Heavy Duty Kydex and Leather for Swamprat Ratweiler

Extra Heavy Duty Prototype nr. 1 for old-style Swamprat Ratweiler

Guys.
I’m really proud of this one.

My mission was to make a sheath, that would be very stiff, secure, strong, very weather-resistant, comfortable to carry and use, and a bit pretty too. And here is prototype no 1 J.

It’s basically a leather pouch-sheath made of 3mm (0.12”) half tanned leather, wetformed around a stiff and sturdy Kydex liner that has a thickness of 3.2mm (0.13”).

The pouch is glued, saddlestitched with waxed tigerthread, and screwed with stainless steel Chicago screws. All the stitches are nested in the leather, so there’s no thread sticking above the surface of the leather, protecting it from abrasion.

The Kydex provides a very secure place to store the knife. The top of the liner is formed round the base of the handle of the knife, and so form a cup, that make the tip of the blade slide into place easily. No worry you are poking up the leather, when visibility is poor, and control sub-optimal. The last 1/3” the Kydex closes tightly around the guard of the blade, and locks it securely into place with a smooth ‘klack’.
The liner provides the stiffnes and the detent for the blade, so it can be clicked into place thousands and thousands of times. Bending the Kydex helps a lot since the bend in the spine will provide the key stiffness.
While in the sheath it is impossible for the blade to cut through the stitching as the leather is pressed against the kydex very firmly. Blade geometrie (full flat, high convex edge) will prevent the edge from ever reaching the thread. So no welt is needed. Besides that, the leather is molded over the split in the liner.

In fact, no vulnerable sewing thread whatsoever is exposed to whatsoever steel anywhere inside the sheath.

The Kydex liner CAN be removed, but it will be very hard to put it back into place. There’s a draining hole in the bottom of the sheath which will allow water and dirt to pass through, so it won’t be really nescesary.

The leather is supposed to cover the “pretty” part of the piece.

But the leather is there not only to be pretty. It feels pleasant in the hand and on the belt (much better then a stiff tek-lok), looks good, and acts as an soundbuffer, since sheaths made entirely of kydex, tend to be a bit noisy.
It’s dyed with Fiebings professional oil dye, and after that impregnated using heat with Sno Seal, which mainly consists of beeswax (what is good for leather mountaineering boots should be good for a knifesheath!!) so it doesn’t soften the leather or let it get sloppy. I let the leather soak up the melted wax until it’s saturated. It gives a mat shiny surface after rubbing and brushing of the excess after drying up.
The wax on the inside won’t see any abrasion at all during use, and will permanent waterproof the sheath between leather and kydex. Rinsing it down under water won’t be a problem!

The holes for the stitches are all handpunched, and as small as possible. The sheath has rounded and polished edges all around. This will prevent moisture and dirt to enter the leather, and is easier to wipe clean. The edge is very hard, and even cutting in them on purpose will give you a tough job.

There are multiple carry-options possible. The sheath can be hung down as a dropleg on an optional dangler/beltpouch (yet to be constructed), it can ride plain low, and high on the hip, slightly canted forward. The sheath can easily be strapped to a backpack, or hang upside down on a chest-rig. The knife won’t fall out hanging upside down. The amount of tension provided by the kydex is adjustable with a Chicago screw. The screws are all fitted with bronze and leather washers so they are pretty to look at, and won’t work themselves loose.

To be out of the way, the retention strap can be folded backwards and secured on the brass rifle button, or just hang loose vertically after opening up, so when sheathing and unsheathing the knife incidental cutting of the strap will be out of the question. The screw which attaches the strap to the sheath is secured with lok-tite, and bronze washers to provide a smooth operation which will not loosen the screw after a while.

The ergonomics are great. It’s easy to grab the handle of the knife full handed, and just draw it out.
Or, when retention is tighter, grab the handle of the blade, and use the thumb to push the blade out in a controlled way.

The sheath as shown weighs 222 grams (7.8 ounce)
The loops will support belts up to 2.5 “ wide

This type of sheath is not for the collector. Kydex WILL scratch the blade! It’s meant for user knives where some scratches more or less won’t make a difference.

This is one heck of a sheath guys!!

Parts, ready to finish off.
SheathRatweiler01.jpg

Retentionstrap folded backwards
SheathRatweiler02.jpg

The beltloop set-up. Next time I’ll do the topstitching in a different pattern.
SheathRatweiler03.jpg

Strap closed.
SheathRatweiler04.jpg

SheathRatweiler05.jpg

The ‘cup’ of the sheath.
SheathRatweiler07.jpg

The leather spacer, to prevent the edge of the blade to make contact with the rivet.
SheathRatweiler05a.jpg

Room enough to remove the spacer, and tighten things up solid.
SheathRatweiler05b.jpg

The draining hole
SheathRatweiler06.jpg

SheathRatweiler08.jpg

hope you enjoyed ..

martin
-sore fingertips

That is beautiful/functional! Did you have to go threw a few prototypes to get to that?

Nice job Martin, that looks like something Indiana Jones would use if he had better taste in steel.

That is one of the nicest "MooDex" sheaths I've ever seen!

Thanks for the kind words!

@ Hillbilly
I made a handfull of MooDex (I like that!) pouch style of sheaths before. That tought me a lot. Before that, my sheaths had the same liners, but they were entirely made of rawhide or halftanned, and not plastic.
It took me like 10 sheaths to come to this. And I'm still learning big time, though the curve of learning starts to flatten a bit..

I've ruined a lot of pieces of good leather finding, the "right" methods for wetting, molding, drying, hardening, coloring, waxing.. ..these never became sheaths, and that's more then 10..
The main thing about halftanned is learning to deal with the shrinkage, which is never exactly predictable. Every piece of leather is different, and therefore needs a slightly different treatment to reach te same results.
In this case, it's very important how hard the leather is pushing the kydex.. It should be very tight, but not too tight.. the kydex should do the work.. therefore I wetform twice, using different amounts of water.
..that's fun about leather.. It has character!

@ holeymoley
I guess it's the bronze an brass combined with the dark brown of the leather that does that. Yeah.. I like the idea, vintage, yet brand new..

But when I fit the knife with black or nickelsilver fittings, and trim and mold the drainage hole to a different shape, use black or brown thread.. add a loop or two.. the look would change big time..

@ Oku
Thanks man!
You are one of the guys that inspired me big time, combining cordura and kydex the way you do.

Thanks
martin

-next sheath will be for Fällkniven NL-4.
It'll be the same as this one, but with rawhide replacing the kydex part then.

mrrrtn,

Ummmm, I'm just a Kydex bender.......you might be thinking of Dan at Semper Paratus Tactical....I used to make his liners. Thanks though!

Keep after this stuff

Ah, it happens!

Just noticed....Netherlands? Where's Hillywood?

Had a fabulous trip out that way a few years ago an was fortunate enough to see a fair bit of the country. Stayed in Zeeland, went to seminars in Dordrecht and our local guides hit as many highlights as possible in the intervening hours.

Hillywood is Hilversum.
We call it Hillywood because it's the center of television making, and in the old days, moviemaking..

Nice to hear you had a good time here..

Take Care!
martin

Back