Hasiya Report

The mail man came today bearing a small oblong box. I didn't know what it was because I was expecting a famous triangle box/chandelier component to arrive soon. Then I saw the HI address. Even with all the body & fender work on me carcass accompanied by some large bruising, Bookie was beamed down to the shop in mere milliseconds. Inside was the little hasiya offered the other day and as I examined it, it's appearance flat-out overwhelmed me. I had never seen one up close and personal before and always examine another craftsman's perfection or his interpretation of the same. Color me picky.

What I saw was one superbly crafted working tool that was almost perfectly executed with it's handle & blade tastefully decorated in a most excellent fashion. This is almost, notice I said ALMOST, as beautiful as my world's bestest Curved Spine and as well built, albeit on a smaller scale, as my superb, one of a kind, M43!

(Bawanna, if you have one or more of these jewels, you now have another second best.) The Good Lord certainly smiled on this child today! The photo Mrs. Martino posted simply did not do this little hand knife any sort of justice...which is a pity. Otherwise you could see just what you missed out on snagging for your own collection.

Having received a favorable report about our Grand-daughter at o dark thirty, we have been able to postpone our trip away from Corn Patch for a bit. The little hasiya was removed to the yard to try it out for what it was purchased for. It was bought thinking it would work like a hand sickle and be able trim up close to the base of the lilac bushes and around other plants--which it does in style.

But this tool is not like an American hand sickle as the angle of the handle to the blade is quite different. It started working as it would do as a hand sickle that I am familiar with, but soon it said, Whoa thar, Bookie. We gotta do sumthin' a bit differnt. (Notice it's already picked up the Corn Patch dialect?) A different hand hold was required to obtain maximum effective usage from the blade and with a little experimentation, it started gobbling up the weeds and grasses like there was no tomorrow. The blade is only sort of like a sickle and that too, required getting used to, but it certainly allowed me to get up close and personal to the plants-- far better than my old green sickle. Now the handle is smallish for my hand. I thought that disappointing at first, but when more of a finger controlling grip was found, that little blade really went to town! I was enjoying my labors so much, all my aches and pains were soon forgotten. Make no mistake, this blade is SWEET! Wish I had paid more attention to this product and listened to the guys who bought one long ago. Silly me. Couple of pics to share with you. Check out the little brass jingle-bob in the second photo. Nice touch!

In closing, all I can say is this : There are only two kinds of people in the world. Those who want a hasiya and those of us who have one. Definitely put one of these on your Christmas list for yourself, fellers.Hasiya 1.JPG Hasiya 2.JPG

I totally concur with your assessment. I was one of them early fellers to get one...:p

The little jingle bob was my favorite part.
I'll settle for having the bestest curved spine, I'll defer the title of bested hasiya to yall.

I can't compete in the M43 competition as :eek: I don't have one. Where have I been? Living in a cave or something? How come I don't have an M43.
I shall attempt to remedy that as soon as possible. That's asap for you folks what like short sentences.

I'm glad you got a favorable report on your granddaughter. I was hoping again this morning as I have several times that she would turn around and get better.

Hey Bookie, your bestest Hasiya looks a lot like mine, jingle bob and all. And glad to hear you and your granddaughter are doing better.

Thats great news on your grand daughter doc!
Now yall dont go thinkin yall got the best Hasiya now. Curved spine is one thing but I got the best Hasiya hands down. You and cul gotta fight out who got the second bestest! You got the best writeup for sure tho. I have to give it to ya for that one but dont good words make the bestest nuthin cept'n maybe a poem er sumpin.
3afcc8053023bca22ad08763b2c3eaba

Sure does work good on managing them blackberries!
3f0405baf664c6ace13e67b075b16f93

Hey! I'm bestest! Here's my contestant!

Hasiya.jpg

Hasiya - Kumar - 14inch - 19oz - Rhododendron Guras wood handle carved, and yes, it has a end of handle jingle bob too.

Truth to tell, I kinda like Scara's.

You guys win the beauty contest, but my "Ugly Villager Hasiya" will chop with the best of them. It's about 18" OAL, 14 oz. Made short work of some horrible bushes whose stems and twigs are covered in needles that go through even heavy work gloves, so you don't want to get too close. This is the only one I've seen for sale (at an auction), but I've seen several photos of women in Nepal using them. The maker is Vim Kami. There's some extra script in Devangari along the side of the blade. Can anyone translate it for me?

Hasiya18in-Vim14oz-01.jpg Hasiya18in-Vim14oz-03.jpg

The script sez: Bookie's Bestest Hasiya Manufacturing Company Limited, Frostbite Falls, Minnesota and Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States of America in capital letters.

Thats great news on your grand daughter doc!
Now yall dont go thinkin yall got the best Hasiya now. Curved spine is one thing but I got the best Hasiya hands down. You and cul gotta fight out who got the second bestest! You got the best writeup for sure tho. I have to give it to ya for that one but dont good words make the bestest nuthin cept'n maybe a poem er sumpin.
3afcc8053023bca22ad08763b2c3eaba

Sure does work good on managing them blackberries!
3f0405baf664c6ace13e67b075b16f93
Love it ndog!

Uh! David. Hate to break the news (no not fake) but it says "For Worldwide Peace and Prosperity Please send to ndoghouse immediately prior to new moon"! Uhhh. Im just sayin. :rolleyes: Glad I could help a brother out!

You are very welcome.

I do have a really ugly but scary sharp (obviously non HI) sickle that is used extensively to de-weed our lawns.

i'll have to dig mine out of the Trunk o' Khuks in the garage. I have a Hasiya that's easily 12 years old. It's been beat to death but still works great. At our old house, I had some razor sharp zebra grass that required it to be cropped every fall. A machete wouldn't touch the stuff. Grabbing fistfuls of the stuff and sort of scalping it with the hasiya did the trick. I don't miss that grass in the least.

Never heard of Zebra Grass?

Think of it as wide bladed grass that grows in a clump about 2' across and 4' high. It gets its name because the mature glass blades develop a lighter stripe on them like a zebra. Toothy, toothy, toothy grass that will cut you to the bone:p

Great review and pix,
Thank you

You know, I do believe Cul's got the handsomest hasiya I've seen. And as for Zebra grass, well......I hate to admit this , but I was thinking this was something Jake mighta been smokin' out behind the still he operates ever weekend.......

Back