Hats off................to Opinel

Opinels seem to be multiplying like rabbits in my knife drawer. Here is a new no. 8 I picked up this week. It’s handle is made French Plane wood. I guess the tree is native to Provence and Southern France. Here is a quick pic with my Center Drive.

Last edited:
It’s handle is made French Plane wood. I guess the tree is native to Provence and Southern France.
I believe it is a type of sycamore. I remember seeing them lining the streets of small towns there. Google Earth seems to corroborate that:
kF2gvIS.jpeg

Opinels seem to be multiplying like rabbits in my knife drawer. Here is a new no. 8 I picked up this week. It’s handle is made French Plane wood. I guess the tree is native to Provence and Southern France. Here is a quick pic with my Center Drive.

I have one also subtly beautiful!!! I wonder if Opinel's goal is to make a No.8 in every useful hardwood available?? I find them all irresistable!!
Rabbits indeed!! Bubinga and Padouk!! 😁
(scratches are on the scanner, not the knives)
Exotic Opinels 1.jpg

Last edited:

Too bad you can’t get that knife in Carbone.

Too bad you can’t get that knife in Carbone.
Or any "exotic" wood, OR the waterproof/swell proof plastic/nylon. 🥺

Whe I asked they claimed the oils in woods other than their standard beechwood caused the Carbone blades to corrode!!! 🤯😳🙄

Yes, I knocked the heal off the top of this 07 and my 06. It feels much better in the hand. Here is the 06.
It looks like it will feel better - especially in those shorter-than-No.8 sizes!! :thumbsup:

Back