Has your EDC changed since 9/11

To be honest mine has. I'm pulled in two directions. In one direction, I'm concerned about the increase in security and not so much the legality, but perceived legality, of knives. So I worry that if I am stopped and my knives are noticed they could be confiscated, even if legal. This makes me reticent about carrying my more expensive knives. And also makes me not want to carry my Kershaw speed safe knives for fear they will be taken because they look like/act like switchblades.

In the other direction, I am more concerned about personal safety and so want a good defensive knife on hand.

Am I totally off beam here? Be kind :)

Dean (concerned knife knut)

edited for spelling.

Just because some jerkoff terrorists used our preferred tool to hijack airplanes doesn't mean we're responsible... so the answer is a firm "no", my EDC hasn't changed at all... i'm still carrying the same crappy Springfield M6 Scout Knife which my mom says looks "intimidating"... maybe I outta get a REKAT Sifu and really show her what intimidating is :)

Ah well, this christmas i'm gettin' a new EDC... prolly a Spydie or a Benchmade but hey anything could happen... which reminds me, last night I had a dream I bought a Spydie... mmm... beautiful dream...

but I digress...

Point is... the incidents of 9/11 have in no way affected what knife I carry today, tomorrow, or 2 years from now, i'll carry what I wanna carry as long as it's legal, period.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
-The Second Amendment don't just apply to guns.

I have posted that I am a bit less inclined to carry very small knives because no kind of knife is legal on a plane anymore and most of my small knives were primarily used for air trips. I do believe that at this time, a knife carrier should make the extra effort to be legal in this environment. We owe to ourselves to know the local laws and obey them.

Yes I lost my commander that day working in New York, it was a bad day all around.Since then I have been carring my 154 talon. I am becomming a big fixed blade fan.Nothing is faster.

No changes here. OK. . .I lied ! I carry more knives now than I did on 9/11 !

I ain't lettin' a bunch of jagoff's, across the pond, dictate what and when I can carry ! :mad:

I was carrying my Mayo Medium TnT to work, then swapping out with my Boguszewski Cobra in the evenings. Then wearing my Kershaw Boa in it's G2 sheath on the weekends.

I've since gone to the Cobra exclusively for a folder, and have been trying to figure out a good fixed-blade carry method for outside-the-office. I'm very much open to suggestion -- both for concealable fixed-blade knives and concealment methods.

Mike

I've moved more towards the rugged "no nonsense" knives like the Sebenza or SERE 2000. I'm going to pick up a quality small fixed blade, probably a Dozier and then try to figure out how to carry it in a discrete manner. That will be a bit easier with the colder weather moving in.

No, I carry the exact same knives that I did before all hell broke loose. If I change what I carry it won't be because of what happened on 9-11. It will be because I have purchased a new knife.

Nope. I'm still packin' my REKAT Sifu, and REKAT Carnivour Cub!.:).

absolutely!!
I went from a TNT to a 1911!!
and Im looking for those cowards!!!!!!!!
God Bless America!

I usually carry 2 spydies 1 delica and 1 endura r&l.

but lately I have been spending more time with my fixed blades. I am thinking of carrying a 4" fixed once the weather gets a little cooler and we put on some clothes. I am sure it is legal in Mississippi.

This weird behavior has happened to me before. when I lived in seattle 2 years ago there was a serious mugging rampage where victims were being beaten to death by surprise attacks from a group of hispanic kids. they were right where I worked and I started carrying a 4" fixed concealed and very accessable. it died down after awhile and I replaced that with a spydie military which felt great.

it seems when I feel threatened I immediately go for a fixed blade and my folders feel flimsy.

plus I also feel that having a small PC knife(delica) for public use is best. since so many people get caught up in fear.

I'm pretty much a traditional knife fan, but since then, I have been looking at some tactical knives a little more closely. It's too bad most tacticals are so homely looking. We shouldn't be afraid to carry our knives. Sensible, yes, but not afraid. We should show the public that knives are not "evil" objects, used by bad people with bad intentions, but useful tools, and trusted companions. Kinda like dogs, without the fleas.

Tom! Your alive! :) I agree with Tom, but my EDC changed from a Compact 1911 .45 to a high capacity 1911 .45. Plust the usual knife on my belt.

Well, living in NYC, less than a mile form Ground Zero, I guess you could say I've become a bit paranoid......no, that's not quite it, since paranoia is caused by something imagined...."better prepared", maybe? Another blade or even a gun (if I had a carry permit, which I don't) would not have made much differance.

I have had to do some serious thinking about what I carry daily. Some thoughts to those of you who work in large office buildings, espically in urban areas: I now have with me -at all times - a SAK Champ and Leatherman Supertool in a belt pouch, a couple of flashlites - Photon and 2AA - and a Fox 40 whistle. Also, a small first aid kit, a couple of dust masks and a small bottle of water. That combo would have saved a lot of loves in the WTC attack. One side bar on that: there was a company the Trade Center that, after the bombing in 1991, issued an emergency kit to all employees: flashlite, dust mask and bottle of water, with tape to attach it under every desk chair. That company did not loose any employees in the attack.

Well, living in NYC, less than a mile form Ground Zero, I guess you could say I've become a bit paranoid......no, that's not quite it, since paranoia is caused by something imagined...."better prepared", maybe? Another blade or even a gun (if I had a carry permit, which I don't) would not have made much differance.

I have had to do some serious thinking about what I carry daily. Some thoughts to those of you who work in large office buildings, espically in urban areas: I now have with me -at all times - a SAK Champ and Leatherman Supertool in a belt pouch, a couple of flashlites - Photon and 2AA - and a Fox 40 whistle. Also, a small first aid kit, a couple of dust masks and a small bottle of water. That combo would have saved a lot of lives in the WTC attack. One side bar on that: there was a company the Trade Center that, after the bombing in 1991, issued an emergency kit to all employees: flashlite, dust mask and bottle of water, with tape to attach it under every desk chair. That company did not loose any employees in the attack.

Strangely enough, my EDC has changed.

I usually carry either a BM 735, Kershaw Random Task, or one of my MT's.

A few days after "the day," I needed to open a can of fruit while at work. I suppose I could have whipped the Benchmade out and brutally attacked the fruit can, but I decided to search for one of those plier-type can openers instead. Recently I have carried an old SAK military model with the aluminum scales. The can opener works great, and I prefer to use this type of can opener anyway. I still cary at least one of the aforementioned knives.

Our guns have been under attack for quite some time. Heaven forbid they come after our knives!

Sam

Sure has. Still carry a BM, But also an H&K USP and keep an MP5SD ready to rock under my bed!!!!! Paranoid?????????YES!!!!!!!!!!
wolf

and ride the DC subway, so my EDC has had to become VERY low key. I used to carry a Gunting as a utility EDC to fit my arthritic hands the best. But I now have chosen a Meerkat, as it is ultra-low profile and is even less intimidating when seen, quite the opposite of a Gunting. The grip size is still barly large enough to work, and it has no small buttons to release.

Back