Review Helikon-Tex - Raccoon Mk2® Backpack?

https://www.helikon-tex.us/raccoon-mk2-backpack-cordura.html

In the past, I have used Camelbak military and Eagle Industries gear. I'm considering this backpack for general utilitarian uses out and about town or the farm. Having some water with me and a place for a snack and rain jacket or umbrella is nice and, obviously a little capacity for random light shopping. I travel a lot between Oklahoma and Texas and it is actually pretty frustrating not being to able hit a water fountain in the rest areas and I don't want to spend the time and hassle of driving into towns along the way to find a store to buy a snack and some water. Heck even the fast food options are anything but fast these days.

What I don't want is excessive bulk or something overtly 'tactical looking'. Bungy cord for a jacket or umbrella would be nice and a place or two for a molle pouch is wanted.

With a nominal cost of ~$60, I'm curious about the quality of the pack. Does it have good sewing and a durable abrasion-resistant fabric?

I have tried various 'sporting' backpacks but, they generally fail pretty fast so, I need something with more robust construction.

What are the general thoughts on this Polish brand and this backpack? Or, how about something similar from another vendor? I realize this has a strong airsofter following but, if Helikon-Tex is making a good product at a good price I'll give it a try.

TIA,
Sid

Me, being an alpinist/climbing, I always think that these backpacks have the worst weight to capacity ratio. If you want bombproffness... then go for it, otherwise, there are better options out there. But forget about molle pouch compatibility. No matter how you look at them, they scream tactical... not a bad thing if you like that sort of style.

Mikel

Thanks Mikel!

I've had too many issues with 'cheap' backpacks so, reasonable weight is acceptable in a backpack IF it is really durable and can hold something heavy. Lightweight backpacks have their place but, I don't really have the need for a pack like that.

I have no experience with this specific bag, but the one I did have from Helikon did not inspire confidence. The fabric just felt cheap. I don't remember the model. Nothing broke on my bag, but I also went easier on it than I would with say, my Kelty MAP or Tactical Redwing. If you want this style of bag, check out Maxpedition. I think they are king of this style of bag and can very often be found on steep discounts. I paid $52 for my absolutely bomb proof Pygmy Falcon.

Back