Hello & Survive! Knife mods

Hi..

Some what new to the forum as a poster... Been along time reader though [emoji4] I put up a WTB post and maybe a question or two before.

I've recently got my hands on a GSO 4.1 "old spec" and feel pretty sure after some time searching, I found my "grail" knife. I'm not a collector, but an avid user, and I truly appreciate the strait forward simplicity of Guy's knives !!

So along with an official hello, I was wondering if anyone else is into modifying there blades ?? I'm probably going to endeavor to square up the spine on this blade once I procure a back up blade. I end up modifying just about everything I get to fit it's intended role, but I don't mind sayin I'm not sure what I'm getting into with this 3V. The stock sheath is over at Redfeather gear getting an adaptor fitted up, pretty excited about that!!

Anyway hi.. Glad to be here[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should check out the Survive! Knives thread in the Manufacturer's Forum. There is a lot of great stuff over there.

Thanks for the heads up... I checked it out and it looks like a good place to start. I did a search but this looks like it includes more then I got to come up

You can definitely square off the spine if you want to. 3v is a bit more wear resistant, so I'm betting that it will take a bit longer to mod it compared to softer steels.

Im wonderin how it will go with a file... I'm also concerned as how it will look,as I'm going to do the whole spine right up to the jimping, and I'm wondering what the transition will look like from the chamfered edge to the square, not to mention it will be lower. Not a real big deal on a $50 or $60 knife ... Little different on a $250 discontinued grail blade [emoji57]

A file will take a good amount of time.
Are you doing it just so you can strike a ferro rod, or are you doing it so you can scrap fuzz?

Both... That's why the ferro notch isn't really what I'm after... Also I like being in a position to get at the tip if and when it gets blunted.

I'll probably end up using my Dremel on it, as I've done with others... I can crank the speed down quite a bit to keep it from getting too hot while still taking material off

You do any mods on yours ?

Ahh ok. I wasn't sure if yours had the ferro notch or not.
You should be fine with a Dremel considering there really isn't a lot of material that needs to be removed.
I haven't modded any of mine only because I kind of like the rounded spine on my jimpless 4.1.

Survive mods......
15d5e06.jpg
[/IMG]
dy7n61.jpg
[/IMG]
an09yr.jpg
[/IMG]
2q08ygg.jpg
[/IMG]

I usually mod my knives. For more grip in certain places, thinner grind, fine tip, etc. It really bites me in the a$$ if I end up wanting to sell it though. Just make sure you'll keep the knife!! I am just learning this lesson as of this year, ok maybe this month I just learned.

I usually mod my knives. For more grip in certain places, thinner grind, fine tip, etc. It really bites me in the a$$ if I end up wanting to sell it though. Just make sure you'll keep the knife!! I am just learning this lesson as of this year, ok maybe this month I just learned.

I hear that ... I've gone through this a few times an ended up takin a bath on a few blades.... For some reason other folks don't seem to appreciate our modifications as much as we do [emoji849]. They want neewww [emoji57]

Survive mods......
15d5e06.jpg
[/IMG]
dy7n61.jpg
[/IMG]
an09yr.jpg
[/IMG]
2q08ygg.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry hale storm, I'm not able to see your pics... But I've seen some of your stuff on other threads and always very impressed !!

P.s. I'm I right in thinking you do custom kydex work ?

I haven't done a great deal of modifying on my GSO's, though I did add liners to my first-production GSO-10:

P1020116.JPG

P1020118.JPG

Only modification to my now-sold GSO-4.1 was a half convex edge (left the other side flat) - the first 4.1's were a bit thick behind the edge, Guy has since slimmed the geometry for improved cutting performance out of the box:

IMG_0624.JPG

Here are pics of an SK-4 with my Universal Kydex Sheath Extension (UKE 2.0), an attachment that fits every stock sheath from S!K, regardless of model, and adapts to ESEE, Mashed Cat, Boker, Azwelke, Buy Brown, etc. sheaths as well: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...sion-UKE-2-0-leg-straps-and-ferro-rod-holders

P1010612.JPG

P1010613.JPG

Yeah ... I've seen those UKE's around... Pretty clever, and I actually was fixin to try and pick one up before I got in touch with bill at Red feather gear. I was looking at having going with an adaptor but wanted the not so popular TOPS metal clip... which he was able to rob off another sheath.. That's a nice 10 are ya in line for a new spec 4.1 ??

Last edited:
Like many in the S!K subforum, I am indeed in line and waiting patiently ;) Also waiting on a 4.7 (which should come first), 3.5, and the 12. S!K puts out great knives with exceptional cutting geometry for the design :thumbup:

Momma toothpick just confirmed I got my wood in the snail mail yesterday now I need to grab my burlap. Everytime I see your 3.5 halestorm I'm inspired all over again. My 3.5 will be here soon enough.

Welcome fbhandler glad to see you posting here, would you not be satisfied with a ferro notch? If not I get making your knife fit your needs I'm just curious.

Back