Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

Using the Voyager for cutting out off-types. Cut about 700 plants, and did fine.

Tiny bit of spot stains, but the edge is still decent. Stropping should be enough to bring the edge back to poppin'.
View attachment 2469842View attachment 2469843
A handy design feature is the ability to move back on the handle and snap cut.
View attachment 2469844
After a long day at work...enjoying some octopus on the grill.
View attachment 2469845
love octopus. I go to a Portuguese restaurant here sometimes....guy I work with is from the Azores. he showed me the place. said it's the only one in town that is like food from his home. anyways, they do octopus and man is it good....

so I got an idear how tasty that was......

love octopus. I go to a Portuguese restaurant here sometimes....guy I work with is from the Azores. he showed me the place. said it's the only one in town that is like food from his home. anyways, they do octopus and man is it good....

so I got an idear how tasty that was......
IMG_9298.jpeg
It is pretty good! Some grilled and some ceviche.

How do you think it compares to Mora's 12c27n?
Well it's probably too soon for me to make a comparison.

But here is what I found so far.

It was actually easy to sharpen with DMT medium-coarse. It's very resistant to stains or rust, and responds to a hone pretty well.

I cut corn ears by holding them in my hand, and swiping the blade to cut off the tip and the butt, right through the husk, kernels, and cob.

After 300 ears the edge was still sharp. Put it away wet, and will use it again today.

The thin blade is doing a lot of the work.

Tommorow is my youngest son's birthday, so we celebrated a day early.

Put out some Ulua rigs....
IMG_9515.jpeg
One of my favorite pocket folders...the Recon 1. It made several Piñata sticks, prepared bait, opened food packages, helped with a scavenger hunt, etc. Love this knife.
IMG_9508.jpegIMG_9512.jpeg

Used a Cold Steel again to clear some trees for casting clearance.

IMG_9511.jpegIMG_9513.jpeg

You all have a Cold Steel shovel right?

Been on a watch kick lately. This old school Citizen is a great kick-around watch.
IMG_9561.jpeg
The birthday boy! We are treasure hunting.
IMG_9560.jpeg
My eldest daughter is starting to make a basket.
IMG_9568.jpeg
Not much luck fishing, but managed to get some Octopus when diving for bait.
IMG_9567.jpeg
Pretty nice day overall!
IMG_9509.jpeg

Damnit, MolokaiRider MolokaiRider this is your fault...

View attachment 2505383

I'm an adult, with plenty of self control, and was unable to resist because of you. I bite my thumb at thee.
It's a pretty fun utility kitchen camp style knife isn't it!

I used my Slock Master today again for cut up a bunch of produce to donate.

It's a pretty good little tool!

It's a pretty fun utility kitchen camp style knife isn't it!

I used my Slock Master today again for cut up a bunch of produce to donate.

It's a pretty good little tool!

Indeed. Mine actually ended up being an Old Steel model with a decently thick spine and respectable distal taper. It's already nicked me once in the kitchen and seems to fill a jack-of-all trades slot. I could see myself commissioning a similar knife in AEB-L. I might order another while I have the chance at another Old Steel. Heck, a slightly thicker blade stock would make an admirable survival knife.

Of course, it's your fault. All of it.

Short trip to the beach.
IMG_9783.jpeg

Always a great time to play with your knives, and teach the little ones too.
IMG_9780.jpeg
While I love Joker knives, I do not enjoy these thick and steep scandi-grinds. I don't really understand the appeal of this wedge type grind. On thin stock...yes. Thick stock...not my preference.
IMG_9787.jpeg
My view.
IMG_9789.jpeg
Didn't use this too much, other than to de-limb a fire poker. This big knife cuts things pretty darn well.
IMG_9788.jpeg
An old church we used to attend. Not enough funds or congregation to keep her going...but I am glad for the memories.
IMG_9796.jpeg
Yep...it's sketchy.
IMG_9795.jpeg
Part of the river running to the ocean.
IMG_9794.jpeg
A very old church that's all overgrown now.
IMG_9797.jpeg

Back