Off Topic "Have I met you..?" (Scammer.)

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm just taking a pulse here. In the past week I've had three occurrences of strangers reaching out to 'know me' better.

Twice on my personal Instagram account DM, and once via text.

In the IG cases it was a VERY attractive Asian woman who said my feed kept coming up on her feed as 'suggested'. Her ask: "Did we know each other or have similar friends?"

The account appeared legit with posts going back WELL over a year. Selfies, with friends, family, gym workouts, food, skiing; ALL high end. SHE was a knockout.

"You seem to be very interesting. I'd like to know your interests."

Then I looked deeper: she had over 900 followers and BARELY any likes. This kind of lifestyle and glamour would most certainly have dozens of 'likes'. 1 or 2? Hmmmm...

So I told 'her' that I thought it all was bogus, for this reason. Apparently I struck a nerve because the vulgarity and incredulence she spat back at me was, ummmmm, NOT feminine. Closed on the F-bomb.

Then it happened again, on IG, and tonight I just got a cell text: Same deal. 'She' showed me a comely photo, and stated she was now living in the states. "Let's be friends."

I blocked the number.

Is this a new Covid Variant?? Jeezus.

Anyone else get this experience? What actually happens when you play it out?

Lastly: If this happens to you, don't fall for it. Very appealing.

Coop

I haven’t had this exact scam, but there was a span of about 2 weeks when I encountered 5–6 different scams/scammers. I’ve becomes so disillusioned that I really want very little to do with social media or internet interactions. This forum has been decent as long as I remember, but the rest is slim pickings or downright rubbish. Needless to say, I’m not the least bit surprised by your account. Sorry…

Happens all the time on social media.
It's called "catfishing"
It probably wasn't Her.
If the posts are too good looking, you just know. (No offense)
It could be some low life looking for attention?
Most likely scammers.

Unfortunately, lately they aren't even human, many are just bots and A.I. looking for YOU

* Best thing is NO interaction, just report/block them.

On twitter I made the mistake of answering a Japanese person in Japanese. ぼくわがいじんデスエケド Anyway, ever since I get probably 10 DMs a day from Japanese girls with links to onlyFans. Been going on for 3 months.

It happens to me all the time. They're pretty easy to spot. Attractive young woman in her 20's. Not as many friends as she should have, considering. They all talk the same way too. Like English is a second language. I don't even respond anymore, just block & delete msg. Ultimately they're looking for personal info or money.

SharpByCoop SharpByCoop Those pics on that IG account you linked are AI-generated. Look at the fingers especially. TOTALLY FAKE!!! 😬 :rolleyes: Likely a bot.

I'm 70.
I've had 4-5 calls on my cell in the last year with a teen/young person going " Hey Grandad/Granpa, how are you? Just calling 'cause
I've got a little problem." Or something along those lines.
My oldest grand child is 4.
I just hang up.

Thank you guys! Haha. I'm NOT so special after all..... o_O

Now I'm heading off to find out more about 'car wash' girlz.... ;)

Back