Heavy Ordnance Grade Basic 8 . . . HOGB8 . . . Specs, Pricing, & Pics!!!

I hope they are nice and thin at the edge.
I would think, and welcome any corrections, but with the FFG it should help but we're starting with a 350 spine - Would this be a good candidate for a convex spa treatment or not? I guess if you were a frontiersman and sharpened it every day from use maybe not because it would get really thick over time - just thinking out loud to see what the masters' might think about this???

I would think, and welcome any corrections, but with the FFG it should help but we're starting with a 350 spine - Would this be a good candidate for a convex spa treatment or not? I guess if you were a frontiersman and sharpened it every day from use maybe not because it would get really thick over time - just thinking out loud to see what the masters' might think about this???

The B8LE had a convex edge. But I think the same thing as you L, it would not be easily maintained in the bush. I believe I’ve read a statement by Ban Tang saying basically the same thing. It’s all about what is easiest for you to maintain in the field, which you will probably not have to do, he said. Still, for that reason I’m not a big convex fan and much more of a FFG kind of guy! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Just my 2 cents.

The full flat Busse’s in satin with blended edges have had the thinnest/best-cutting edges among big knives out of Wauseon in recent years, in my experience. B8LE edges are excellent, as are ASHBMLE’s. Most recent big Busse’s I’ve seen with coated blades seem to have thicker edges (can still be very sharp, just not as efficient at cutting through thick/tough/rigid material). YMMV

Yeah I guess for showpieces, the convex does look beautiful so I would take from this a hollow grind would be even better in the opposite direction on the performance scale.

Jerry,

Please send these out and we'll test and mod the edges for ya. We need answers to the big questions in life that only HOGB8s in hand can answer.

:D:D:D:D:D

Can' wait for this one, wonder if it'l feel odd. Cuzz of thick blade but the handle don't feel extra thick lol

So excited for these!!! The W8 is a little long in the tusk though. ;)

In my experience, with NMFSH, Ud need to spend slot of time in the Bush for the edge to need maintennce lol

The full flat Busse’s in satin with blended edges have had the thinnest/best-cutting edges among big knives out of Wauseon in recent years, in my experience. B8LE edges are excellent, as are ASHBMLE’s. Most recent big Busse’s I’ve seen with coated blades seem to have thicker edges (can still be very sharp, just not as efficient at cutting through thick/tough/rigid material). YMMV

In my experience, with NMFSH, Ud need to spend slot of time in the Bush for the edge to need maintennce lol

I’m not sayin that convex edges aren’t good or don’t have their place. The B8LEs and TG14s and SOBLEs are great workin and lookin imo! But, I think convex is possibly the strongest type of edge and works best on big choppers. Just sayin they would not be as eaily maintained out and about as V imho. Ymmv

Back