Hazard Bowie- In Progress

Greg, I forgot to answer your question, sorry. I use satanite, I buy it from Ellis. The clay is painted on fairly thin, maybe 1/8".

Larry,

I won't have this one with me, but I will have a similar piece. This bowie is the prototype for my competition knife. I'm planning on bringing three knives with me; the comp knife, a medium bowie, and a hunter. I hope to see you there.

Matt

And I knew him when......Damm Matt You've come a long way since the baldeschool! But you were pretty intense then, why should that change.....
Awsome job. What kind of clay did you use?? I gotta try this one of these days...
Ed

Ed, the clay is satanite. I mix it with tap water. I'll measure the thickness on the next one, it's around 1/8". Don't worry, I still have a loooooooong way to go :).

Matt

Only one sheath left to go :).

Here's another update.

I decided to use wrought iron for the guard.

I neglected to take photos of the process...again. These photos are insultingly bad and somewhat patronizing. Sorry :).

I start with the wi bar.
attachment.php

Cut off a three and a half inch section.
attachment.php

Remove the oxidation (which is a lot).
attachment.php

Here is the guard rough shaped and pressed on.
attachment.php

And a mock up; bronze ferrule, curly maple handle, wi guard.
attachment.php

Yah Baby,come to daddy. :eek: It is looking awesome Matt.I'm starting to get that twitch.

A little bit closer. The handle has been shaped, sanded, and stained. The handle will take about ten coats of tung oil and then it will be bonded. I put two hidden pins in this knife, I'll take pics of them when I am ready to assemble.

attachment.php

The handle is slightly wider than the ricasso, my wonderful photography makes the handle look narrower than it actually is :).

Longrifle,
I used to work in Maumee and live in Perrysburg and both kind of remind me of the area i'm in now near Cleveland. What do your neighbors think of the knifemaking. I've come to an uneasy truce with some of mine, but most think its pretty cool.

Mike, the neighbors are ok with the knife making. I do all my forging in the garage, which is insulated; the noise isn't all that bad. Plus, I only forge for an hour or two a week. The rest of the shop is in my basement so it's pretty quite for everyone.

Good to see some people familiar with the area ;).

Matt

Back