's mail fraud and they'll deal with it.

Also play the same game he played with you on the feedback forum explaining exactly what happened. Its not much I know but its something.Best of luck.
Bob

I received a call from the actual seller of the knife today! Apparently Dennis Ross is the sellers partner in business and is meant to be a silent partner. The actual seller is Dan Hunnicutt. Dan called and explained that Dennis ocasionally decides to answer e-mail and doesn't tell Dan. Apparently that is what happened here. Dan said he is shipping the knife out today and he is happy with our transaction. Since I am somewhat of a skeptic, I'll believe everything is cool when the deal is actually complete.

Originally posted by Dirk
Apparently Dennis Ross is the sellers partner in business and is meant to be a silent partner. Dan called and explained that Dennis ocasionally decides to answer e-mail and doesn't tell Dan. ...Since I am somewhat of a skeptic, I'll believe everything is cool when the deal is actually complete.

That is just too bizarre. Dennis decides to answer EMail, doesn't tell Dan? Whassup with those twins?

I agree... I'd believe it when the deal is complete. Too strange.

Originally posted by Bugs3x
Methinks maybe Dennis or Dan reads this forum??

Bugs and Rdangerer, I think you're on to something here. Doesn't sound right. Wondering if Dan IS Dennis , and he finally realized his "mistake." Also wouldn't be surprised if he is a member here. And what's up with the woman saying he doesn't live there anymore.
Bizarre covers it. Dirk, can you tell us what state he lives in?
Broomhilda

The knife arrived today! It looks like Dan Hunnicutt is as good as his word. I'm happy.

Dirk,

I went through the same thing last year with the same guy(s)! He/they have some of the best RMK's out there in ebayland, but dealing with these guys can be a Mo'Fo of a pain in the a$$!

I got the same story...."I'm selling the knife for my friend, who is out of town, but answers email anyway, and doesn't let me know, etc."

They're legit it seems, but way too bizarre for my tastes! Also, I got the impression that there was a cash flow problem, with waaayy to many balls in the air at one time...money coming in was needed to cover money going out it seemed.

Now, this is just my personal opinion, and should in no way be construded as fact...just very freaking weird in my book.

Never heard a fraud complaint about them, and as someone stated in a previous post, we ARE a very, very, small community, and fools will be outed quickly. Not that these guys are fools, just a little to "loose" for my conservative blood.

Wishing them all the best, keeping my wallet in my pocket... ;)

Around 1995 I met a man named Dan Hunnicutt who owned the Ozark Knife Shop in Springfield,Mo. and was an authorized Randall dealer.
Could this be the same guy?

I have bid on several RMK's from them. I looked at all their feedback and it all is positive. So, I assumed they would be legit. even though you got your knife, It goes to show we must be careful. they sell alot of knives on EBAY and I'm sure they know it is a small community.
I never realized you can stop a money order. Is it better to use the USPS m.o. or do they all work the same?
thanks, Dan

Dan, I have been told that money orders and cashiers checks work the same. If you want to put a hold or stop on one, you need to go to the issuing party and make that request. Similar to a personal check.

One of the things I picked up from this, as soon as you think there is a problem, take action to correct it. Don't sit back and give it a couple of days to straighten out. In the short term, you may offend the part you are dealing with, but that can be explained. In the long term, you may end up saving your money, knife, reputation or all three.

Back