Headphones and Portable Audio

Does anyone else around here enjoy listening to music mostly through headphones, earbuds, or IEMs?

I have crappy neighbors so at least I can enjoy listening through headphones any time, day or night. If you enjoy listening some way other than home audio, I would enjoy talking about and seeing what everyone else likes as far as gear and your preferred players and/or audio apps. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, it just needs to be enjoyable for you. A cell phone or your old iPod and your favorite earbuds is plenty worthy of posting.

I started out with a modest pair of Grado SR80 headphones (thanks mom) approximately 7-8 years ago and caught the headphone bug, bad.

I like to use my Bose IE2 audio headphones. They've been working great for several years now.

Mostly I just use AirPods with my iPhone, iPad and Apple TV (or Powerbeats Pro with my Apple Watch.)

My main setup is Cowon Plenue D, paired with Shure SE 400 series IEM. I also use two older Sony Walkman MP3 players with Sennheiser IEMs.

Nice.

Here is one of my grab and go options, especially if I want something pretty much plug and play... no bluetooth, no streaming, nothing but onboard music. IBasso DX120 with 2x 400gb cards and NiceHCK EBX buds. I've tried (and owned) some very nice IEMs but found I hate anything jammed in my ear canals.

Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced earbuds that sound good?

awljOPp.jpg

I used to be more of an audiophile, but over the last 20 years I've mostly just listened to news, interviews, lectures, and discussions via YT or related audio/video streaming from my phone. The only time I listen to music anymore is when I'm working out, and I don't care about the sonic fidelity.

I've been using one of the cheapest USB Mini charging, slightly larger, headphones found on Amazon for the last 10 years. I'm on my second version because the first one developed rust on the charging port from leaving it in the car all the time. I think they cost me around $15 each. I use them for working on the house, mowing/trimming, and working out. If I didn't keep getting the wires hung up on gym equipment, I'd still probably be using wired earbuds, but good ones are pretty expensive, too.

Nice.

Here is one of my grab and go options, especially if I want something pretty much plug and play... no bluetooth, no streaming, nothing but onboard music. IBasso DX120 with 2x 400gb cards and NiceHCK EBX buds. I've tried (and owned) some very nice IEMs but found I hate anything jammed in my ear canals.

Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced earbuds that sound good?

awljOPp.jpg
Very nice setup!!! I haven’t bought any earbuds in the last 5 years or more, really don’t know what to recommend! My suggestion is to check reputable names Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, Audio-Technica, etc. You will definitely find something suitable!

I have a big component system I built, most of it 20 years old, except the receiver and sub. Its all in storage right now. I have two Bluetooth speakers. The original JBL flip, and a Marshall Kilburn II.
For headphones, I have JBL Everest Elite 100 as my workout buds, and the JBL Live400BT for everything else.

S Scott321 ,

I know what you mean about how things have changed for you over the years. I used to be way more serious about the audio gear I use than I am now. I am still fairly serious but no longer feel the need to own multi thousand dollar amplifiers and preamps. I think part (or even most) of the problem is due to my neighbors. I've never blasted my audio (that stopped over 30 years ago) but I think they really don't like it when I plug in my guitars. As time has gone by, I've focused a lot more on "quiet" audio options and less on home audio.

I can certainly relate to being tethered by wires at the gym, especially with a set of expensive earbuds or IEMs. Much like any other hobby though, I suppose your needs, budget comfort level or the size of your bank account are the only limits to how far up the food chain you can go.

S SixtyLion ,

Thanks.
The NiceHCK sound pretty good for what they are but I feel that I can improve on them for not too much more money although I do have some Audeze iSine10's around here. The Audeze are more like hybrids- not IEMs but not exactly buds either. They sort of sit at your ear canal and seal at the edge, unlike IEMs that don't seal well unless jammed in there well. These are as close as I can go to IEM's but earbuds really are a compromise due to the sealing, or lack thereof.

There are 2 problems with them though. They don't sound all that fantastic unless EQ'ed (sounds great with EQ) but the bigger issue is that they are open back. Great if using in a quiet environment but less than ideal when out and about with lots of ambient noise.
I would like to find something a little more "closed" although these are great for using at work since you can still hear people communicating with you.

oLgCHuI.jpg

I've been a fan of "cans" ever since I was a kid listening to shortwave on an old Hallicrafters receiver. Now I mostly listen to podcasts and YouTube videos. I recently picked up a set of Sony Bluetooth headphones for half price on "Prime Day" and have been using them quite a bit. Before I got them I used either wired or Bluetooth earbuds.

S SixtyLion ,

Thanks.
The NiceHCK sound pretty good for what they are but I feel that I can improve on them for not too much more money although I do have some Audeze iSine10's around here. The Audeze are more like hybrids- not IEMs but not exactly buds either. They sort of sit at your ear canal and seal at the edge, unlike IEMs that don't seal well unless jammed in there well. These are as close as I can go to IEM's but earbuds really are a compromise due to the sealing, or lack thereof.

There are 2 problems with them though. They don't sound all that fantastic unless EQ'ed (sounds great with EQ) but the bigger issue is that they are open back. Great if using in a quiet environment but less than ideal when out and about with lots of ambient noise.
I would like to find something a little more "closed" although these are great for using at work since you can still hear people communicating with you.

oLgCHuI.jpg
I got you buddy, wish I could be more helpful. Hopefully you’ll find something that will work for you, especially with all the sales!!!

I got you buddy, wish I could be more helpful. Hopefully you’ll find something that will work for you, especially with all the sales!!!

I'm not doing much traveling these days for obvious reasons so I suspect there will be plenty of time to find something suitable. The part I hate is trying to make a purchase without hearing them first. I did that with some stupidly expensive IEM's and ended up selling them at a considerable loss a few years later. They sounded great, as expected for the price, but I had no idea at the time how uncomfortable I would find IEM's.

In the mean time, I will just continue to enjoy my headphone rig, which I get way more use out of anyway. I wouldn't mind buying a better headphone amp once mine kicks the bucket but thankfully, I no longer feel compelled to upgrade my gear. I'm finally happy with what I have.

I'm not doing much traveling these days for obvious reasons so I suspect there will be plenty of time to find something suitable. The part I hate is trying to make a purchase without hearing them first. I did that with some stupidly expensive IEM's and ended up selling them at a considerable loss a few years later. They sounded great, as expected for the price, but I had no idea at the time how uncomfortable I would find IEM's.

In the mean time, I will just continue to enjoy my headphone rig, which I get way more use out of anyway. I wouldn't mind buying a better headphone amp once mine kicks the bucket but thankfully, I no longer feel compelled to upgrade my gear. I'm finally happy with what I have.

My Bose IE2 IEM's are pretty comfortable. They came with 3 different sized earpieces that fit onto them. They came free with a Bose TV box surround sound system that my TV sets on top of. I honestly expected to ship it back because I thought that it was impossible for it to sound like they said it would. So, I had to find out. But after I listened to it a couple of days, I kept it.

One of the things that drives me crazy with headphones is how over amplified the bass is. I understand that with rap and edm being very popular, people want to "feel" that bass. But, IMO, what started as a genuine feature for that type of music, became a way of selling crappy speakers with overboosted bass so unless you listen to something more instrumental, you don't notice the difference.

Everyone wants to pump up the jam now and then, but I don't want bass listening to James Taylor.

Thankfully, with phones and music devices having their own equalizers, this trend seems to be leaving. I really love my JBL Live 400BT.

Addendum:

Even in my 20's when everyone was putting subs in their cars, I would install my own stereo unit, speakers, amp. But no sub. I've always preferred sound quality over quantity. That isn't to say my systems weren't loud, but again, like headphones, the good stuff wasn't overpowered by a sub. Remember cruisin in high school blasting Judas Priest's "Painkiller."

Last edited:
Koss KPH30i - good cheap comfortable 'walk around pair'
Philips SHP9500 - budget accurate open back
Hifiman HE-4XX - planar open back
Beyer DT770 pro - accurate closed back
Mostly pc listening w/ small amp or cellphone with a app to play mp3s

One of the things that drives me crazy with headphones is how over amplified the bass is. I understand that with rap and edm being very popular, people want to "feel" that bass. But, IMO, what started as a genuine feature for that type of music, became a way of selling crappy speakers with overboosted bass so unless you listen to something more instrumental, you don't notice the difference.

Everyone wants to pump up the jam now and then, but I don't want bass listening to James Taylor.

Thankfully, with phones and music devices having their own equalizers, this trend seems to be leaving. I really love my JBL Live 400BT.

Addendum:

Even in my 20's when everyone was putting subs in their cars, I would install my own stereo unit, speakers, amp. But no sub. I've always preferred sound quality over quantity. That isn't to say my systems weren't loud, but again, like headphones, the good stuff wasn't overpowered by a sub. Remember cruisin in high school blasting Judas Priest's "Painkiller."

I don't disagree with your position or thoughts at all.
To each his own though. If one likes excessive amounts of bass and it works, great. Quite a few manufacturers have definitely started leaning towards unrealistic bass boost since hip-hop and EDM are so big these days. Because of this, I don't really find the trend terribly surprising.

I also prefer a much more natural or neutral presentation. If the bass is supposed to be there, I want to hear it and if it isn't supposed to be there, I don't. If there is something going on at 25hz, I need gear that will get me there but I don't feel compelled to have so much bloated output that it loosens the sheetrock or makes trim fall off of my car. I only look for an honest representation of what I think the producer or artist intended. IMO, a good set of headphones or speakers should be able to deal with 95+% of musical frequencies without a sub or embellished bass.

The "Painkiller" comment just took me way back to my youth. First real concert ever in 9th grade (1979)- JP on the Hell Bent for Leather tour, leading for UFO. Wow, that made me feel really old just now. Those were the days.... back when you could see a show for under $6.

This thread needs some pictures, anybody care to post some?

I don't disagree with your position or thoughts at all.
To each his own though. If one likes excessive amounts of bass and it works, great. Quite a few manufacturers have definitely started leaning towards unrealistic bass boost since hip-hop and EDM are so big these days. Because of this, I don't really find the trend terribly surprising.

I also prefer a much more natural or neutral presentation. If the bass is supposed to be there, I want to hear it and if it isn't supposed to be there, I don't. If there is something going on at 25hz, I need gear that will get me there but I don't feel compelled to have so much bloated output that it loosens the sheetrock or makes trim fall off of my car. I only look for an honest representation of what I think the producer or artist intended. IMO, a good set of headphones or speakers should be able to deal with 95+% of musical frequencies without a sub or embellished bass.

The "Painkiller" comment just took me way back to my youth. First real concert ever in 9th grade (1979)- JP on the Hell Bent for Leather tour, leading for UFO. Wow, that made me feel really old just now. Those were the days.... back when you could see a show for under $6.

This thread needs some pictures, anybody care to post some?

I'll throw up some pics tomorrow.

You've got some years on me (born in 79) but I grew up on a wide range of music. Got my first tape when I was 7 after getting a small "ghetto blaster" for my birthday. Gun's'N'Roses Appetite for Destruction. My neighbor and I used to sit on the lawn at night in the summer and blast music.

My first real concert (of my choosing) wasn't until I was 19. Summer of 98 was at Metallica's Reload tour up near Rockford, IL, and then a month later the Beastie Boys Hello Nasty tour in Chicago. Still have my Beastie Boys shirt from that your. I'll never forget being outraged that it was $35. The tickets were $40!

Back