Recommendation? Hatchet axe in 14c28n or similar?

Not that I've seen. I don't think 14C28N is typically offered in thicknesses suitable for axes.

I don't have one to confirm because it's not something I want in an axe or hatchet but there is this Marbles hatchet which are supposed to be stainless steel.
s-l960.jpg
I can only find them for sale from a few Ebay stores ( $50 ), but I remember them being listed as Stainless steel on the Marbles website when they came out a couple years ago.
It may not be the particular steel you're looking for, but are apparently Stainless steel if you're dead set on it.

I don't have one to confirm because it's not something I want in an axe or hatchet but there is this Marbles hatchet which are supposed to be stainless steel.
View attachment 2287135
I can only find them for sale from a few Ebay stores ( $50 ), but I remember them being listed as Stainless steel on the Marbles website when they came out a couple years ago.
It may not be the particular steel you're looking for, but are apparently Stainless steel if you're dead set on it.
Those were made by Council Tool and are not stainless.

No, just they are definitely not stainless. Stainless is horrible to drop-forge and requires special equipment compared to regular drop-forging. Whoever listed them as stainless made a mistake.

To further that, Blue Ridge Knives owns the Marbles brand. Their current item listing on their wholesale site shows this, which is consistent with expectation for a Council-made hatchet.

14.25" overall. 7" axe head with 3" cutting edge. Hickory handle. Axe head is forged from 1060 high carbon steel and weighs 1.7lbs. Bit is tempered to a rockwell hardness of 48-55, and it is tempered from the bit up into the axe head at about 1.25" inches. Bulk packed.

Meanwhile the painted head version still has the older truncated description that accidentally listed it as stainless.

To further that, Blue Ridge Knives owns the Marbles brand. Their current item listing on their wholesale site shows this, which is consistent with expectation for a Council-made hatchet.

14.25" overall. 7" axe head with 3" cutting edge. Hickory handle. Axe head is forged from 1060 high carbon steel and weighs 1.7lbs. Bit is tempered to a rockwell hardness of 48-55, and it is tempered from the bit up into the axe head at about 1.25" inches. Bulk packed.

Meanwhile the painted head version still has the older truncated description that accidentally listed it as stainless.
I just did a quick look in that old thread I recalled ( surprisingly it was 6 years ago) and it seems you straightened everyone out right away regarding the steel.
I figured out right away that it was definitely a CT, but apparently not knowing what it takes to drop forge SS I assumed it would be an easy change to make for the contract.

View attachment 2287135
Thanks for the info! But I'm ONLY interested in that steel: 14C28N.

I don't remember seeing axes for sale at Sandvik. Morakniv herself "does not" use this steel in their ax. They use "boron" steel.
But I would like to see/use an ax with this type of steel and see how it behaves in woodland activities.

Karesuando Kniven from Sweden makes hatchets in Stainless Steel, what type is not mentioned, but they are VERY expensive . John
I was recently looking at these again after a few years and the price has skyrocketed. It was not that long ago that they routinely sold for around $160, exactly half of what they are now.

Back