Heat-treating A-2

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
Getting some A-2 in for some bigger knives and was wondering what to expect from it, and some suggestions on how some of you heat-treat it.

Harden at 1780F. Air quench, then freeze overnight on dry ice.

A2 is toughest at HRC 60, so I usually triple temper at 400F for two hours each.

I use an interrupted oil quench on smaller blades, but have had problems with bigger ones warping in the oil so went back to air for them.

With this treatment, it is possible to bend the blades past 90 degrees without any effect-they spring back exactly like they were before. I use A2 mostly for large thinner blades like kitchen and fillet knives.

WOW! How thick is this A2 blade that can be bent past 90 degrees and not have any damage or set? I knew that A2 was pretty tough, but I had no idea.

I mentioned in my post that it was the large thinner blades that I have bent that far. I discovered it when I had a 9" x 1 1/4" x 3/32" butcher knife blade warp in an oil quench and I tried to bend it back-no go, it stayed just like it came out of the quench. It really suprised me when it didn't break.

It is really impressive for a tool steel.

So in answer to your question, it was pretty thin.

Thanks for the info Steve. I only made one knife of A2, it was for my Grandson. It was heat treated by Paul Bos. After My grandson saw me use a simple carbon steel knife to chop a sapling down to drag a deer, he wanted a tough knife. I used A2, and he has been thrilled with it. He takes great care of it. I was amazed how well it holds an edge. I have been using D2 for a long time and this A2 holds an edge almost as well.

Back