Hello everyone.

Hello everyone,

I'm not normally the type of person that announces their problems publicly and spreads them all over the internet, but I've received a request from 300 Bucks to let the forum in on what's happening with me.

Back at the end of June, my left lung collapsed and during the treatment for that (severe emphysema) it was discovered that I might also have cancer in my right lung. Both lungs are in such fragile condition that even a needle biopsy was too risky, but the results of two PET scans have determined the diagnosis to be accurate.
The cancer is stage four and has spread to my mediastinum and involved some lymph nodes there around the esophagus which causes some very painful problems when trying to swallow at times. I was sent back to Los Angeles again where they installed a stint in my esophagus but that itself proved to be so painful that two weeks later, they removed it. At the time of that surgery, they installed a g-tube direct into my stomach and that's now how I get 99% of my nutrition and 100% of my medications.
I'm undergoing a thirty treatment round of radiation treatments in the hopes of shrinking the tumors so that I can go back to eating normally even if just for a while. The last PET scan showed a rib with cancer in it and there's just nothing to be done for that. They are radiating it also but there's little hope of stopping it at that point.

When the treatments are done, Hospice is going to step in and help my son with me. It's not like I require 27/7 care, but he insists on helping me with my feeding whenever possible. He is also the best we've seen even among all the nurses, at changing the dressing for my g-tube. Having Hospice involved will hopefully give him some time away on his own that he won't be worrying about me.
I didn't mean to write a novel, but it's hard to tell what's going on without the narrative getting a bit lengthy.

Thanks to all of you that care,
Dave

I don't know what to say Dave, other than I am truly sorry to read about your fight with Cancer. I can't even imagine what you are dealing with physically and mentally.

Dave,

I'm so sad to hear this bad news about you... Lots of prayers sent your way... I wish and hope only the best for you... Armand

Thanks Dave, I know that was hard. But, lot of Buck brothers were asking what was your malady. We are sad to hear details of your troubles but feel good to know the truth, but you will be with everyone on the forum in their hearts and minds. If we could wave a magic wand and at least give you strength to enjoy your Bucks we all would , I am sure. God Bless and Thank you for your message. 300Bucks

Thanks for the update, even if it was not what we wanted to hear. My prayers are with you to deal with the situation as best possible. It won't be easy. Lost a brother-in-law last Nov to the big C. He was only 53, and fought until the end. Just glad we had a lot of good times on here. Strength to your son also.
Harold

Dave, you are in my thoughts and prayers. May the Good Lord bless you and grant you peace!!

Dave, I am sorry to hear this. I appreciate all the thoughtful posts you made on this forum. You're one of the good guys.

Dave, when I first joined BF you were the first who befriended me and graciously offered me wise advice. I am very thankful for that and for the joy I've had in communicating with you and reading your posts. May God bless and keep you as you go through this, and strengthen both yourself and your son. Please know that you are being lifted up in prayer daily.

Dave, Know we are lifting you up in our daily prayers and hope a brighter day comes your way. DM

Thanks to all of you. Now I hope that you have some left for my younger brother (by 3 1/2 years). Shortly after retiring and moving back home (a dream of his for years) he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He opted for the surgery and all seem well for the first year or so, then the cancer came back. He was given the 30 or so radiation treaments that should have taken care of it but last Friday he was informed that once again, it's back and now there seems to be some delima about how to treat it this time.

Anyway, please save some of the prayers and good wishes for Dan, my brother.

Thanks

Smoke goin up for you and your brother Dave. We often read of miraculous recoveries, and I hope to read the same about both of you

Dave, sorry to hear about your brother Dan... So sending smoke and prayers from San Diego for both of you... I'll have my mom put a prayer in her prayer box for Dan to... I just found out my oldest friend from 4th grade has the same thing Dan has... We are hoping they caught it in time...

Take care,
Armand

Last edited:
Man, Dave, I'm very sorry to hear of the medical problems of you and your brother. Both of you are in my prayers. May the God of all grace grant to you His grace and comfort.

Dave, you know I always commented on your picture taking ability and your photos are missed here. Sorry to hear about your and your brother's health problems.

Wow Dave, So sorry to hear about all of this.
Prayers for you and your brother.

Larry H.

I've read a lot of your knowledge and experience for the past two years while on Blade forums. You aren't just words on a computer screen. I wish you the best, and religious or not you will be included in my prayers.

Back