Heat Treating SF100 Stainless.

Hiya fellas.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did do a search..

I am looking to HT some SF100 and need to hold 1040c and I need a thermometer to maintain the temperature. Thing is, there are lots and lots of them, they seem to vary wildly in quality and application, and I dont know if they will do this temp/not melt. Does anyone who uses forge and a temp gauge have any suggestions as to which thermometer to buy? Thankfully I can oil quench this grade of steel without the need for cryo etc, but I do want to get the temperature part as right as I can.

Thanks

We need a bit more info. How were you going to heat the steel.
You need a HT oven. The HT oven has a pyrometer/thermometer. It isn't a steel suitable for a forge HT.

SF100 is about the same as 13C26/12C27.
Heat to 1080°C/1975°F, hold for 5-10 minutes, quench in canola oil, and temper at 175°C/350°F for 2 hours, twice.

I suppose you could do it in a foil pouch in a muffle in a forge, but heat control would be all over the place. You could use an 8-gauge Type K thermocouple and a PID as the readout (you also need type K TC wires). I don't recommend you doing this, though.

Last edited:
We need a bit more info. How were you going to heat the steel.
You need a HT oven. The HT oven has a pyrometer/thermometer. It isn't a steel suitable for a forge HT.

SF100 is about the same as 13C26/12C27.
Heat to 1080°C/1975°F, hold for 5-10 minutes, quench in canola oil, and temper at 175°C/350°F for 2 hours, twice.

I suppose you could do it in a foil pouch in a muffle in a forge, but heat control would be all over the place. You could use an 8-gauge Type K thermocouple and a PID as the readout (you also need type K TC wires). I don't recommend you doing this, though.
Thank you, Stacy. The thing is I only have so much cash to throw at my hobby and an electronic kiln/forge isnt in my stars I am afraid. So, I was hoping to use my forge alongside a the right thermometer for the job and hold it as close to the right temperature using a gauge.

Your money will be best spent on simple carbon steel (1084, 1070) if you plan on only using a forge. Hold on to your stainless until you can purchase an oven or send it out for heat treat.

Where are you based RickjoW?
Perhaps you can reach out to a brother maker and jump on one of their batches.

Thanks for the responses fellas.

Well, I intend to try stainless regardless and I think its doable. Alec Steel did some SS recently - no steel jacket and in a forge (
). So, ill be doing it either way I just need some advice on the correct temp monitor so as best to approximate the temps.

Way- I am in Cheshire, and while there are places nearby that will HT steels they do not guarantee straightness.. so I dont use them.

Cheshire UK?
I know it well. I am other side of warrington. Posh side. :)
I will do it for you in my oven, only upto 18"
My oven run costs a £5
I will put something in to split the cost with you.

Thats very good of you to offer but I want to get this sorted at home as I intend to do more and I like to be able to do it myself. I genuinely appreciate the offer though:)

Thats very good of you to offer but I want to get this sorted at home as I intend to do more and I like to be able to do it myself. I genuinely appreciate the offer though:)
That's OK, I like to do things myself also. That is why I bought an oven. :) I don't trust those pesky heat treaters. :)
If you struggle or results are not what you want (which is highly likely given your proposed method for a stainless steel) give me a shout.
Process I have for SF100 is 1080 for 30 mins, its untested though, manufacturers data.
Good Luck with your project!

Last edited:
I dropped on,
found a 2k SNOL lab oven on the bay, a farmer had been using it for soil samples.
I paid 700 delivered.
I can only get 1100 c max though, so its a little bit limiting but OK for my current steel usage.
I found that anything to do with knives had 50 watchers and daft prices.

I posted this early this morning, but it got caught in the site maintenance. I just showed up.

If you are set on doing stainless steel in a forge (not the correct choice), the best results will come from trying to imitate the conditions in a HT oven.

1) Preparation - The blade should be ground clean at 120 grit and to about 70% finished dimensions. The edge should be around .050".
2) Oxygen exclusion - The blade will need to be wrapped in a stainless foil packet and the edges double crimped tight with a mallet. You want the packet as flat and air-free as possible. No need for a piece of paper as many suggest. Dusting the blade with talcum powder may help if your foils tends to stick to the blade. Using the higher temperature 321 foil helps eliminate sticking. If doing the HT in a forge, a wash coat of satanite on the blade may be wise. Let it dry overnight before sealing in the foil packet. I have heard that thisprevents sticking and somewhat evens out heating.
3) Temperature reading and control - A forge often runs far hotter than a HT oven. Many can't be regulated down to carbon steel HT temps. Stainless steel is HTed in the 1000°C range, so the temperature should be controllable with careful adjustment of the air/gas flow. HT is best done with a blown burner, as venturi burners don't regulate as well.
You need a pyrometer to read the temps of the blade. You can make your own high-quality pyrometer with a type-K thermocouple, type K wires, and a readout. For a forge, a simple PID that reads to around 1250°C will work fine as the readout. The TC needs to be type K, 8-gauge bare leads, with ceramic insulator beads. You will also need about three feet of type K polarized TC wire and a TC mounting block (Make sure the TC, wires, and block are all correctly connected + to + and - to -. They all are polarized due to the different metals in the TC.). Amazon and eBay sell these parts as a "kiln" kit or separate for very little money. For the additional price of a propane solenoid and some valves, you can convert the forge to auto-temperature controlled - ***See note below.
4) Obtaining even heating - The foil packet will need to be isolated from the flames. Get a heavy walled pipe (schedule 80) or 1/4" wall square tube. Close one end off with a wad of Kao-wool, piece of soft firebrick, or weld a steel plate on it. You place the blade packet in this tube after the forge has been regulated for a good 15 minutes and holding as close as possible to the desired heat. **** See note below.
Place the TC on the inside bottom of tube, with the tip in the middle, and plug the open end with a wad of Kao-wool. Regulate the forge to attain an even reading in the HT range desired. The forge needs to be fully pre-heated to soak the refractory, so 15 minutes is a minimum soak time.
When the forge has soaked for this time, place the blade packet in the muffle tube and put the Kao-wool plug back in. When the readout returns to stable again in a minute or two, start the timer. When the time is up and you are happy with the temperatures, remove the packet for quenching.
5) Quenching - Oil quench and/or quench plates is best. Quench plates are thick aluminum plates (usually 2" thick and a couple inches longer and wider than the foil packet) that the foil packet is placed between and weighted or clamped. The plates both cool the blade plus prevent warping. If oil quenching, cut the end off the packet with heavy scissors and remove the blade with tongs or needle nose pliers. Quench in medium speed oil for about 20 seconds and then place in the quench plates. If not using quench plates, just keep the blade in the oil and hope for the least warping.
6) Post Quench cooling - Stainless steel needs a lower cooling temperature than carbon steel. Room temperature works for carbon steel, but stainless needs to drop to around -100°F/-75°C. Dry ice and alcohol bath will do that. If you can't do a DI bath, at least place the blades in the freezer overnight.
7) Tempering - Temper as soon as the blade has finished its cooling. If it was a dry ice bath, you can place the blade in the oven after a few minutes in the bath. If you used the freezer, it is good to let it sit for at least 4 to 6 hours. Temper in the kitchen oven at 170 0176C/350°F for two hours, cool in running water, temper again for an additional two hours.

NOTE:
In the stickys there is a thread about my two-stage PID forge control. It allows running a forge with a fairly constant temperature. This is used for carbon steel HT by many folks. It would work for stainless steel if you can take care of the other parameters. The whole conversion costs around $100 and makes a forge much better for many tasks. You will already need the TC, wires, and readout. The solenoid and a few valves is all the extra needed to make itself regulation.

Here are some threads on the controller build: (some photos and videos links may be dead)

Here is a sample of what parts are needed. The TC is 11 gauge, which is the absolute minimum. 8-gauge is better, and why many get all the parts separately.
Search "PID Temperature Controller Kiln Probe SSR Relay 40A HS ABS Box Pottery Glass F C"

Sometime next year I will start to offer plug-and-play units of my two-stage controller. I have a lot to do in remodeling the house and finishing the shop mods before then, but I'll let everyone know when I get ready to start selling them and other shop equipment and plans. Probably summer of 2025.

Last edited:
The most important part of heat treating is austenitizing temperature.

You will not be able to control that with a forge and a thermocouple. As much as you are determined to do it anyway, it’s not a good idea.

Hoss

No problem. Best of luck with the knife. Let us know how it goes, maybe a video? After you do the HT, a visit to Way-Barney's shop and testing the hardness would be a fun idea.

Last edited:
No problem. Best of luck with the knife. Let us know how it goes, maybe a video? After you do the HT, a visit to Way-Barney's shop and testing the hardness would be a fun idea.
You are too kind Stacy, don't build up expectations by calling my shed a shop. :) I wish.
If my arms were a foot longer I could stand in the middle and touch all the walls. 🤣

The shop I used for grinding for the last 25 years is 7'X8'. It sits by the smithy. I added a 12X15' shop on the back lot for the assembly and finishing and woodwork, then I build the new shop which is 20X40' two story. It is still half the size I would like.
Too late now, but I should have built a 40X40' two-story house on the back lot and used it as my shop and storage. I could leave the walls with a basic coat of white paint and the floors bare plywood. When I no longer want to make knives, I could clear it out, clean it up, paint the inside as desired, put down flooring, and sell it in a flash for a tidy profit.

Back