Help a newbie find a knife?

Hi there, I discovered your board recently as I have been researching my next knife. I have been reading posts & looking for info . . . now, I am ready to ask your adivce.

What I want is large-ish, every day carry folder, blade length + or - 4" but with preference for +, NOT a "tanto" style tip and preferably not serrated, clip must be on pivot end (rulling out Benchmade Axis models, and I am not wanting to spend more than $130 US.

I had been looking at SOG Pentagon Elite I & II but the clip is on the wrong end (for my use), Benchmade 710 but the same problem, Kershaw Scallion but it is a bit small, CRKT M21 the jury is out . . . I have only seen it on their website not on any "goodie shop" sites. All advice is recieved with greatest thanks.

P.S. Previous knives were S&W First Millenium Run (carbon fibre scales) preceeded by a S&W First Production Run. The most recent was hit by a JHP damaging the carbon fibre and shattering the blade, and the previous had a clip/ pivot failure. I am not planning on buying S&W this time.

Spyderco Military:
About 4", tip down, CPM-S30V blade steel, G-10 handles, sub $130, liner-lock, USA made, almost indestructable.

Shiden

"The most recent was hit by a JHP damaging the carbon fibre and shattering the blade,"

Please elaborate, inquiring minds want to know.

How about the Microtech Mini Socom Elite? It's a little shorter than the 4" mentioned, but is quite stout and in the price range. And besides, it's a Microtech..:)

John

"The most recent was hit by a JHP damaging the carbon fibre and shattering the blade,"

Please elaborate, inquiring minds want to know.

How about the Microtech Mini Socom Elite? It's a little shorter than the 4" mentioned, but is quite stout and in the price range. And besides, it's a Microtech..:)

John

How about Benchmade 806D2? The clip on that is reversible for tip up/down left and right carry. Strong lock, G10, D2 blade and full steel liners. I had some quality issues(bent blade and uneven grinds) with mine but will be getting another one either wed. or thur. of this week back from New Graham. The blades almost 4 inches exactly. It feels really solid in hand. I got the knife for $112 shipped.

Or the 806's fraternal twin (same handle), the 440C-bladed 805.

The first run BM 720's had fore-n-aft tapping for the clips, but no more.

The BM 630 should be out in February - it has your preferred pivot end clip, , 4"+ (4.3) blade, titanium framelock. MSRP is $220, so it's going to internet at around $135.

Chinook, Millie, Police, AFCK ,TSEK..The List Goes on..--Joe
Welcome to the Forums..

Yeah, that JHP thing was a bummer. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I had an unintended discharge w/ my Makarov, ricocheted off the concrete wall about a yard across my work table from me & hit my knife which was sitting nestled in my gloves, on top of my hat. The 95 Gr. JHP penetrated 5 layers of glove leather, the carbon fiber of my S&W, shattered the blade, and lodged in a few more layers of glove. . . . Expansion of the round was very good though the jacket did separate from the core. The upsides are: nobody got hurt except my pride; I don’t have any fear that the 9x18 is insufficient to ruin a violent criminal’s day, I value the loaded chamber indicator on my XD40 more, & my hat escaped without damage. The downsides are: even replicable damaged stuff costs money to replace, I REALLY irritated my wife (home but in a different room at the time), didn’t have ear plugs in, my gloves don’t block the wind near as well, and I am even more irked that Springfield Armory doesn’t have a decocker on the XD series which IMHO means it can’t be carried with one in the chamber. . . .thus making the Makarov a necessity (DA first shot, one in the chamber, carried safety on/un-cocked).

I inexplicably had not given Spydercos a close enough look. Hearing so many encouraging things about them is certainly motivation to give them some serious consideration. Nobody has mentioned the Gerber Applegate-Fairbain folder, either in this post or on the gun boards where I am a more frequent participant. . . . which kind of confirms my gut feeling. Microtech I haven’t heard of, but will now take a look at. Again, thanks. If anything else comes to mind, that I should consider (besides an NRA safety course) please add suggestions.

Gerber's quality has dropped a litte, since Fiskars brought them. Microtech has good stuff, but their customer service isn't something to write about.

But I was wondering, is the Spyderco Police a lockback? If so, can it be closed with one hand? I noticed that the Military and Police models have 4" blades (which I consider ideal) but the Carbon Fiber (which I am prone to) model of the Police is advertised at 41/8" which is very nice, a touch more ideal ;) Was this a misprint + wishful thinking or do I need to order a Police in Carbon Fiber and call my shopping done?

The lock back thing would be the one thing to "slow my roll".

cool.gif
Spyderco S30V Military
cool.gif

4" of S30V steel, thick G10 scales, strong "nested"(in G10) linerlock, enlarged SpyderHole, textured spine, and so lightweight that you'll forget that it's in your pocket. ;)

I believe that all variants of the Police have a 4-1/8" blade. It is a lockback, but the Spyder-hole makes one-handed closing easy, using any of several techniques.

--Bob Q

Back