Hawks

Finley got around to posting what I have been working on this summer.
The one on the top is 1050 steel wrap around & forge welded construction, Rustic finished with file work and edge quenched, handle is Ash with tack work. Head is 6 1/4" high cutting edge 3 1/4"
The one on the bottom is made from a Ball Pien Hammer with a etched finish, file work filled with brass, handle is maple with tack work.
Both are listed on the maker sales
Gib

image053.jpg

image054.jpg

image055.jpg

That's great Gib, I'm really liking the filled filework. Really eye catching.

Glad to see what you've been up to. How does that 1050 weld compared to a mild steel with high carbon bit type setup?

Gib ya old fart! About time you finally made something. I like them both and I've got to admit the one out of the ball pien really turned out great! I've would have never guessed that it started out as a hammer.

Have the snow birds started returning?

Mark, I haven't tried the bit and mild steel process yet but this stuff welds great, real easy.
Ray, yes the birds are back I think that the only good thy do is keep the rent down.
Gib

Those look great Gib. I have to agree that filled file work is reall cool looking, Great hawks.

Awsome Gib, realy like the spike, and the welded one looks original. Nice touch with filling the filework. I've tried a few by wraping and welding, but haven't turned a good one out yet, looks like you've nailed it!

Back