Health Insurance bites

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Got the word this week that where I work, they are ending they're part of the payments and our rates will now go up 100%, about $1,600 MORE a year for workers with a family :(

I checked on line and if you try to get it by yourself, it's even worse, that on top of two car troubles makes for a nice week, on top of catching a duzy of a cold :rolleyes:

So just wanted to vent/wine a little...

G2

we dont catch colds in NV bud ;)

sounds like you need a little R & R , Vegas Classic 2005 is what you need.

Hope things start looking up for you sir.

Time to sew some more sheaths.....

Mine went up 80% last year. Really sucks considering that I haven't seen a doctor in 8 years. :grumpy:

We have always had to "contribute" about 50% for any coverage beyond yourself. We do have the advantage that folks in Higher Education are considered to be a "low risk" group, so we fairly decent HMO rates. Also, as a fairly large employer, the university can go looking for the best deal, which they do rather agressively.
The downside is frequent provider changes, with all the attendant hassle.

EmhartGlass is also fairly large employer but they decided that enough was enough and threw the costs to bare back to us, we have some options but as you can imagine, they are not too enticing and I've also been fortunate to have not drawn on the insurance, last time main item was my last daughters birth in 1991, so it's been a while!

But they get you with the burden that if you "don't" have any insurance something dire will occur and you'll look the fool for having turned down the insurance.

I checked on line about Dental and one was crazy, cost were about $55 a month, with a $50 deductible and a maximum payout for each year limited to $750. Now that makes a lot of sense!

Ah, but I am just venting and also being a little ill with a cold, which doesn't pay to go to the doctor as they will say get some rest. So you wait it out, it doesn't make for a right mind no doubt :(

The car problems were back to back trouble on the same day, my car died on the way into work, limped into an Auto zone, the guy was a little miffed as I got there before they opened but he finally warmed up to help. But he figured it was just a bad battery, easy to say as it wouldn't keep running, but there was an acrid smell that seemed to come from the alternator. I made it to work with a new battery but the wipers moved real slooooowwww, which told me I was running on limited power.

Then my wife came in almost crying, shaking, her van brakes didn't seem right, she heard a POP and the pedal went to the floor, barely made it to where I worked. We went up to get some brake fluid in my car, which just depressed me more as it ran rough and didn't sound right, asked about the price of an alternator, $90 plus $55 core fee, nice, ouch. Didn't get it then, one car at a time, went back, added brake fluid, drove to Mieneke and it was close to closing, about an hour and a half or so, turns out the rear brakes went out, terrible shape! one cylinder looks to have exploded, no doubt the POP she had heard, so that was $350 but they were able to do it right away which was a good thing. While they were working on the van, my wife and I walked a little ways to another auto zone and I picked up the alternator as I knew I'd not make it home and back again! So I got to figure out how to remove and install one, VERY tight fit on the Nissan Sentra, sits low on the front of the engine, had to remove a water hose in order to pull the alternator out and install the new one, but I did and it worked so I was a bit happier, albeit still nursing a cold that was growing stronger :barf:

Need to wrap up and get some rest, no sleep last night, from the constant throat pain waking me up choking, it's been a terrific week :)

Sorry for the long story, I know there are worse things that could have happened and I thank God that my wife didn't get into an accident due to faulty brakes, the rear brakes are some you just don't think about as they seem to last forever...let me tell ya, they don't! If your car/van/truck has over 100k, I'd recommend you have them checked out!
G2

G2,

Terribly sorry to hear of your troubles. Health care is a growing concern of most of us, or it should be. There doesn't seem to be any alternative at this time and it sucks.
The car trouble has plagued you for awhile. I do the up keep on a friends
1993 Chevy, 150K and I know where you're coming from. $300.00 this week
for a tune up, earlier struts, a battery and 4 tires. Keep the faith, I guess it's still cheaper than a car payment.
Hope your cold improves, makes everything else seem worse. I'd tell you to take a few shots of Knob Creek or ?, but I know you don't partake. Feel better.

Win

Farmers just told most of it's employees(who my wifw work for) that they would obsorb the cost of the rate hike of Medical Ins.Hooray.Guess we are one of the lucky ones.

Gary, my friend, all the best to you.

I am self-employed. I pay 100% of my health insurance, about $1000 a month for my family, and it is not great coverage. My wife has beaten bone cancer twice (thank God) so it is now almost impossible to switch her insurer; we have 3 separate policies now since that was the cheapest way to go--one for her, one for me, one for the kids. They all go up constantly even though we are all very healthy.

Gary, I hope you get to change the starter on that Sentra sometime. Easiest starter R&R I ever did--12 minutes start to finish!

Gary, if it is any consolation, a very good friend of mine said her health insurance is going up 24 percent, she pays 100.00 a week already just for her. Not to mention gasoline cost her 40.00 a week for a small pick up she has to drive 30 miles to work and of course the same mileage back home so she said she's dropping the health insurance to simply survive. She's on salary too.

Gary, get plenty of vitamin C and really chicken soup doe's help a cold. These weather changes can catch anybody off guard. I hope you feel better. :)

Thanks Cindy, the cold has moved from the throat to the head with much stuff coming out, if you know what I mean :( so hopefully it means it's winding down, at least I was able to get some sleep...

As to the insurance, it's almost enough to make you want to go to Canada, but they have their problems as well I suppose!

G2

Being self employed I have never had health insurance. in the 25 years we have been married I have spent about $60,000 on broken legs c-sections and other hospital stays that involved one of my daughters. Health insurance would have cost considerably more than that. I have nothing against insurance and would love nothing more than to have a good policy. I have to think about the past generations who did not have the health care we now have.
I wonder if we would take better care of our selves if we knew we would have to take full responsibility for our life style

Back