Hastings Celebration at Marietta Mansion in Prince George County, MD

October 9 & 10, 2004 is the weekend for the Marietta Mansion celebration of the Battle of Hastings. Marietta Mansion Park is in Prince George County, Maryland, and is not too far from the Washington Beltway, I-95 in that particular section, I-495 in any of the others. The Longship Company is participating, although I am unsure if we will have a boat or ship there. If we do, it will likely be the Gyrfalcon, a four person faering boat. Dress should be Saxon, Viking or, (BOO! HISS! ) Norman. :D Living History scenarios and smallish re-enactment of the battle at Senlac Hill are available, along with various other events throughout the day, as are merchants to take your money and to supply your every need.
Here are the Legio XX instructions to the Park for their Roman Days. They are rather better than the County Historical Society's directions to their own park. http://whoa.femail.com/legioxx/rdays.html#directions

If any of you happen to make it, look for me over amongst the Longship Company people.

FullerH said:
Dress should be Saxon, Viking or, (BOO! HISS! ) Norman. :D

If anyone turns up with one of those funky Norman haircuts, please laugh at them before putting them out of their misery with a Danish axe :)

Sounds like it should be a good event Hugh, I look forward to the full report afterwardS!

Roger

When I was in high school I had the chance to go to Normandy for a couple of weeks. Of course we visited the D Day beaches, and the Bayeux(sp?) Tapestry. Incredible. Before visiting the museum where the tapestry is on display I would have never believed you could get a group of 14 high school students to stare so intently at a long piece of cloth. Great story behind it.

I would love to go back sometime, especially since I have developed more of an apprectiation for history (even if its French ;) ) since then.
That whole trip was something I will never forget.

missing Maryland suddenly......:(

(that and the Renn Faire.....)

Back