Help, A bunch of my knives got wet!

Believe it or not, knives can withstand water.
Most knives can in fact be washed with soap and water.
Some recomend the use of warm water as a way for the heated metal to hasten water
evaporation.
Unlike a fixed blade, folders tend to retain water by virtue of its sandwiched constructing.
The aim is to ensure that everything is a 100% dried out before storage.
Trapped moisture is a huge no, no.
No doubt that some materials which make up parts of a knife ( as in its handle or scales ), may be porous in nature and soak up water.
Thus its best to avoid knives with such materials if water damage is a cause of concern.
There are of course some after care products which may help to coat or seal a material's surface and repel water.
Prevention is better than cure :)

I agree with this. I have tested knives in real situations exposed to water, wet, damp and salt water for lomg periods. Most modern knife steels just need a rinse of fresh water and a wipe. Yes- even after being in your boardshorts while hanging at the beach all day and having them in salt water soaked shorts for 14 hours +.

The problem is this with people that own many knives. They don't use them and carry them daily..

The knives that rust are usualy the ones that sit in drawers and never get used of handled (basically neglected knives by collectors). But ones that you use daily and even take them in salt water. All you need are rinse with fresh water and go into the pocket the next day don't rust. If you are really overly concerned about rust then just leave them in the sun for an hour to dry....and then use them!!!

Having had several folders accidently go thru the washer and dryer after being left in my pants, I wouldn't worry about it.

This ^ would be my choice if I didn't want to disasemble ... if it were my higher priced knives I would probably just disassemble them and wipe them dry ... leave it disassemble for a bit with a fan on and re-lube and put them back together.

Depending on how many knives that may take awhile ... in that case I would go the WD40 and compressed air until I had time to disassemble them.

But why disassemble?
I can't count the number of times my folder has been soaked or dropped in water, and I would never even think of taking it apart on that account.
If a folder needs to be taken apart, due to getting wet, I would say you got a bad deal on that folder.

I only buy folders with an IPX7 or IPX8 rating. They are tested to withstand dust and can be immersed in water over 1m deep for more then 30 minutes. Ask your knife dealer about the IPX before you buy. It will save you from worries later on.

My main folder is a Buck 112 from 1990.
I don't think it has any such rating, and it has kept going strong for close to 30 years now, with out a drop of oil.

So I suspect such a rating is a ploy from the manufacturer, to get you to buy a more costly knife.

But why disassemble?
I can't count the number of times my folder has been soaked or dropped in water, and I would never even think of taking it apart on that account.
If a folder needs to be taken apart, due to getting wet, I would say you got a bad deal on that folder.

You wouldn't necessarily have to take it apart ... but as I said if it were any of my more expensive knives I would ...

the reason being to make sure they were cleaned out well and lubricated correctly again.

If they are stainless and not expensive and depending on what you use them for ... then WD40 and compressed air may be all you want to do ...

personally I disassemble most all of my folders (and sometimes remove the scales on certain fixed blades to clean and wipe with a protectant) ... if I've carried them in harsh condition and gotten them wet or dirty ... just keeps them clean, sanitary, and lubed.

Is this a joke?
This has to be a joke. The guys knives got wet, and this is actually a problem?
I mean seriously, who cares if your knives got wet. Dry them, oil them, put them in the sun, put them in the dark, stare at them until you fall asleep, spray them with more water, maybe piss on them, do whatever you want. It's just a knife, who cares. This question is crazy...

Wipe them down with a dry cloth, then hit 'em with a hair dryer and they'll be dry in a snap. I can understand the concern with an OTF or other spring-action knives just because a lot of springs are in recessed compartments that can trap moisture, but for regular folders...nah it's not a problem.

Having had several folders accidently go thru the washer and dryer after being left in my pants, I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm with you ^. My wife just handed me my Kershaw Natrix she took out of the dryer for the third time :eek: and it smells just as good as it ever did, maybe better :D. No worries just dry them and forget about WD cuz that stuff sucks donkey balls. A light coat of mineral oil will suffice.

This has to be a joke. The guys knives got wet, and this is actually a problem?
I mean seriously, who cares if your knives got wet. Dry them, oil them, put them in the sun, put them in the dark, stare at them until you fall asleep, spray them with more water, maybe piss on them, do whatever you want. It's just a knife, who cares. This question is crazy...

Gosh I would like to make this whole post my signature.

........"stare at them until you fall asleep" "It's just a knife, who cares"

LOL!

Is this a joke?

Not a joke! Water is a dihydrogen monoxide, corrosive for steel and not good for human health.
I actually only drink water treated by the add of barley malt, hops and yeast and by a complex process called fermentation.
I've been said that the drink obtained has for name "beer" or "bier" or "bière" or "cerveza", not sure of the spelling.
I can testify that not only the taste of the beverage is good but as well that i feel better after drinking the first sip.
My advice: if your knife has been accidentally soaked in water then soak it immediately in a glass of beer.

Hope it helps.

Dan.

Not a joke! Water is a dihydrogen monoxide, corrosive for steel and not good for human health.
I actually only drink water treated by the add of barley malt, hops and yeast and by a complex process called fermentation.
I've been said that the drink obtained has for name "beer" or "bier" or "bière" or "cerveza", not sure of the spelling.
I can testify that not only the taste of the beverage is good but as well that i feel better after drinking the first sip.
My advice: if your knife has been accidentally soaked in water then soak it immediately in a glass of beer.

Hope it helps.

Dan.

I wish you and your liver the best of luck. :D

If the knives have carbon steel parts, this can be a big deal.
Remember newbies-all knives are not stainless.The OTF auto should be the most troubling-as the spring(s) are very thin carbon steel. Rust can eat through them very quickly.
So- here is the real dope on what to do if your knives get wet: Take them outside, blot/wipe/sling as much water off as you can, open them, and soak them down with WD 40. Wipe/sling as much of the WD 40 off as you can.
That's all. The WD 40 will displace water in all the hidden areas.
You don't even have to oil them afterward-as WD 40 contains mineral oil.
You might want to sit them on a few paper towels to soak up excess WD 40.
You don't have to disassemble them.
BTW- stainless steel that is used in knives WILL rust- so pay no attention to those that tell you salt water won't hurt them, no need to dry, etc.- because if moisture is trammed against the stainless, it WILL RUST.

Back