HD camcorder for WIP and stuff...?

Hey guys-

Looking at some of the Holiday deals going on everywhere, I've been thinking it might be time to upgrade to an HD camcorder for WIP stuff, as well as showing finished knives.

Most of the reviews I've seen are people using the cameras/camcorders outside, shooting stuff that's fairly far away. Of course I'll be using this thing inside, and shooting most things up very close.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Please keep in mind I'm talking about broke knifemaker price levels... Like the Canon Vixia HF R400 (I've seen this in Black Friday ads for under $200). I'm never going to be spending $10k on a camera. :eek:

Thanks! :)

I got the HDR cx-290 (sony). It was on sale and it was relatively cheap for these guys. It works pretty good for what it is. Ill try and get a video made and post it up for you to see how it does.

If I were to buy a new camera for that purpose today I would go with a DSLR camera that can record video. Then you got an amazing camera that you can take your photo's with of your knives turn around and make videos with it as well. A lot of indie films are made with those little cameras.

The most important thing though for video isn't so much the camera but lighting, and sound. If you don't scrimp there than any of the cheaper camcorders or DSLR camera's will make your work look like you had a professional film crew make your videos.

Jimmy has a good point, extra lighting always helps

It allows you to use a large aperture number and small aperture hole which means, less grainy photo, large depth of field = almost everything will be in focus all the time.

Something that takes a simple lapel microphone means your voice is being picked up instead of whatever noisy thing the camera is pointing at.

What I would do is contact the folks that run the Youtube channels I watch and ask what they use, recommend and don't recommend

Matthias Wendel
Keith Fenner
Doubleboost http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnU6RUSFnlM
Jody at Welding tips and tricks
Mr Pete = tubal cain
Oxtools
abom79 - He uses Go pro, but cannot zoom
Tom's Techniques
Mattias Kristiansson

Even at low resolution settings, it's got great focus, ligting and clarity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxWB81CAsPI

Look for videos with excellent quality and see what they use.

I know that the camera I use seriously changes colour between still and video.

Especially on handle material woods, that will probably be important to you.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. :)

I hadn't really considered the DSLR option... Thanks for confusing me! ;) LMAO

For my knife photos I currently use the Sony camera that Jim Cooper of SharpByCoop dot com used back in the days when he really solidified in his name in the knife photographer biz. It's a dinosaur compared to what's available nowadays, but it's still a solid camera.

I take the videos with a little Nikon point 'n shoot.

Sam, that's a good idea... I wasn't sure how much time those guys would have to respond to a query like that, when they're busy making so many videos... but it's definitely worth a shot.

I watch most of those guys as well.

I hate that you guys pointed out yet another thing I know very little about and will now want to research (video lighting).... :eek: :grumpy: ;) Just kidding.... mostly... ;)

Thanks guys! :)

Thanks guys. :)

I hadn't really considered the DSLR option... Thanks for confusing me! ;) LMAO

For my knife photos I currently use the Sony camera that Jim Cooper of SharpByCoop dot com used back in the days when he really solidified in his name in the knife photographer biz. It's a dinosaur compared to what's available nowadays, but it's still a solid camera.

I take the videos with a little Nikon point 'n shoot.

Sam, that's a good idea... I wasn't sure how much time those guys would have to respond to a query like that, when they're busy making so many videos... but it's definitely worth a shot.

I watch most of those guys as well.

I hate that you guys pointed out yet another thing I know very little about and will now want to research (video lighting).... :eek: :grumpy: ;) Just kidding.... mostly... ;)

Thanks guys! :)

I've found that most of them will reply to you if you show what you do, the research you have done and ask genuine question

(kind of like you answering the questions you do here :) )

In terms of lighting and videos,

Matthias Wendel has done a couple of videos on his lighting and his cameras
He's using compact fluorescents lights in the daylight range
He's a woodworker and a computer software engineer - He can be snarky, but will respond to real emails
He's got a very detailed, systamatic approach - I like him for that.

Can you imagine the amount of youtube trolling from 25,000 subscribers ?

- probably the info that coop put in his light tent tutorial applies to videos too.

good cameras will also have the ability to adjust colour balance.

I think that's the way to go, emails rather than youtube comments.

I wont input on the camera, but I stumbled on a cymbal stand on CL. 74465_clipped-a5a6251a6af8b1815615fc15a7763ea1.jpg and I love it. I hated the tripod, if it was close enough , it was in the way.

I know it does not zoom, but I use GoPros for fishing and shooting, amazing little cameras with unlimited potential, mount anywhere, head, chest, on your file, sander, etc, if you drop it, hit, forge blows up on it, who cares it will be fine, plus it does 1080P full HD recording, and you can control it from your smartphone. I have 4 GoPro Hero3 Black editions and I love them to death. You can get the White edition for under $200 comes with waterproof case multiple mounts including head.

I know it does not zoom, but I use GoPros for fishing and shooting, amazing little cameras with unlimited potential, mount anywhere, head, chest, on your file, sander, etc, if you drop it, hit, forge blows up on it, who cares it will be fine, plus it does 1080P full HD recording, and you can control it from your smartphone. I have 4 GoPro Hero3 Black editions and I love them to death. You can get the White edition for under $200 comes with waterproof case multiple mounts including head.

If you can't zoom, then that makes closeups really difficult.

It seems like they are really well suited to capturing the big picture of action sports.

If you can't zoom, then that makes closeups really difficult.

It seems like they are really well suited to capturing the big picture of action sports.

They are, but you can get right up on something and get great detail, but having a zoomable cam might be better suited. I will post a closeup video when i get home today to show an example

Thanks for the replies fellas... I dropped some not so subtle hints to the wife... so for now I'm gonna wait till Christmas and see what happens. ;) :)

Matthias on that list I gave you mentioned something I just recalled

When shopping for cameras, he took along a memory card and a sample zoom in item
a notepad and pen to video the camera name

he used the demo camera in the store to take video of all the ones he considered

Then he viewed the video at home on his computer

It's easier than buying and returning half a dozen cameras or being stuck with the one you bought.

Sam, that is indeed a great idea... but I think Angi may have taken my hints and ordered me something for Christmas.

With the way my brain works, that would probably yield the best possible outcome anyway (almost no matter what she were to buy) because if left to my own devices, I'd research this for 6 months, get too overwhelmed by all the choices, and then never buy one anyway. :foot: :eek: ;)

That's doesn't mean I am disregarding all the advice! Just following up with where I'm currently at with this (and being brutally honest).

Thanks fellas. :)

Hey Nick I used my nikon d600 to shoot this video. sound too. it is a little above your budget though.

[video=youtube;7eY4iV7EsTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY4iV7EsTs[/video]

I thing he does a good job of showing how you can improve a video with lighting - suprise at the end.

He's great at diy tools from dumpster parts

[video=youtube;U5vScRbpsZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5vScRbpsZo[/video]

I hadn't seen any of his stuff until seeing his name in your list above Sam. I've watched quite a few of his videos and enjoy them quite a lot. He's definitely thrifty! :)

Bill- that's really nice! Unfortunately at that cost I'd be knocking on the door to a new grinder... ;) :)

Back