Has anyone modded their Ontario RTAK II grips for comfort/size?

Backstory:
Once upon a time, I used to have an RTAK II. I enjoyed the reviews on the knife and was in awe of what it was capable of. Being a college student, full-time preschool teacher, new father, husband to a medical student, I had little time to play with it in the woods, or mod my blades. I also own a Ka-Bar bk9. I found that I preferred the ergonomics of the RTAK II much less than the highly ergonomic bk9. After receiving a speeding ticket (which to my shame, I fully deserved) my better half concluded that the only way to pay for it was to sell some of my beloved cutlery. Sad irony. The RTAK II lost the draw of the straws because of its chunky, extra large grip. Fast forward a year and a half, my folks asked me what I would like for my birthday. I told them a new RTAK II. Despite its grip, I'm still convinced that it's a good value/tool.

Have you guys found the same problem that I have with the Ontario RTAK II, in that the grips are way too "tall" and chunky to grip comfortably? I held it up next to my Bk9, and it seems that the swell where the middle of my middle fingers would be is much taller than it needs to be. I have a harbor freight palm sander that I've been thinking about taking to this swelled part of the grip. My concern is that once I sanded the grip portion, it would be then far more likely to rust the raw steel that would be in contact with my hand.
Here are my questions:
1. Has anyone modded the grips/handle their Rtak II, and not just to increase traction?
2. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding an inexpensive an effective way to guard against rust on the grip area?

I can't opine on any mods, not having done anything as what you mentioned... But, as for protecting the exposed steel after such a mod... I simply recommend paint. Truth is, spray can paint would look better visually, but paint in spray can form will lack the hardness, and therefore durability, that the identical paint will have when in standard can form. There are obviously all sorts of colors available, but it may be hard to match up perfectly in color. i would mask off the blade and most of the areas you are not going to need done, degrease and sand the area down with 220 to 320 grit, brush prime it afterwards, sand the primer with 320 grit, and then apply the paint. Just my opinion, but I think it would look just fine ☺

Here are my questions:
1. Has anyone modded the grips/handle their Rtak II, and not just to increase traction?
2. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding an inexpensive an effective way to guard against rust on the grip area?

Can't offer an answer to question 1, but as far as inexpensive rust protection for the exposed tang goes, just use the knife. Bodily fluids have very similar effect on steel as vinegar does. After some usage you will notice dark patina. This will protect the exposed steel against harmful oxidation (rust). The more you use it, the darker it gets.

Can't offer an answer to question 1, but as far as inexpensive rust protection for the exposed tang goes, just use the knife. Bodily fluids have very similar effect on steel as vinegar does. After some usage you will notice dark patina. This will protect the exposed steel against harmful oxidation (rust). The more you use it, the darker it gets.

Hmmm,
I think if the nail polish doesn't work out, this is the route I will go. If I were to really think about it, your idea makes the most sense. I don't think they had a ton of protectant options 150+ years ago. If it gets a decent patina from use, that will just be practical cool points :)
What's more, the sanding I've done on it (I don't have near enough sand paper to sand down the hump and make it more like a Junglas) has left the bare metal quite polished. This fact, I think, will make it more likely to darken rather than rust.

Great thread and question JT. I've got large hands, and still found the RtakII handle to be too large (tall) and uncomfortable..............but those BK handles will spoil a guy. Anyway, I've had my R2 for maybe a year, and haven't used it. I think it has potential, butI'am actually considering a Junglas just for the improved handle contours.

I mean sure I think a Junglass would be nice and I know they're a lot nicer as far as finish goes, but they're twice the price of an Rtak, and for me, it'd end up being a safe queen. I'm not afraid to thrash my Rtak.
Pretty much all my new blade come in the form of birthday gifts or Christmas presents, as the wife and I have a toddler and med school debt and new morgage payments.
It's a lot easier to convince the folks to get a sub $100 blade for me than one that almost goes for $200...
Either way, if I did get one it'd sit next to my customs in the safe. I figured that with $5-$8 worth of sandpaper I could make the ergos on the Rtak at least doable. And you're 102% right about the BK grips, they spoil a guy. I gotta try to get my mitts on a bk4 and 5 before they're gone. 😒

I hear what you're saying about budgets and priorities.

I'm drawn to knives like the proverbial moth to a flame, and choppers are just a seasonal phase I seem to go through. I could easily spend the next year trying to wear out what I've already got...........including my NIB RTAKII. I need to see if the RT2 has enough tang to accept a pair of BK scales.................THAT could be the holy grail of cheap choppers.

I'm drawn to knives like the proverbial moth to a flame, and choppers are just a seasonal phase I seem to go through. I could easily spend the next year trying to wear out what I've already got...........including my NIB RTAKII. I need to see if the RT2 has enough tang to accept a pair of BK scales.................THAT could be the holy grail of cheap choppers.

I never thought of that!!
I bet it would be!! Oh man, would that take some sanding!
It'd be worth it though!..

Great thread and question JT. I've got large hands, and still found the RtakII handle to be too large (tall) and uncomfortable..............but those BK handles will spoil a guy. Anyway, I've had my R2 for maybe a year, and haven't used it. I think it has potential, butI'am actually considering a Junglas just for the improved handle contours.
I have both an Rtakk And BK 9 and a junglas and for now junglas 2,you are right I love my Rtakk the most because of cost but the grips that Ontario makes out of micarta are garbage like their sheaths that's how they sell It for half the Junglas I'm just gonna pony up $60 at knife connection and get G, 10 grips that will make it like my junglas brother ,seems to be the best but most expensive way

You won't be sorry and it makes the Rtakk look like a cheap whore lol

They do fit

Back