Hatchet vs. Large Wilderness blade??!

and i need to buy a longer handled version of the gb axe to truely know how it compares to the corona saw cuz i only used gb backpaxe sized hatchet

A hatchet or half-axe is not heavier than a large fixed blade knife, and in cases where it is heavier the difference is only a few grams. I don't know why there is such a common misconception that axes are too heavy to carry but massive survival knives aren't.
Exactly. Many people point that large knives are lighter. They just forget to mention the shealth which often adds about +50% to knife weight.

As already said the main benefit I see for "big knives" is the ability to "precision split" aka battoning which might be easier than axe splitting under certain circumstances.

The weight argument is also kind of misleading. Many people complain because the axe is slightly heavier yet they don't mind hauling several useless kilograms of overbuilt packs, crappy sleeping bag or various useless camping equipment (and don't start me on body fat).

I’ve responded to one of these threads a couple dozen times and I’d bet I’d have at least 4 different opinions between them. :D

If it were only one tool and nothing else, a knife is more universal in my opinion. If the use is to process wood, the axe wins for me. Honestly, either tool can get the job done and a person who knows how to use either will do fine. If we’re chopping and splitting fire wood, I want an axe. An axe and good knife and you’re good to go.

The best all around tool I've ever used is the gb mini hands down. You can whittle traps better than a large knife and chop better than a knife of the same weight. For a pure weight to use ratio, nothing beats the mini IMO.

whats all this talk about choosing either a big chopper knife OR an axe?

this is Bladeforums, 99% of us carry both with us, and in most cases, sometimes 10 - 30 knives and several axes into the woods.

these are the few i brought for a simple day hike
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/Mephistocat/IMG_1795.jpg?t=1298441803

nuff said. Bring everything.

I'm with Bushman5. My Alice pack and Blackhawk Ruck both have room on them to carry an Axe (getting a Hudson Bay this spring), 21" Bow saw and Machete or Khukri. Thats inside the main pocket or strapped to the outside. Since this is the case, why would I limit my self to one tool?

If I'm concerned about the extra weight of my pack with the 3 tools vs 1 tool, I'll just get my self in better shape. Speaking of which, in PE class yesterday we had a 3 mile timed walk. I desided to carry my School pack with me on the walk around town. Figured it would help with getting in better shape for the camping/backpacking season. And the next time we do something like this, the pack will be heavier. I'm working at lightening my core set of gear so that I can carry more tools that help make the trip funner and easier. :) Best of both worlds IMO.

NO more political distractions. We have only one forum for that.

I removed 2 posts from this thread already. I will come back and remove every thread with political tendencies if I see any more of it.

Read the FAQ, familiarize yourselves with the rules for the different subforums. Ask if you are in doubt.

My opinion is that if you are worried about a 2-3pound variance in pack weight, you are already carrying too much. I also feel that while a saw might be more efficient at sectioning logs, the axe is a more serviceabe, multi-use tool for the longterm.

Rick

Why not carry both.
They are both usefull tools.
A machete is also nice.
Hiking and camping are all about fun.

My opinion is that if you are worried about a 2-3pound variance in pack weight, you are already carrying too much.
Rick

Not necessarily. If he can accomplish all his goals without carrying that extra 3 pounds then why would he? My daypack is currently 7 pounds. Can I carry more? You bet! But why would I want to when all my needs are met with just the 7 pounds?

whats all this talk about choosing either a big chopper knife OR an axe?

this is Bladeforums, 99% of us carry both with us, and in most cases, sometimes 10 - 30 knives and several axes into the woods.

these are the few i brought for a simple day hike
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/Mephistocat/IMG_1795.jpg?t=1298441803

nuff said. Bring everything.

I'm assuming you're kidding. You'd be hard pressed to find more than 3 blades on my person at any given time including camping/hiking. And that includes a SAK classic. Not everyone likes to haul a bunch of redundant steel.

Not necessarily. If he can accomplish all his goals without carrying that extra 3 pounds then why would he? My daypack is currently 7 pounds. Can I carry more? You bet! But why would I want to when all my needs are met with just the 7 pounds?

That doesn't change my opinion:p

I see where you are comming from. Though, I wasn't really thinking "daypack" more rucksack... Did I skip by that part of the OP or somethin'?:eek:

I wouldn't carry an axe on a day hike... just my big honkin knife.

Rick

Every tool has it's place depending on weather, terrain and individual likes/dislikes. Cutting tools can be as individual as the person using them.
Scott

The ability to use two hands on an GBSF axe handle makes a significant difference

I'm assuming you're kidding. You'd be hard pressed to find more than 3 blades on my person at any given time including camping/hiking. And that includes a SAK classic. Not everyone likes to haul a bunch of redundant steel.

no kidding here. I'm a knife and axe nut. I PURPOSELY pack LIGHT and minimal, just so I can bring more knives.

I'll rotate thru 10+ plus knives when prepping feathersticks for a fire, just to be able to play with them all.

The best all around tool I've ever used is the gb mini hands down. You can whittle traps better than a large knife and chop better than a knife of the same weight. For a pure weight to use ratio, nothing beats the mini IMO.

:thumbup:

IMGP1087.jpg

IMGP0637.jpg

IMGP0656.jpg

IMGP0625.jpg

Hypothetically speaking of course..... if one was in an urban environment and was concerned about feral people and dogs, then the GB mini would be useful because of its short overall length. I should imagine that it would fit perfectly into the map pocket of a jacket...
IMGP0725.jpg

Personaly , I think at the end of the day , go with what works best for you .
If you are thining of using a hatchet as your only tool , please be used to doing this before you find yourself with it as your only option
The same with the big knife .

I pack a hatchet and small fixed blade in my gear , but somehow , my folder in my pocket is my go to knife always or so it seems

I can chop down and process a tree quite a bit faster with a 19" Wetterlings than I can with the 10" blade Ontario RTAK II and both weigh ~ 2 lbs. Using the large blade would use MORE energy in my case.

Agree. For chopping pound for pound most axes and hatchets will outchop a big blade of the same size.

Where your big blade excels is in macheteing and chopping.

My opinion is that if you are worried about a 2-3pound variance in pack weight, you are already carrying too much. I also feel that while a saw might be more efficient at sectioning logs, the axe is a more serviceabe, multi-use tool for the longterm.

Rick

If I was to say/add anything....... the above would have been almost word for word.

A large chopper in the right hands is also just as, if not more functional than an axe. Just not my hands, or skill.

I personally still prefer a saw/axe combo with a Vic SAK. Just me of course. A day hike is different. A good sturdy fixed blade (mine is the Tops Pasayten) is what I am comfortable with.

Last edited:
My opinion is that if you are worried about a 2-3pound variance in pack weight, you are already carrying too much. Rick

Totally disagree there.

I used to labor under a heavy pack using that logic.

All I could think about was not the hike but how fast I could get to camp and set up and get that weight off.

DISCLAIMER: I am a backpacker. Not a hike in 3 or 4 miles and camper, so for those that pack in only a few miles weight is not so big a consideration.

Back