Heckler and Koch folder?

Just flicking through some (UK) knife websites eyeing up the next purchase, when I see a Heckler and Koch folder with a blade made of "X-15" steel.

Advert text:

HK Knife
For more than four decades Heckler and Koch of Oberndorf have been worldwide manufacturers for the Police and Military under licence. Nearly all Western elite forces are supplied by Heckler and Kock.

Heckler and Kock have now applied their engineering skills to the design of a superior folding knife.

The HK knife features an X-15 stainless steel blade which offers incredible cutting properties similar to ATS-34, whilst providing much enhanced corrosion resistance. The blade is available in a satin bead blasted finish, or with a super hard black titanium nitride coating.

The HK Knife has a glass fibre reinforced polymer textured handle with stainless steel linerlock for safe operation. An ambidextrous thumb stud allows one handed opening.

Comes complete with stainless steel pocket clip.

ALso available as the same specification with tanto style blade.

Click here and click on "Heckler and Koch".

So, can anyone tell me anything about it?

Danny

I saw an article in a knife mag about Boker that mentioned X-15. Then I saw the HK knife on ebay. Got it. That was 2 years ago. The knife is less than impressive. It would be an enjoyable letter opener if one owned a gun shop or shooting range and kept HK memorabilia as an office theme... you know, the paper weights, mouse pad, pens, mug etc.
I have the black bladed tanto. It is chisel ground. The edge bevel is approx. 45 degrees. Pretty obtuse. It does not shave or even scrape hair NIB. This is not a reflection of the steel's performance, simply the grinder's. The locking spring is light weight, while there is no vertical play there is appreciable lateral blade play. A light/moderate jiggle of the wrist will open the blade when held laterally. The thumb stud is plastic. I do not trust the mechanism for carrying. It simply sits in its box as part of my collection for now.
I'm sorry that I can't give a review of the steel's performance, but the knife design itself, in this case, is not the best medium for testing it.
I would only recommend it to an individual who colllects the aforementioned HK themed items.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of chisel grinds, especially not at 45 degrees.

I'm surprised somthing like that's made by Boker though.

Yes, I know of the knife you speak of. I actually owned 2. A teflon coated tanto version and a bead blast spear point. They are made by Boker for HK. My advice is to save your money and get a better folder. These HK knives are crappy and way overpriced. I actually got suckered into paying $100 US for one of them when the first came out. Unless you are a serious Boker collector or a fan of HK, don't even bother. If you ask me, a $30.00 Buck Odyssey is of higher quality than these Boker HK knives.

Hey shortgoth,

keep your hands off that cheap german trash ! I know what i'm talking about, because i am german and i see that crap here and there: it's not worth a s*** ! Nowadays it's almost impossible to find a proper german production knife, even Puma declined to the lowest quality i've seen for ages.
I don't know anything about english knife-brands, but i think those guys in the states produce the best ones. I'll stick to Microtech, Spyderco, Buck, Protech, MadDog, Mission...
The only cool german non-custom knifes that come into my mind right now are Busse's.

Gruß

Lorbas

Lorbas is right. I hate to say it, but German cutlery is not what it used to be. I am originally from Spain and was a big fan of German made knives, but the last well made German folder comparable to American made folders I've seen was the Boker Super Liner. Since then many of the Bokers I've seen have several quality issues that need to be addressed.

Wow, X15 steel eh? I'm impressed. Didn't that knife hold the air speed record until the space shuttle broke it? Or is this the same stuff the Ginsu knives used? If it's from Boker it must be quality!
Really, Boker has been doing some peculiar things lately.

I have a Puma Steelmaster black blade, and it's not "cat s*it" as we say in Sweden, meaning its not bad at all. It's not top quality but not rock bottom either. At least some models are good.

Back