Hatchets: Guys looking for something on the smaller side to keep on the hearth, maybe

throw in the car for camping, nothing too expensive, but something that will last and can be handed down to the kids! TIA

Yeah, I know there's a hatchet forum, but I appreciate you guys opinion too!

From getting good use and handed down, I'd go with the Gransfors Bruks.., a little high but will last for generations.

Get an old vintage Plumb. They're easy to fins, relatively inexpensive, and any vintage one you find will have already lasted generations.

That Estwing 14" Sportsman is catching my eye, classic look, good ergo's, all forged steel construction, cool leather handle and a sheath!

+1 for GB, the price isn't cheap but the quality is outstanding. Another option would be to search your local flea markets, pawn shops, thrift shops, and antique shops for a vintage hatchet. I've picked up several older quality hatchet heads for only a few dollars that will do any chopping I'll ever need and still be around years from now when my son needs one.

Last edited:
I recommend something vintage most of all, but for a new one the Vaughan sub zero hatchet is awesome. They're only 20$ for an American made hatchet with great steel. They're a very small hatchet, but would be perfect for keeping in the house ( I use mine mostly for chopping up trimmed branches into little pieces )

Well guys after much consternation I decided on the Kershaw Camp 14 instead of a hatchet. Just so much more versatile for what I will be using it for. This thing is part camp knife, part machete and part hatchet. I can chop, split, baton, carve and still pretty handy for clearing, also the sheath and price at around $40 was the final selling point. Check it out if you're in the market, they also make a 10" and an 18".

PYILg8

https://goo.gl/images/PYILg8

Well guys after much consternation I decided on the Kershaw Camp 14 instead of a hatchet. Just so much more versatile for what I will be using it for. This thing is part camp knife, part machete and part hatchet. I can chop, split, baton, carve and still pretty handy for clearing, also the sheath and price at around $40 was the final selling point. Check it out if you're in the market, they also make a 10" and an 18".

PYILg8

Well, that's not a hatchet so it's not really gonna chop/ split the same but if it works out for you then that's great and I hope it does 👍
I also want to point out that the handle and sheath likely won't last forever so handing it down probably won't happen.

I've been looking for something like that and had no idea that Kershaw had one in their line. So thanks for posting. I think I'll look into getting the 10".
Rick

PYILg8

Well, that's not a hatchet so it's not really gonna chop/ split the same but if it works out for you then that's great and I hope it does 👍
I also want to point out that the handle and sheath likely won't last forever so handing it down probably won't happen.

Oh I still plan on getting the hatchet, just decided on this for now! The handle and sheath, if taken care of will be here long after I'm gone!

Come to find out my son just recently purchased the Estwing camp axe!

Looks like you already decided but I love my SOG tomahawk. With the weak sheath it came with it got left behind twice on a canoeing trip which ment I had to paddle my butt back to retrieve it but it was worth it. Since then I purchased the fancy kydex sheath for it. It now lives in my Jeep for any task that may arise. It was even used to cut up steaks off a large steel plate when in the backwoods and survived my friend and his brothers who I'm sure could destroy just about anything. I didn't see it mentioned above so thought I'd still add my $.02

hey i have seen some good responses, but if you can get your hands on an old boy scouts hatchet head they are small compact and hold some history and were made to take a beating.

Back